Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor Trend on the 3.4L TRD supercharger

Motor Trend on the 3.4L TRD supercharger

I found this Motor Trend article talking about the TRD supercharger for the 3.4L V6.

"The 4Runner's 3.4-liter/183-horsepower four-cam V-6 is a jewel to begin with, but what sport/ute couldn't use more power? TRD's Roots-type supercharger kit does the trick in that regard, as it claims to be good for an estimated 70-horsepower increase. Torque is also said to rise by about 50 pound-feet. Whatever the exact ratings, the proof is in the test numbers, with the 0-60-mph time dropping to a blazing 6.4 seconds. On the road, the enhanced acceleration does wonders for the 4Runner's personality. While some will value the horsepower strictly for showing off with Mustang GTs, it will also be a boon to those who tow a trailer or really use their 4Runner in off-road situations where extra torque is always handy."

---------------
    A 4WD Limited (automatic) does 0-60 in 9.2 seconds and from what I recall a 5-speed is a hair under 1 second quicker to 60, so let's say 8.3 seconds. The test truck was a manual, so dropping almost 2 seconds off the time to 60 seems like a lot...I wonder if that is an instrumented number. By comparison, a 2015 Mercedes G63 (twin turbo V8) costs $139,000 and does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz3JLhImkSS

My wife must have read that article.

Last edited by Seanz0rz; 11-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

NICE!!! Someone is gonna have some fun. Better hurry up and clear that garage out.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Oh SNAP

I'm going to have some competition on Comp Hill...

It's on like Donkey Kong!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    It's on like Donkey Kong!
    Next time you won't be last.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn67z-7Ufbg

Seriously though, you'll just love what it does for you driving over the mountain ranges. I will go so far as to say I have more fun with the supercharged 4Runner than I did my high-horsepower Supra. There was nothing fun that you could do legally in that car, whereas with the 4Runner in the dunes or in the desert, you'll plant your right foot and have a grin that won't go away for three days.

You guys should read the first post in this thread over on Expo:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-LC-vs-4Runner

He compares owning a Tacoma, supercharged 3rd gen, 80-series and 100-series Land Cruisers. I thought it was a good read.

I gotta say the 3.4 is lucky in this way that it is such an easy bolt on to add power.

There is lots of support for the 3rz with aftermarket however adding turbo has a lot involved. I am adding a piggyback tuner and doing my cams with a valve spring upgrade for torque and calling it good. Should net me enough to move the runner around with armor. She's no drag car.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I gotta say the 3.4 is lucky in this way that it is such an easy bolt on to add power.

There is lots of support for the 3rz with aftermarket however adding turbo has a lot involved. I am adding a piggyback tuner and doing my cams with a valve spring upgrade for torque and calling it good. Should net me enough to move the runner around with armor. She's no drag car.
    I am a huge fan of turbos on cars, but I really think the supercharger works much better in a truck application. The lack of separate oil and coolant lines and miles of intake/intercooler plumbing really keeps it simple too. I've read that when guys travel to Mexico where only 85 octane fuel is available, you can ziptie the supercharger wastegate open and it won't make boost; meaning any octane of fuel is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I am a huge fan of turbos on cars, but I really think the supercharger works much better in a truck application. The lack of separate oil and coolant lines and miles of intake/intercooler plumbing really keeps it simple too. I've read that when guys travel to Mexico where only 85 octane fuel is available, you can ziptie the supercharger wastegate open and it won't make boost; meaning any octane of fuel is fine.
    oh yeah. That's all extra junk that can go wrong. I have thought about a low boost application once or twice though. Teamed up with cams it would be a nice little setup and should be reliable....but all those lines would get expensive with braided jackets.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast