Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kryptos shelf project

Kryptos shelf project

I did this from my phone so forgive me.

This has been on the back burner for a long time but it is starting to take shape. It all started with the 1st gen rollbar and I thought it looked cool.

Then I noticed that it had threaded inserts after I acquired one and the wheels started turning.

Then I found this thread and while it wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was getting there.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...e-request.html

The uncut rack wouldn't fit so I waited to see whether the od clamp would make it wide enough. It didn't but it was really close so I dragged out the grinder and made it fit. I also need room for a vertical piece to fit the seat belt inserts.
    Here are the progress pics.

First concept attempt

Rollbar completed with the od clamp

And then the more current pics from the roof rack thread.

So the idea is to weld plate along the sides of the rack to provide a side rail, get rid of sharp edges, and give me a place to attach the supporting frame.

I would like the support to only come from the rollbar with no legs towards the back. I think I have all of the tiedowns I need but I might toss a small set on the rack.

Also doing the lights while I am back there. I found these on amazon and they seem like they would work quite well.

4pcs X 4th Generation High Power White LED Eagle Eye DRL Fog Light Daytime Running DRL Tail Backup Light Motorcycle Motorbike Light LED For Yamaha Honda Suzuki Kawasaki DUCATI BMW KTM BUELL APRILIA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJQZB9Y..._K.HAub1SGS5NP

Want to put 4 on the roof angled down (2 each side) and 2 in the door, and then 2 on the underside of the rack somehow.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I didn't know the 1st gen roll bars had to be cut to fit in the 3rd gens.

For your shelf I see e-track type pieces. Are the other side to side pieces a pre-fab thing? What about using the e-track stuff for the sides that way you can use them for tying down stuff?

Scroll down for straps and loops: http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=e-track

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I didn't know the 1st gen roll bars had to be cut to fit in the 3rd gens.

For your shelf I see e-track type pieces. Are the other side to side pieces a pre-fab thing? What about using the e-track stuff for the sides that way you can use them for tying down stuff?

Scroll down for straps and loops: http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=e-track
    They don't but I installed a od clamp so I could remove/install through the rear Cargo door versus through the rear passenger doors which is difficult.

Good eye on the e-track! Yes I have lots of that laying around. I suppose I could use it as the sides but I didn't want the sides to be too tall as it would interfere with getting straps tight. I only wanted to do a piece of 2" wide plate along the sides to tie the two racks together and leave the straps for front to rear strapping.

In fact now that we are talking about it I just need to just cut the front wall off completely and flip both the racks over so the e-track is on top. The front wall could be easily netting or I could just weld it back in place after I flip it.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

The final bit of progress till Black Friday....or when/if TSC has a sale on welders before then lol.

Quick picture of the scrap pile that I intend on using for little things if they occur to me as I build these projects.

The shelf as it sits now. I was able to get the ends pretty straight but a little touchup with the grinder in my welding prep will make it sit very nicely.

This is where I want to do the plate steel. What I have yet to figure out is the support for the entire rack but that will probably wait till the weekend when I can sit and think about it. A simple triangle would be great but I am not sure how much weight that would handle to be quite honest especially if you consider off-road travel.

Well that pretty much wraps it up. I looked at flipping the whole assembly over to put the e-track right side up but I think it will work better on the outside and underside of the shelf just from the standpoint that the anchor point does not interfere with the load at all. I will also likely put a small brace in the corners up front since it no longer has much support at all.

BTW mike I had a chance to look at the link just now for the e-track stuff now that I'm on the computer. They have some pretty trick stuff for e-track. I might save what I have spare now for the roof rack and put some on that!
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 11-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Hey good news! Hobart is on sale tomorrow at tractor supply. It's 70 bucks off which brings it down to $450 which is what most of them were going for on cl. I am slightly tempted to go with the 210 instead of the 140 because of the dual voltage in the 210 plus the capability of welding aluminum. It's also double the price and although I would love to say this next move would be my last....I know I would be lying to myself. Pretty sure the 140 is all I currently need for my projects.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Meh.....tractor supply sold out before I could get there. I did get rainchecked so I get the welder at the sale price and I got a little off on the helmet I wanted too since they were out of those as well. Since I wasn't working on the cargo shelf this afternoon I worked on seeing how complex/expensive my grill re-fab might be. So far it's looking fairly cheap. The goal is to have a grill that doesn't leak heat like a sieve. Here's a pic as is:

And here's what I've hatched up for replacement so far.

So first what I re-designed is the ash catcher. This thing is useless. I actually level out the ash inside so that all the heat doesn't leak out and my fire isn't blown out when trying to light it off. So in the re-design I made it 5" deep with the bottom out of 3/16" and the sides out of 1/8". A little bracing was added just in-case my welds are not the best in the beginning. I will try to re-use the handle from my current grill just to conserve funds. I will make one large improvement and put the ash catcher on a 100lbs ball bearing drawer slide. Amazon has them for 10 bucks so not a huge cost.

Next up was the fire-box as the sides leak, it flexes horribly, does not line up with the grill lid, leaks more smoke out the sides than what should be going through the top, and generally sucks. The front door is well made but why have a well made door out of cast-iron when the rest of it is less than 24ga metal? Anyway I made everything to the original size with the exception of where I am using gaskets. Yep bbq gaskets. 1/4" sealing material that will withstand 1000 degrees. For a 12' kit with adhesive it's a little over 30 bucks. Again the great thing about this grill is that I built it (thank God I am not responsible for designing it or QC) so everything is bolted/screwed together. All I have to do is cut the appropriate holes and I have a better built version of my grill.

I will work on the lid but I think using the same hinges might be a bit of a safety hazard as my lid would be lots heavier.

The sides are all made out of 1/8" and the bracing as well. The griddles will be re-used and I will re-use the coal elevator as well (one thing I love about my grill). I will see about beefing up the coal elevator as it seems a little worn with age.

When this grill was new I paid around 200 for it. My goal is to finish this with a quarter to half of what I paid in the beginning. Not sure how much the plate steel will be though...
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

After digging through Amazon multiple times basically trying to find something flush mounted that isn't so cheap that it isn't worth it and not getting ripped off on a product I came upon these. It's a package of 12 9w single mounted led bulbs in a flush mount housing. From what I could gather on the reviews out of over 100 there were 9 that complained about mounting these on their bikes. Bikes vibrate a lot and my guess is that there was an issue with their install. If I install 4 on a side I believe I will have some pretty good lighting that I don't have to worry about scrubbing off and I also don't have to worry about wiring on the shelf itself when I am removing or installing them. I believe I will also install 4 of them in the rear hatch as I have seen in many different builds and that should help immensely.

With these lights being only 9w apiece I am fairly certain that I can just wire them in line with the dome light and not burn anything out. I have 2 other 12v leads run to the back of the 4runner just in case but I was going to use them for other purposes.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Man I forgot that one. Here's the link. Universal 6pcs High Power White 3w LED Eagle Eye Bumper DRL Fog Light Motorcycle Light Daytime Running DRL Tail Backup Light Car Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FEZEVQK..._4CcFub1SCJKAG
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I might have to pick up a set or two of those! How flush do they actually mount?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast