Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets see your garage!! (or I need ideas for organizing)

Looking good!

I am working on mine to get the 4runner inside so I can work on it. Uphill battle the whole way...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looking good!

I am working on mine to get the 4runner inside so I can work on it. Uphill battle the whole way...
    I actually just put the runner inside along with the grill and there is still space for another vehicle....but definitely not anything larger than a Camry. There's going to be a storm up here if I'm not mistaken soon so why not use the shelter.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looking good! You're doing better than most--many of my neighbors that have three car garages only have room inside for one car, at best.

When I was searching for garage organization I came across this picture. I love it.

And the polar opposite (I'll never have anything in my life look like this):

I would give that first picture 50 bucks to let me pick whatever I wanted out of there lol. Yeah that second pic is way way way too ocd. If I had the funds I would probably have shelves and all plastic boxes with a general label but those are so specific that it's like looking at a word bank.

Finally stuffed both cars in. Not too bad as I can get in and out of both vehicles without becoming paper thin but I think I will end up with just one car in at a time. The Scion actually has a paint job worth protecting plus it's getting cold in the desert and I still need to stay in shape.

Proof of how small the Scion is. It makes the 3rd gen look long and bulky lol.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I was able to snap some pictures tonight. Everything needs a little tiddying up but the garage is such a commonly used space in our house it's always in some sort of disarray. My garage is like a working shop with something always being worked on. I haven't felt the need to spruce it up much since I like to use it more than I'd like it to be like something in a magazine. Without my work bench we can fit both cars in the garage but again it gets used so much by 4 people it would be fruitless to park both cars in there.

Here is my work bench. It's in it's third house now and I never got around to building something nice which is suiting seeing it gets the heck beat out of it. The main center and both outside corners have steel mounted to the top for durability and something to whack or weld on. The book case/thing was build my yours truly using scrap and 10 minutes. It too is in it's third house and by some miracle hasn't fallen apart. Under it are some led strips powered by my solar generator. The VHF radio is also powered by the generator which is the black box on the top left of the book case/thing. I used an extra ProClip receiver and mounted it to the wall. With it I can use the cradles I use in the cars and mount my tablets or phone. I like this because it keeps them out of my work area but still usable for music or a youtube video when my talent runs out.

Here is under the work bench. To the left is the welding table with welder, tools and scrap. To the right are the oil change, paint, extension cord and car wash bins. Just next to that is one of three floor jacks and cribbing type wood for when I like to get chancy.

Here is the table. It was my first welding project with my old HF welder and bed frame.

Here is where most of my hand tools are. I have separate storage for my travel/offroad tool kits, powered and hand saws, clamps and larger carpentry type tools. The wall that juts out was an addition to the interior square footage creating a 4th room. Although a larger garage would be nice I actually like the additional interior room.

I totally forget where I got this cabinet but it was like a week after I cut off my thumb which places it in September, 2002. I had a reconstructed thumb that I was hoping would take and had to load this thing in the back of my old truck with one good arm/hand and one not so good one. It's heavy because the right side is/was a safe. The door is just a door and behind it was a safe door I cut off. It was locked when I 'found' it and I had to cut the door off to use it. The left side are regular file drawers but thicker. They house some PPE, most of my electrical stuff and I totally forget what is in the bottom drawer. The right hand side is spray paint and other spray cans, oil, fuel type stuff, gear oil, etc. I had to put a lock on the door to keep the kids out of it (remember red eye brows?). I bolted a piece of 1/8" steel to the top and then the grinder and drill press. It should be top heavy but because of the safe wall part it's pretty sturdy. The day it isn't is when it smashes a kid or the hood of my wife's car.

Traveling anti-clockwise in the garage is the bike corner. At a minimum I ride 5 days a week year round so A bike had to be accessible all the time. That one bike differs from day to day and sometimes it's two in one day so I just made them all easy to get to and off the ground. The lower area has the compressor with a 28 gallon tank and an additional 9 gallon tank behind it against the wall. It's out of the way and turns on when I need it. It's got a coupler on it and I have a hose reel near the work bench on the other side of the garage. Air line travels through one of the conduits on the wall. The radial arm saw is awesome and was built the same year I was born. It dims the lights when it's on and commands authority. So far we're still pals. I use the lower part of the stand to keep paint, stain, caulking guns and my miter box and saw. The green Rubbermaid is our tortoises' winter resort.

The rest is storage of stuff we use frequently or stuff that doesn't fit in the attic. The four folding tables and folding chairs are super handy to have around and seem to get brought out or taken somewhere with us all the time. The grey rolling thing is a The North Face display and weights more than 100 pounds empty. It holds bike parts and carpentry tools. I put some peg board on the front and had it loaded up but the kids got into all of it. It's all spendy stuff and nice things I use so some of it got stashed on the table of the radial arm saw or in the grey metal bins. All I left for them is a dull hand saw, a staple gun and duct tape.
    Under the raised wood platform are long lengths of angle iron, tubing and pipe. The shelf has my wife's field gear for work and my go stuff for CERT. On top is a paint sprayer, abrasive chop saw, sanders, circular saw, universal multi tool and recovery gear. The tables, chairs and bike stands are corded to the wall and held tight with some spring attachments.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-03-2014 at 10:16 PM.

I welded this pull up bar with the remaining pieces of the Thule rack I cut up to build my bike rack. It's the best thing I've put in the garage. It's prefect to hang things on to dry or to paint. I've also used it with ratchet straps to hoist. Right after I bolted it up there I pumped out 4 pull ups with the plan to get good at them but lost train of thought. I do some every now and again but mostly admire my welds when I walk under it. The hose and cord reel keep that stuff at the ready and off the floor.

My wife's car is pretty small but has plenty of room around it. We come and go so much if it we put 2 cars in there the thing would be scratched to hell all over. As shown it's about 7 feet from the wall on the drivers side and about 4 feet from the stuff over there. More room is left on the passenger side since the kids and me need room over there. If stuff is left on my work bench my rule is that it gets thrown away, if it's not mine. It's one of the places I can do work and have to myself. I purposely leave it gritty or dirty to thwart any idea of encroachment. Note, the attic stairs door is visible over towards the stop sign.

I finally got rid of my snowboards and extra skis when we moved in. I keep the skis we use, their poles, 5 fishing poles and 3 fly rods along with my large floor jack handle up on the ceiling. They rest on an old pair of Yakima bars held to the 2X4's by large eye bolts.

All my yard equipment and other large non garage things live in my 6X12 shed. I purposely do not use it as storage for house stuff otherwise it would be filled and in my way when doing yard stuff. I do keep some large pieces of plate steel and expanded metal in there but mainly because they are big, heavy and have sharp edges.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-03-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Man you've got everything pretty organized!! And an awesome workspace to boot. Also had some great ideas on kid proofing a garage which thankfully I probably won't have to worry about for a bit....but they don't stay small for long either.

I like the pull up bar but it's really close to the ceiling. I'm planning on hanging mine at 8 ft or so with 4 ft of width whenever I get around to it.

I gotta start looking for more tool storage as well in the near future. Currently the big red cabinet is my haz storage as well as my location for wood working tools and precision equipment. Also not sure if I will keep metal on hand or whether I will just get what I need for projects and have a small scrap bin.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You asked, you shall receive:

The shelf is 4 feet high (clear), ~4.5' overall, 12 feet wide, 4 feet deep. It was built to keep the table saw from becoming a shelf. Right now it is very inefficiently packed on top. It has some furniture that needs to be sold or donated, and some boxes and such, but generally needs to be cleaned off and stacked with boxes, bins, etc. We are debating on keeping it, but for now, it stays.

All of the stuff in front of it is in flux, but generally half of it is yard sale/donate, half is good stuff to keep.

Back corner of garage:

Trying to compress as much as possible so I can pull the truck in. With these shelves on the back wall, I will have about 18 feet to pull in, which is just enough for me.

Width wise, I will have about 9 feet, the truck is 6. Not much room, but it will have to do.

Scored these tool chests for less than half price.

Everything on the far left roller dolly is 4runner supplies and tools.

Right now, we are working on some electrical to get florescent lights in. They will be on a 4 way switch, so all 3 doors will have a light switch to turn them on. We installed the jack-shaft opener a few weekends ago, man is it nice! Now we have full height in the garage with the door down. We painted the floor a couple of years ago, but it didn't last. I prepped the hell out of it, so I am not sure where we went wrong. Ohwell.

Goal number one is to get the 4runner in. But, getting light and other electrical done, plus doing some organizing and cleaning in the process is helpful. Maybe next weekend I will get her inside, but probably the weekend after.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You guys are making me jealous. I wish I had a garage to organize.

Sean, those tool boxes look great, and I like that new garage door!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Yeah, they aren't the premium chests, but they are ball bearing and will hold basically everything we want to put in them. And yes, thank god we got rid of that terrible garage door!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast