Thread: 97 4runner surges and shutters

97 4runner surges and shutters

on the freeway at about 55-60 any thing over half throttle it surges like it cant figure out what gear to be in and from a dead stop it has a bad shutter, the tran fluid was about half quart low so i topped it off and it is a little better, from what i have seen online it cold be plugs and wires, throttle position sensor need adjusting, and it needs a fluid and flush thanks james and it is a 3.4 4 spd auto
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

It's worth changing out the plugs and wires. They probably need to be replaced anyway and are pretty cheap.

I'm guessing no check engine light, since you didn't mention it. I'd check the fluids again, replace as necessary. Clean the MAF while you're there too.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

it final threw a code po306 miss fire in #6 so i am going to do a full tune up and see what happens maybe some new wipers to poor 4runner

Let us know how the plugs look, but I'd venture a guess its the 3-6 plug wire. It's probably not arcing against the valve covers or intake, but just not getting enough spark (or any) to cyl 6.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 11-25-2014 at 07:53 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I agree with Sean on this, give it a tune up, clean out the throttle body and see how she performs.

all fixed new plugs and wire runs great now, the plugs were shot for sure prob the origanal ones

Awesome! Glad that helped!