Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford Everest

The Corolla looks boring and awkward, as does the Rav4. The Highlander looks meh; just another crossover. The Yaris is OLD, the Camry is trying too hard and not hard enough. The Sequoia is bloated roadkill, same with the Tundra. The 2014 4Runner face has grown on me, but the whole vehicle is too "ruggedized cell phone" for me.

I should add we will be in the market in 6-12 months for a compact-midsize car, something in the Corolla/Camry range, but are considering neither because neither are worth considering. I'm looking at the Focus. Lexi likes the Optima.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 12-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I don't think so. I love the styling direction that Kia has gone with the Optima, Nissan's fleet looks great, even the new Accord and to a lesser degree the Civic look amazing. All of the Fords look great now, and I even like the new Mustang. The Chevy sedans are even starting to look nice. Toyota just manages to push out some of the ugliest cars.
    Kia isn't too far behind (looking at the current line up the forte variants look a lot like the new corolla and Kia is starting to do that 'lets make all models look exactly the same' thing) so you better grab one quick, just a heads up though when you go to look at one on the lot pull that oil cap and look into the valve body, the GDi and T-GDi motors like to sludge up very easily.....

Nissan seems blah to me, but I drive about 10 of them a day and again they are just very blah, even the infinity versions, buttons are in the most impractical places I feel, and for the market while they don't have many bells and whistles like the rest of the brands out there, I feel the ones they do have were still an after thought at that, again just my opinion, but I feel I would get bored with the car way to quickly compared to others.

I agree on the accord but not so much to civic, having just driven many variations of those, along with the CR-Z I feel its time for a change on there part, I miss the mid-00 civics but again that is just me.

Fords been hitting the nail on the head, especially taking design cues from Aston martin, I would look to purchase a new ford as well, fun to drive, great features (minus the touch screen interface Ken mentioned that on a few occasions I have wanted to throw my phone through the screen) they are nice, I love the new F150 and the Super Duties, and the 5.0 mustang is awesome to drive, but better get it in a manual, just had a 12 in that will most likely be getting a brand new transmission, the original has already been rebuilt once, from what I have read apparently Ford will only warranty rebuild it once and then after that you are SOL....

GM in general I think has been doing a fine job design wise, especially the new Impala, Sierra 1500, and a few of the Buicks, but I just can't get over there build quality, its just so horrible, and the EcoTech and Turbo version are just horribly under powered, I feel the 4Runner can still throw me into the back of the seat loaded down with a trailer compared to those engines....

I drove by the local Toyota Dealership by work that had the brand new 2014 TRDPro sitting out on the front lot and I about ran my Camry into the show room, "just take the keys and give me the ones to that 4Runner!"

I am really looking at the Fusion and Focus hatch. I wish the Fusion came in a wagon, I'd buy a green one in a heartbeat.

Bottom line is, while I don't think you can buy a bad car in these segments (Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart and the Chevys might prove me wrong), there is nothing that really stands out as exceptional, especially in the mid level trims.

The Kia Forte has always been lagging behind the competition a bit, I think the Elantra is probably the better buy, although my wife liked the Koup she drove to Nebraska.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Eh I won't be in the market for a brand new vehicle for quite some time. I feel buying used is the way to go honestly. The only way I would go brand new would be a lease on an EV. The battery tech is still developing. I do like the Ford Fusion but I don't jive with most of the designs out there. I was actually looking at an 01 or 02 Camry and seriously considering picking one up. It was one of the best cars I ever owned.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I totally agree with the buy used strategy. I have a 97 and a 98, I am pretty sick of fixing a car every weekend. I would like something that isn't someone else's problem, has a warranty, and is nice. I will keep a car for 200k or more, so dealing with depreciation doesn't really concern me.

Ive finally hit the point where Im going to buy a newer used truck myself. I decided on the Silverado or the older Tundra or if i can find an F150 in good shape (dislike the 5.4L and its issues and I HATE the interior..its ugly). I find the Gm trucks at least are actually built quite well, we have an 11, 12, 13 at work and no issues with any of them except the slide pins on the calipers on the 11 (its does have 150k on it). If I can find a clean Tundra Ill be happy, most have had the frame replaced by now and seem ok. Im just picky since i wanted the 5 speed trans and vvti of the 05-06 but want a bench seat (which apparently wasnt a popular choice those years) and x-cab (also harder to find).
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I had to laugh at Sean's comment about missing some of the cars from the 90s because some of my favorite cars are from that era. The Acuras in the picture I posted previously are all 1986 model year--nearly 30 years old and they still look good (IMHO). I can't look at a 5th gen or a new Toyota without a feeling of disgust.

I don't hate all of the new cars, even Hyundai and Kia are making some cars that look and drive nice. But I would be scared to own a direct injection car, I hate the driving dynamics of CVTs with a passion, and even the best automatic transmissions just don't do it for me, except for maybe a car used solely for commuting. (Even then I'd want at least one manual trans in the stable.)

I've been a huge motorhead since I was a little kid, but I think I am realizing that my interest in NEW internal combustion cars is waning...I love the way the EVs drive, and I absolutely love the lack of maintenance. And there are plenty of internal combustion cars from the past I'd love to own (mostly Inline 6 BMWs, V12 Aston Martins and other cars I wouldn't spend my money on), but the fact that I am no longer reading Road & Track and Autoweek and now spend more time on InsideEVs.com is probably pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I had to laugh at Sean's comment about missing some of the cars from the 90s because some of my favorite cars are from that era. The Acuras in the picture I posted previously are all 1986 model year--nearly 30 years old and they still look good (IMHO). I can't look at a 5th gen or a new Toyota without a feeling of disgust.

I don't hate all of the new cars, even Hyundai and Kia are making some cars that look and drive nice. But I would be scared to own a direct injection car, I hate the driving dynamics of CVTs with a passion, and even the best automatic transmissions just don't do it for me, except for maybe a car used solely for commuting. (Even then I'd want at least one manual trans in the stable.)

I've been a huge motorhead since I was a little kid, but I think I am realizing that my interest in NEW internal combustion cars is waning...I love the way the EVs drive, and I absolutely love the lack of maintenance. And there are plenty of internal combustion cars from the past I'd love to own (mostly Inline 6 BMWs, V12 Aston Martins and other cars I wouldn't spend my money on), but the fact that I am no longer reading Road & Track and Autoweek and now spend more time on InsideEVs.com is probably pretty telling.
    I will have to agree with you and Sean on my favorite cars being from the 80's and 90's. There are a few recently that caught my attention like the FR-S and the FT-1. Those cars are strongly related to cars from the 90's though too.

Anyway I think some of this has faded over to racing as well. F1 racing has gone to so many computers that they pretty much turn the steering wheel anymore. I remember when they had to shift between their legs and abs was "too heavy" lol. Those guys rocketed along with no power assisted steering, no abs, no traction control, and no fear. In the 80's f1 rocked 1200 and 1300 b hp engines! That is set of balls to hop in those suckers.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123