Thread: Baofeng Programming cables

Baofeng Programming cables

I know some of you guys are running Baofeng HT radios and I had a question about programming cables. I've got a new radio I'm running through the ringer and it seems I need to hook it up to the computer to open it up. This is one down side to these radios were as ones from the bigger name companies don't require PC programming.

What cables are you guys using? I know certain models require certain cables but are you getting the genuine Baofeng cables or the generic versions? Anything to say yay or nay?

I've noticed here http://astore.amazon.com/v87cab-20 that there is a "preferred cable" and it happens to be the most expensive. It also mentions that it runs with the most recent driver. The drivers bring me to my other question. In regards to CHIRP, do you guys have any experience with versions that are better than others?

My Motorola radio also requires PC programming and one thing I recently learned is that it's wise to program it with the oldest version of the software you can find. This usually means a computer with a serial port and an old Windows operating system. I've got a few old laptops in my take to the shooting range box that I can pull out but was wondering if CHIRP is similar. If you program a Motorola Jedi radio with a Windows 7 computer, for instance, you can never reprogram with anything older.

The radios I need to open up are the UV82 and UV82C. Actually the UV82C needs a computer just to put it in VFO mode (Part of it being Part 90 compliant).

To my knowledge, all the cables "work". The difference is in the FTDI chip, whether it is legit or a copy. Drivers are difficult to load for the cheaper cables.

I will post what cable I bought when I get home.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Cool. I don't know anything about FTDI chips. I assume thats in the cable and not the radio? All I had time for was a quick youtube video over the weekend and the guy was going on about drivers and finding the newest version of the software which is opposite of my Motorola experiences.

If I need a legit cable I'll get one but if I can get by with the $5 version I'll do it. I'm not looking to do anything fancy. For the 82C all I need to do is uncheck a box. I like hand programming, I've never needed too many frequencies, but I also like alpha tags which you can't do on the radio.

If you want, I can mail you mine and just ship it back when you are done. Still not home, but here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008RZ..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I don't think its an ftdi chip. I think its a prolific chip set. My yaesu uses an ftdi
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 12-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

No rush on anything Sean. Thanks for the link. Ken said he'd bring his to me one day. After reading reviews it looks like I need to find the software and correct drivers before I'd ever need a cable, duh.

I also need to go through my band plans and make my lists. So far I've been impressed with the 82 model as far as features, audio and reception. I put up a new antenna at the house, in the attic actually and after I give it a go on that I'll probably squeeze out a review.