Thread: Wrightwood area trails.

Wrightwood area trails.

We have some pretty amazing trails very close by that I've enjoyed. The area they cover is extremely beautiful and sees quite a bit of use from hikers, car campers and hunters. The utter BS of the yellow legged frog was blamed for decommissioning a popular campground and the road leading to it, but some shocking info was just posted up on the Big Pines facebook page. Its a long read but basically the forest service would like nothing more then to continue decommissioning an area that represents 50% of our forest roads and shut down the last secluded camp ground.

The road was recently opened due to pressure from hunters after remaining closed since late spring last year. I had the unique opportunity to travel the road last fall when someone had broken the gate and the road appeared open. It was in fine condition then as it was today. Its being kept closed because the FS is not interested in having it open is my take on the situation. I'm sure this is the same tune being played out all over, but being my back yard, I've been keeping close tabs on it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-P...81185338620103

here is a guy named Robert and his response to a hiker that would like to see the roads closed down to protect the wilderness. The comment of "come on snow fall" is because the entire area is closed from the first snow fall to well after the ski resort is closed. In this area that represents a very large chunk of the year that these rangers dont have to be bothered with doing anything.

Robert W. Morgan A lot of people in the USFS agree with you and there has been talk of decommissioning the road for all the reasons you have mentioned, but as you can imagine, that would be very controversial, yes, mostly with the hunters and 4 X 4 enthusiasts. It would also be a very long process with a lot of red tape. You can't please everybody and somebody is always unhappy and threatening legal action. Thankfully we still have the services of the CCC for another month. Rec-34 was sent down into Lupine yesterday to check out what needed to be done down there in the campground to put the CCC to work. (trash pickup, graffiti removal, fire ring replacement, bathroom repairs, etc.) I understand that there are hordes of hunters in camo down there. :O) I'll admit that the complaints from the hunters had a lot to do with getting the road open. The road is still in terrible shape and will no doubt be closed again very soon due to public safety. Having patrolled for the USFS as a volunteer for the last 8 years, I'm like you, I'm happy when the road is closed. It takes a big chunk out of my day to go down into that canyon and there isn't a lot we can do about what goes on down there. The Forest Service personnel working out of Big Pines are all happy when it's closed also, but need to also take into account the demands by many of the public that wants the road open. Come on Snowfall!
    heres some pictures from the area. The snow ones are from today

Last edited by troyboy162; 11-01-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Pretty area!! Definitely a cool area to camp or just breathe some fresh air for a bit.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

its amazing up there! The lupine camp site is especially nice. its way the hell out in the middle of nowhere. A wash out keeps all but trucks out of it so its never crowded. Secluded area with toilets for the ladies, and fire pits for the smores...Hard to beat WHEN the roads not gated
    Last edited by troyboy162; 11-01-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Hmmm it's not far from me eirher. ...at least not very far. Maybe that will be a first camping trip...Craigslist sells the best tents during the off season lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf