Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kryptos shelf project

Like I had written in my shelf post, all my heavy stuff goes on the bottom and is limited to an ice chest and Action Packer. A metric S-ton of stuff goes on top of that. The heavy stuff is on the bottom because it packs better that way. With the shelf there is no way one of the large heavy items will make it into the passenger area which is nice.

The shelf was for better organization and didn't necessarily change the way I packed the vehicle. Stuff would fall on the kids heads but it was pillows or sleeping pads. They basically held back sleeping bags and small duffle bags.

Because we do carry a lot of different things I wanted the ability to stuff more random things in. There could be a time when something a little harder would go up top of the pile and could make it's way forward.

I can't seem to find the picture but I added tie down points near the C pillar to add a net or screen to.

A couple of months ago I finally got around to rigging a net. It's not exactly what I was after but I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time trying to perfect anything especially since it wouldn't be used all the time. It uses 550 cord to hold a thick wall 1/2 pvc pipe across that the net is zip tied to. The bottom of the net clips into the cargo tie downs and on the metal pieces the rear seat click into. I use the netting that is against the back of the seats to hold the fishing poles, chairs and half of our sleeping pads. I can remove most everything and still have those held in tight where as before they could tumble down.

The rear head rests keep part of the net from stretching when the cargo area is loaded. The actual top of the seats and back of the kids seats hold stuff like a little shelf. On one of our trips I had it hold a sun shelter and the adult sleeping bags. I didn't get a picture loaded from the inside but it worked great and let me pack more even though I didn't really want to. Since that picture I perfected a method of tensioning the pvc so it's higher up but even at a lower spot nothing is slipping past it.

I need to update my shelf post with a few pictures.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-02-2015 at 01:26 PM.

I am looking at the possibility of a net but with the built in front wall to the shelf I am waiting to see whether I need it or not.

I am so busy with work these days that finding time/energy to get out in the sun is more difficult. Its beautiful at around 6-8 but the light is fading and I haven't talked the wife into a light set so I can work in humane weather lol. Its triple digits here now. Granted its still below 115 bit the sick meter is starting to rise out here.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Hey I found some time to square some stuff away for other projects making more time for this one. Made some major progress tonight.

Got the shelf pretty straight imo. This is what I was worried about.

One of the sides completely welded. Lots of short welds. Neighbors were lookin at me funny.

Got too dark for me to measure and make square. I gotta get me some lights...oh well its almost 9 pm anyway.

I also have decided to install some old equipment I had in boxes. Gotta do some painting on the amps to clean them up and it looks like some glasswork on the door panels to fit the 4" mids but it will be worth it. The stock speakers are eating it pretty hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 06-09-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Bah kind of a set back but I'm glad I noticed it now rather than later. The holes where the roll bar attaches are not in ideal locations. I was thinking about cutting and welding it up so the holes were on the inside but that is a ton of work for convienence. I doubt I will remove this shelf much honestly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Forgot to post the pics of the finished project in here. I love it however I do wish it was more removeable. It takes about 30 minutes to put in and remove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345