Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see your garage!! (or I need ideas for organizing)

Lets see your garage!! (or I need ideas for organizing)

The move is finally finished for the most part and what I have discovered is that no matter what size my garage might be I seem to find a way to fill it to the brim with stuff and leaves me wondering how it got so full! So maybe I am in need of some organization ideas or just in need of a yard sale but I'm open to suggestions.

This is what I moved from:

I finally got my 2 car garage and there is a lot more space for sure but.....I think I can do better. Ideally I need a space to hang my TRX from for working out and a tad more space to get both cars in (although after the Monstaliner I am fine with the 4runner sitting outside.

This is what I was able to manage with making my own shelving:

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Sweet, a garage thread. I think we have a very similar space and similar amount of bikes, tools, camping gear and crap in general. You've done a lot with your space so far.

Now I'm not going to b*tch and moan too much about my desire for a 3-car garage, because this is the first time I've had a half way decent garage ever since I left home for college. I rented one house that had a garage, but it was a 1-car, barely fit the 4Runner, and the concrete slab floor had a 1" wide crack down the middle from which black widows would crawl out every time I even thought about doing anything in that garage.

So here's my 2-car, full of 2 cars and tons of crap:

What you can't see in the photo is the 4Runner is crammed to one side of the garage, literally an inch from the junk piled up on the side. My wife has trouble getting the baby and carseat out of her car and you simply cannot open the passenger side doors of the 4Runner.

With the 4Runner out, you can see how narrow the space is due to the kayak and all of the crates:

Things are somewhat organized, but there's just too much stuff, with 5 bikes taking up a lot of space and I'm to the point where I'm storing stuff *under* the 4Runner right now, like the bike rack and lumber. If I get any more stuff the 4Runner is going to need a bigger lift.

I do have a nice little alcove though, that gave me space for my tools without cutting into the space of the garage. Other than organizing the stuff on the shelves a little more, this part of the garage probably won't change much:

So here's what I've done to start rectifying the situation: we got a third car (that didn't help, haha), we had a baby and now have 3 strollers, 4 swings/bouncers and a ton of baby accessories (oh wait, that didn't help either), I added lighting and a plywood floor in the attic above the garage to accomodate more stuff:

and 2 weeks ago I built this from a kit to get the worst of the clutter out of the garage:

I have already purged everything I don't need, so my grand plan is to start moving a few things to the attic and shed, and install some of these overhead racks from costco to get the stuff off the floor and allow me to move the 4Runner over another 2 feet. That will give my wife more room for getting the baby in and out of the car. The fate of the kayak is unknown.

Last step would be to texture and paint the garage.

I'm not sure that posting my "problems" helps you much, but the six-week old baby at home keeps me up at night and I have a lot of time to think about solutions to problems that don't exist, as well as real problems like my lack of space. The attic and shed storage were a couple of those sleepless night ideas. If that extra space isn't practical or possible, I think you can do a lot with crates, shelves/racking and a little organization!
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 10-30-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Cough....well you kind of inspired me too actually and since I am fairly certain I will be here for another year or so I am looking into some freestanding metal shelves for the back true "storage area" to make more room for the scion (yeah I have the toaster car)

I really like the cubby for your work area. Its nice how it doesn't really take up any of the garage floor space. Also your shelves are better than mine. What you can't see is where a couple bow quite badly in the back lol. Too many darn books in boxes.

I found some shelving that might be worth looking at though. For $100 a pop you get a rack that will support 5k with some pretty good dimensions. It's made by Edsal and the model is trk-482478w5. Its on amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Edsal-TRK-4824...W3HZWV0Q70PM2Z

Also I am fairly sure my rocket box is roughly as hard to store as the kayak. I picked up my overhead storage for something like 30 bucks. It could easily go above the acura. I had to look for the link but hopefully it will help you out. The provided straps are junk though. Invest in some paracord and you will be all set. It has held my rocketbox for a year or so.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel your pain on the kiddos man. Just went through a binge of 24hr bugs here with my 1yr old and then the pregnant wife. Lord knows how I was spared but in any case I took pics of how I hung my bikes and a close up of the rocketbox storage. The rocketbox hangs approx. 80" off the deck so you don't bounce your skull off it when walking under lol. I felt that was an important detail

The bike hooks are meant for the ceiling? but they work just as well for the wall. I think they were 3 bucks apiece at the depot.

I agree with you on the 3 car garage lol. 4 years ago I had never had a garage of my own but I still had the majority of my tools and stuff. Kinda funny how stuff piles up just about as fast as the bills lol.

Whenever I do get around to building a house there will be two garages. One to park the cars and one for projects and stuff. Fixing and building stuff on my own saves me money and helps with relaxation.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-30-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Oh yeah with the bikes and kayak make sure they are bolted in a stud....I had a devil of a time finding one with textured walls but it was worth the effort.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

A separate car garage would be fantastic, but I'm going to be in this house for a while.

I have looked at different options for the kayak but ultimately I either need a second one for my wife (and a tandem at that so the kid can come), or sell it for now and do a new sport like stand up paddleboarding. Lots of parents let their little ones hang out on the board while they paddle, and they are easier to store.
    Speaking of which, check this out. (Another 2am web search when I couldn't sleep.) A guy sheetrocked into the attic space to make a recessed space in the ceiling of his garage for bikes and paddle boards. I can't do that in my garage since my new attic platform is directly overhead and I have a waterline and a gas line crossing perpendicular to the rafters.

I looked at the gear track stuff and it's too pricey. The costco overhead storage is pretty reasonably priced.

Do you have attic space?

I do have attic space but since technically I rent I can't go that far lol. Plus these houses, no matter how good they look, were built in the 70s and I wouldn't put weight on those tresses without finishing engineering first. Additionally since I don't own I also need to be able to break down my shelving....and put it back up somewhere else with minimal notice.

The only good thing about being in military housing and moving all the time is you learn what works....and what doesn't quickly.

My father put one of those folding staircases into the ceiling of his home and it worked out really well for him. Interesting place for gas and water lines. Those are not too much trouble to move though. Just the added expense of adding pipe and getting it inspected. Depending on your local rules you might even be able to do it yourself.

I really like the Costco overhead. Quality stuff and if I could I would put it in. Great idea for tall garages.

stamped and snail mailed
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I've found it necessary to use my attic space. Lucky for me the previous owners installed a floor and retractable stairs. We have tons of old kids stuff, our camping equipment, ice chests (7), my hitch basket, some bike frames and wheels, etc up there. The attic portion is above my garage and is the size of the two car garage.

With the kids and constant coming and going I never tried to get two cars in the garage, it just wasn't important. Rather I built my tool bench and put my tool chests in the cubby created by the in-laws room/office. We have seven adult bikes and they are hanging off the wall by the hooks Kyrtoroxx showed. I put the hooks into 2X12's and then mounted the 2X12's to the wall. The hooks bite a lot better in the wood and I don't have to worry about anchors in the walls or hitting studs. It also allowed me to keep the bikes close together to fit the most possible. The kids each have a bike as well as a scooter, they live on the floor in the corner and I have the distinct pleasure of kicking them into the corner on a daily basis. I thought about hanging them or organizing them but they are for kids and I don't want them to grow up as anal as me. Plus I want them to be able to get their own sh*t and play without help. We have a large flat driveway with another spot adjacent to the driveway that is gravel. The kids ride their bikes and play in the driveway and backyard every day so I don't cram the driveway or garage with cars as they get scratched up as it is.

In the attic I use Rubbermaid Action Packers to organize gear. Most of the other stuff are in identical large Rubbermaid containers. Each Holiday has a few, party supplies and other stuff that doesn't get used on a daily basis. Because of the easy access, weekly or monthly stuff is fine as I find myself up their anyways. In the garage I have 4 Rubbermaid containers I use under my work bench. One for car/bike wash stuff, one for oil changes, one for extension cords and one for painting supplies. The other side of the work bench has my welding table that holds my welding machine and about 80% of the items I need for a project.

I'm pretty particular about my tool chests and keep only tools in them. IMO screws, extension cords, boxes of things, etc don't belong in a tool box. I use organizers with small drawers for screws, rivets, fittings, etc. Plano boxes keep nuts and bolts. I'm not super worried about my tools getting stolen as I keep the drawers locked and they are so large and heavy you'd need dudes and a trailer to take them. I keep the drawers locked mostly because of the kids. They both help me in the garage so they know tools and how to use them but they are also sticky handed monkeys that like to climb. When me moved I almost broke my leg when all the ball bearing drawers on my large 40" tool chest opened and tipped on me. My chest and other tower are heavy enough to kill a little person so I instill fear in little ones and lock them.

Flammables and poisonous drinkables live in a fire cabinet I picked up years ago. If you want to get in trouble in no time flat leave an unattended can of spray paint in the reach of a kid. 10:1 they will not get paint on anything else but their face and red eye brows are not as popular as you think. Locked in the cabinet are spray paint, spray cleaners, oil, etc. On top of the cabinet is my drill press and 8" bench grinder.

Other than that I've got stuff on the walls of the garage. Folding tables, folding chairs, and assorted other things hanging from hooks. I've got a few shelves and a large radial arm saw but they have blended in well and typically have more stuff around them. I feel I'm better at making a shelf or box rather than purchase ready made wall organizers. I can't believe what they charge for storage systems that were created only to fill pages in a catalog. I don't care for them or their looks.

I'm due to take pictures of the house and the stuff in and around it so I'll snap some pictures this weekend.

I'm going out to home depot today to scope things out as far as shelving. I really would like an 18 or 24 inch deep shelf and I can pack at least 500 lbs on without it looking weak.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Not the cheapest, but darn they are good: http://www.lowes.com/pd_242473-1281-...r|1&facetInfo=
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Not the cheapest, but darn they are good: http://www.lowes.com/pd_242473-1281-...r|1&facetInfo=
    Yeah I like those but the heaviest stuff I have right now is books and while those are heavy they aren't that heavy. I sprung for a 5 shelf 4k limit from edsal and while I am not thrilled with the quality I am not worried about it falling down either. I am considering getting the heavier duty one for 100 bucks and wire shelving for the opposite wall where I store parts for projects and such.

I definitely opened up some space and cleaned up a little. I will see if the additional room for the car helps or not overall. Once I get my welder (which will go where the bicycle rims are) I will put the gym in and see where I stand from there. I might end up with a spacious one car garage and the 4runner can sit outside.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast