Thread: 3rz OBA project with York 210

3rz OBA project with York 210

Ok just as a warning this project is definitely not on the top of the list but I recently made a couple of breakthroughs that I am sure will prove invaluable to anyone else that is interested in this as well for the 3rz. There is literally 3 or 4 documented York installs and only 2 that I know of that keep the A/C and only 1 that I could realistically build and trust to work properly.

I can't remember my own thread that I jacked to reveal that I was even searching for a York but here are the reasons I prefer it over some of the other options. I found a york 210 in an old 81 f-250 and got it for 20 bucks during 50% off all parts at my favorite pick and pull down in Riverside.

I believe it needs a rebuild so toss another 30 bucks in for that and I have the most expensive part of the modification done.

1. Usability: With a high volume air compressor many different uses can be derived besides filling tires like running tools (kind of off in the future but I would prefer I do this once with all of the lines being run and such.

2. Speed: I experienced OBA via 12v when I rode with my buddy in his jeep. I believe it took around 30 minutes in the cold to fill his tires. Not a lot of fun

3. Reliability: From everything I have read and experienced with York OBA they are rock solid and as long as they are oiled will never need a rebuild when they are switched

4. HP vs. Electrical: Odds are I will be sitting still when I need air. I can sacrifice a few hp at idle to fill a tank vs putting a lot more load on the alternator.

5. It's at the bottom of the list but because I bloody can and it's pretty fun to make your own stuff imo.

I think that pretty much sums it up so on to the pics! There isn't much to show at this point but I want to take the time to thank Marlin Crawler himself (someday I will get myself another 1st gen 4runner project and make a rock toy but till I'm rich toys will have to wait) for providing the basis of my install. Of course it wasn't the primary way I was wanting to go but there were too many complications with the other way and it was above my fabrication ability to pull it off. If you have the time reading Marlin's build makes for a very interesting read.

What's required is upgrading my alternator to a GM 105 amp (which will help immensely when I add a winch....unless somehow I can squeeze a hydro winch in ??) and when I upgrade to a GM alternator I can use a dual pully with serpentine/v-belt option thereby avoiding the high cost of a new pulley and the inconvenience of removing my A/C. This is the easy part. I had looked at this mod anyway just for adding lights and gizmos all over the place (hopefully someday a fridge and/or trailer with a battery bank in the trailer) but here's the link.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=70641.0

dual pulley link:
    http://store.gaugemagazine.com/brows...bo-Pulley.HTML

The bracket will be mostly from scratch although the picture I found gives me enough hope that with my meager skills I can figure it out. The reference comes from Marlin's personal build on page 3. I borrowed a picture to make things easier. I do believe I will be able to use the bracket Sean donated towards the project to at least make a great mounting plate.

Here's my underhood shot. I will have to get better angles but there is a lot of room over in the general area that I had thought might work but had no idea how to get it mounted up right.

The battery will have to be rotated out of the way but I do believe this is the easiest setup to accomplish while keeping belt wrap issues from even becoming a consideration. I will say that I really wish I could just yank the engine as that would make this worlds easier imo....but this is still highly possible. What will end up happening is the Power steering bracket will be modified and welded to hold the york compressor. I figure with 3/16" or 1/4" plate it will be strong enough to take the tension of the belt and the vibration of the york while in operation.

In addition the location makes it an easy place to run air lines to the rear of the vehicle where I can place a tank either inside the cab or suspended below by the spare tire??? I haven't gotten that far in planning.

Stay tuned for updates (it will be a while)
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 11-21-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Any luck so far? I might have to replace my 3RZ soon and I'd like to get one of my two Yorks on it while it's out of the truck if possible.

I'm still in the parts collection phase really. I still need lines, a tank, and some other stuff. Working on a rear shelf, rear disc swap, and then this project was a little more than i thought it would be. Here's what I have found after a lot of digging.

The pic is from marlins build. It's hard to find someone with a 3rz and a York that has documented it.

So what I've thought up is utilizing a couple of mods to get this one done. Doc2012 over on t4r has a great writeup on replacing our puny alternators with a cs144. There's a 200 amp version as well if you could use it. The great thing about it is that the alternator has many choices for pulleys since it is heavily used by custom hot rodders and there is a way to get a double pulley in the exact configuration we need to run our belts and the York v belt.

After that it's just making the bracket and lining everything up right. Since it seems you're farther along than I post up some pics if you get it done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

When I did the York OBA on my Chevy truck I used a combo pulley from Kilby: http://www.kilbystore.com/products-a...cessories.html

It made things really easy and allowed me to have the York on it's own belt. This helped with alignment and setup a lot.

I forget which company made it but there is someone out there that sells a cut plate that matches to the 210. With that you can build off of it for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    When I did the York OBA on my Chevy truck I used a combo pulley from Kilby: http://www.kilbystore.com/products-a...cessories.html

It made things really easy and allowed me to have the York on it's own belt. This helped with alignment and setup a lot.

I forget which company made it but there is someone out there that sells a cut plate that matches to the 210. With that you can build off of it for your application.
    If I'm not mistaken the cs144 is a Chevy alternator. Exactly what I was talking about though 4x4mike. I couldn't remember where I had found it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf