Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kryptos shelf project

nice looking table! I have to mess with my settings too with flux. I find the chart gets me close but turning up the power a notch or two works better except with 1/4" for me for some reason. Those welds look great too. Overhead is still worthless for me. I do everything I can to avoid it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    nice looking table! I have to mess with my settings too with flux. I find the chart gets me close but turning up the power a notch or two works better except with 1/4" for me for some reason. Those welds look great too. Overhead is still worthless for me. I do everything I can to avoid it lol.
    Thanks! I just discovered something though and I thought about it for a while before I made my decision. There are a couple of upgrades I going to do before I even technically finish with the first version. I know it will take a bit but I also think it will be worth it. I was looking at a lot of welding tables and they use slats that are spread out and removeable for clamping purposes. Then I thought about how much I couldn't clamp on mine. I know I won't weld every day but if I'm going to fabricate stuff now and then I want to do the project on a well build table. Plus my tabletop had a 1/8" bow in it. If I make it into slats I willing to bet good money I can make that bow go away.

I have enough tabletop to pull it off and I even have enough scrap metal to make a storage shelf below with the drawers underneath.

This is an example of what I'm talking about.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I wouldn't cut it into slats, it will just weaken it. Those slats on that table are at least 3/8" and probably 1/2" thick. Keep your table and work to building a new one when you need it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I wouldn't cut it into slats, it will just weaken it. Those slats on that table are at least 3/8" and probably 1/2" thick. Keep your table and work to building a new one when you need it.
    That does make sense. I was only thinking about it from the angle that I could flatten the tabletop. I do believe it will work for the time being.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

FWIW I don't find it necessary to clamp stuff for welding. If needed I weld to the table top and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    They are 3/8" so they are thicker by a good bit. I didn't think the 1/4" would flex much though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    FWIW I don't find it necessary to clamp stuff for welding. If needed I weld to the table top and work from there.
    Just goes to show how little I know about welding. I hadn't even considered that I could just spot weld it to the table. That makes me feel better about keeping the table the way it is too.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

A very small update for this thread since the weather was not conducive to working on the roof rack.

I think they came out well for light output and while I took my time it was definitely one of the easier mods I've done......minus running wire from the cab to the tailgate through the factory run. That was like torture mixed with muscle cramps.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I've got a small amount of progress. Time to get this project done though. I will have to strip the interior out so this is getting done too.

A little bit more of a mockup
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I assume the shelf attaches to the roll bar? Glad to see it's back and getting worked on. Mine has gotten a lot of use since I finished it and I'm really enjoying it.

Yes it will. It just took a while for me to figure out how to mock everything up so I could measure out the brackets. I really wish I would have had mine when I went on that trip. Sometimes the stuff bouncing around in the back made me think it might come over the top and get Natalia. It was louder than it was high but still. Heavy stuff down below could be strapped in and the stuff up top would not be able to bounce over.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast