Thread: I am lucky today!

I am lucky today!

One of the marines I work with needed to do his clutch and asked for my help. Never worked on one of these but it is truly one of the more beautiful cars ever. I don't know how he scored this for 3k......but man what a car. Interior is as clean as the outside.

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

They are still good looking cars, even 40 years after they made them. A good friend of mine has one with a Nissan RB25 (turbo Inline-6 out of a Nissan Skyline) in his.

Yeah while I was teaching this guy how to do his clutch (he's learning) he mentioned that he had an RB motor waiting back at home. Not sure if it was an RB25 but I was amazed at a couple of things.

1. The transmission did not take Goliath and a team of minions to wiggle off the engine assembly. I slid it off with one hand.
    2. How big the transmission tunnel was. I could clutch my fingers together at the top while it was all still bolted up.
    3. For as many things as they made complex it all made perfect common sense. It also had 4 wheel disc brakes !!! and fuel injection. Maybe I just never noticed but this little car was cutting edge for it's time.
    4. How much room there was everywhere. In the hood, underneath, and pretty much all over. I figured since it is such a small car that it would be impossibly tight in there but it really was quite spacious. I'm a 200lbs at 6' and I had more space than when I'm working with the w59 tranny in the 4runner.
    6. How good a condition this particular car is in. For being a 1980 it has surface rust....and that's it. Apparently the PO was pretty meticulous about how he took care of this car. There were some dings in the body frame from scraping over speed bumps and the lower bumper piece could use some tlc but other than that it is really cherry. So I asked him how much he paid for this beauty.....$3000. I'm starting to wonder if there's a warrant out for his arrest. That's quite the steal imo.

On the other hand the rear main was leaking and there were some other issues that I saw and solved while I was showing him how everything drops out and what to look for. Tomorrow we should wrap it up and he will be very good to go with this car. I think I want to take it for a spin since I've never driven one before.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

My friend (my accomplice in trying to turn my 4Runner into a front load washing machine) has an 87 and a 93 300zx. Each has it's charms and short comings, but both are amazing machines. The quality in each is amazing. The 87 he scored for I think $500. It was a POS when he got it, but some TLC and junkyard runs made it amazing.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    My friend (my accomplice in trying to turn my 4Runner into a front load washing machine) has an 87 and a 93 300zx. Each has it's charms and short comings, but both are amazing machines. The quality in each is amazing. The 87 he scored for I think $500. It was a POS when he got it, but some TLC and junkyard runs made it amazing.
    I always loved the 300zx's of all years. The early 90s twin turbos Z's have such great lines they will always look good; whereas the Supra from the same generation had that ridiculous spoiler on the back. But alas, the Supras used inline-6s that were so much simpler to work on than the Z's V6s.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I always loved the 300zx's of all years. The early 90s twin turbos Z's have such great lines they will always look good; whereas the Supra from the same generation had that ridiculous spoiler on the back. But alas, the Supras used inline-6s that were so much simpler to work on than the Z's V6s.
    I agree. We got it pieced back together but it isn't running yet. We wired the darn starter backwards in the dark and his reverse light switch broke at the contacts. Both easy fixes but there were many surprises along the way including broken exhaust bolts (even with pb blaster) oil pan leaks, rear main leak (along with a crazy sub assembly to get it out!), the need of a bearing press for the fork assembly, and other old car surprises.

For what it's worth though I had a good time fixing it and I know the owner learned a lot about his ride.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf