Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen Cargo Shelf

I am aiming for top of the wheel wells, just like my sleeping platform. I can store all if my tools plus most of my food and camp stuff under there. Ice chest goes on top.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It would be nice if the wheel wells were symmetric, blasted filler neck bump. I do like to sleep in the 4Runner when I'm able. A wheel well level shelf won't make that possible. Higher will actually be nice since I can sleep under it and leave stuff on top. One down side to sleeping inside is finding somewhere to put all the interior cargo, especially in bear country or in wet weather. I have to stuff things under the vehicle, on the front seats and fill up the dash. With the kids in their current size I could probably sleep one on the shelf like a bunk bed.

I also use the heck out of my side pocket storage area. My version uses the larger door and I have that thing stuffed with everyday stuff I always want to have with me. Back in the day I imagined making a box on the passenger side wheel well that expanded the cargo pocket. It would also allow me to store stuff in a box instead of having a loose duffle bag. It would also allow things to be stacked on top and in front of the door yest still retain access.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    It would be nice if the wheel wells were symmetric, blasted filler neck bump. I do like to sleep in the 4Runner when I'm able. A wheel well level shelf won't make that possible. Higher will actually be nice since I can sleep under it and leave stuff on top. One down side to sleeping inside is finding somewhere to put all the interior cargo, especially in bear country or in wet weather. I have to stuff things under the vehicle, on the front seats and fill up the dash. With the kids in their current size I could probably sleep one on the shelf like a bunk bed.

I also use the heck out of my side pocket storage area. My version uses the larger door and I have that thing stuffed with everyday stuff I always want to have with me. Back in the day I imagined making a box on the passenger side wheel well that expanded the cargo pocket. It would also allow me to store stuff in a box instead of having a loose duffle bag. It would also allow things to be stacked on top and in front of the door yest still retain access.
    You could look at one of those tents designed to connect to the 4runner although that would kind of negate the bear country idea.

Haven't decided where I will sleep although I have slept out in all kinds of weather before. Sleeping inside would be nice but I would be just as comfy on a cot or in a hammock.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Just tossing it out there, what about an overhead shelf?

A lot of FZJ80 overland type guys do an overhead Cargo shelf in the rear.
    I know the area is bigger in an 80 series than a 3rd gen, but the concept could be the same.

This is the best picture I could find in a quick search over on Mud, but the one I was thinking of is wire, not a strappy one.

Also, could you benefit from something like this for the kids?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I like that! It helps to have the upper mounts for the jump seats to mount stuff to.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

In an 80 there are no upper mounts for the jump seats. Only mounting point is on the wheel humps.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

That cargo net looks to be attached to the oh shit handles in the back. What might be interesting is if one did a removal of the niceties like plastic and headliner in the cargo area to make a compartment with nets and the like. I bet you could really organize stuff in there.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    That cargo net looks to be attached to the oh shit handles in the back. What might be interesting is if one did a removal of the niceties like plastic and headliner in the cargo area to make a compartment with nets and the like. I bet you could really organize stuff in there.
    Most of the 80 series guys I have seen have made a wire shelf (a lot like the seat blocker I posted) and have used the grab handles mounting location and hardware to mount it. Doesnt make for a ton of room, but gives you 6-10" high shelf the entire area of the cargo area. That coupled with a rack at the front to keep things from sliding forward, I think you could really get some use out of it.
    -Chris

Chris, the 80's have a much taller ceiling to allow for storage up there. When my cargo area is about 50% full I close the hatch and have to stuff through the rear window. The smaller opening would make ceiling storage a little difficult.

I saw that cargo fence when I was thinking I was going to take the entire family on the Mojave Road. The area around the seats isn't too big and the head rests hold back stuff. Stuff as in the lighter stuff I put on top of the heavier stuff. A metal fence is a bit over kill and I hate removing and messing with plastic interior pieces so I'm going to go another route.

I got some head scratching done today and a little work. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drill into the side plastic and mount from there. I'd like the shelf to be adjustable because I carry different things. If in the future I'm always at one setting I'll make legs that height and use the adjustable ones when I need them.

I'm still waiting on some parts and there are a lot of little items here and there that will take some time. Such as wiring for some under shelf LEDs, maybe a pull out work surface from the shelf, tie down loops and paint.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Chris, the 80's have a much taller ceiling to allow for storage up there. When my cargo area is about 50% full I close the hatch and have to stuff through the rear window. The smaller opening would make ceiling storage a little difficult.

I saw that cargo fence when I was thinking I was going to take the entire family on the Mojave Road. The area around the seats isn't too big and the head rests hold back stuff. Stuff as in the lighter stuff I put on top of the heavier stuff. A metal fence is a bit over kill and I hate removing and messing with plastic interior pieces so I'm going to go another route.

I got some head scratching done today and a little work. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drill into the side plastic and mount from there. I'd like the shelf to be adjustable because I carry different things. If in the future I'm always at one setting I'll make legs that height and use the adjustable ones when I need them.

I'm still waiting on some parts and there are a lot of little items here and there that will take some time. Such as wiring for some under shelf LEDs, maybe a pull out work surface from the shelf, tie down loops and paint.
    I like the led idea a lot but if you're going to be stuffing cargo in there the mount is going to have to be flush....or very durable.

On both sides of the vehicle the metal is about an inch past the plastic. I replaced my sides a time back because the others were pretty busted up. You could weld a bent piece of plate to the side and then angle it out. The only part that would be difficult is guessing where exactly the slit would be need to be made in the plastic. If I am not mistaken the metal is thick enough to weld. Sean would be a better judge though.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast