Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Everest

Ford Everest

I sure don't like the direction Toyota is headed with their trucks and SUVs, but I sure like the direction Ford is headed.

"It has a solid rear axle, locking transfer case with a low range, Terrain Management System has settings for street, sand, and snow, as well as throttle responses paired to torque vectoring and of course hill control and even an electric locking rear diff. Fitted with the same 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbo-assisted four-cylinder used in the Ford Fusion, it will also be made available with a 3.2-liter five-cylinder turbo diesel. The diesel will be offered with a real six-speed manual transmission or the current six-speed automatic transmission used in the F-150 truck. At roughly the size of the Explorer, it is a good size for proper off-road pursuits. It even appears to have good approach and departure angles."

First of all, it's not hideously ugly, and in fact, I think it looks both rugged and refined. Solid rear axle, locking diff, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, lots of good things in there. Of course Ford may not import it, but I think it's the only modern SUV that offers any appeal to me whatsoever over what I currently have.

It kills me that an "American company" like Ford will make this for the rest of the world, but not us. And I get why, because American consumers want other things. (Like gaping shark-mouth front ends, apparently.) I'm not your typical consumer.

The profile looks a lot like the sequoia only I'm sure it is a little smaller. Not bad specs either but while it's tempting the quality in my 3rd gen is much better than current standards imo.

It is an attractive vehicle though. Maybe toyota could take a few notes from our forums lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

It's a nice vehicle, and I like the current styling trend for just about any of the Ford products. Most of the Lincolns look really good too. Ford sells the Everest in the Philippines, and some of my sister's friends over there have an older model. The new Everest looks to have some impressive specs. I really like the international Ranger as well.

I don't know the numbers, but in my opinion, Toyota is losing ground in just about every segment. The medium truck segment is about the only thing they've got, but I think the Canyon/Colorado is going to eat into that. The new Tacoma is supposed to debut in January, so hopefully Toyota can come up with something good. After the facelift on the 5th gen, my hopes are low.

The Scion FR-S; Lexus LS, GS, ES, and LFA; and the Toyota Land Cruiser, Tacoma, and Avalon are about the only Toyota vehicles that I think actually look good. I would still buy some of the other models, but only because they are Toyota. The new Camry is better than the last, but it still looks cheap/bland from the side.

If Toyota would just offer us what they sell in other markets, we would be set.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 12-11-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dan, I couldn't agree more. Ten years ago nothing compared to Toyota's quality. In the past four years Toyota has tried so hard to pass GM and take the claim as the largest automotive company, and in doing-so they became more GM-like and less Toyota-like. In the meantime, Ford stepped up their game big time. When we bought our last car in late 2012, we thought the Ford Fusion was ever bit as high quality as the Acura TSX we bought. Two things ultimately sold us on the TSX--we were able to get it in a wagon and we much preferred the Acura's button-laden dash to Ford's completely touch-screen interface. (Having to cycle through menus to switch from radio to climate control is just stupid.) Had it not been for those two things, we would have our first Ford in the driveway. If I were buying a 1/2 ton truck today, it would be the F150.

I was thinking about what it would take to get me out of my current 4Runner, and it's a list that guarantees I'll be driving this for a long time. My wish list would be for basically a modern 3rd gen--similar size, similar exterior appearance, more modern interior. Same or only very slightly less offroad capability. Extended Range Electric Vehicle (ER-EV) drivetrain that is somewhat similar to how the Chevy Volt works. (The new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV will have this.) 30 miles of all-electric range so you can get to work without burning gas but a gasoline engine to get you the range. A "trail mode" button that mimics the Volt's "charge sustain mode" button where you push it before you get to the trailhead, the range extender fires up and ensures your battery is completely full before you reach the trailhead. Now you can do the next 30 miles of your favorite offroad trail in complete silence in all electric mode, with all the instant torque goodness an EV offers. That big battery also means you can run your ARB refrigerator and LED area lights for days on end on the high capacity lithium battery. I would sell the Leaf and the 4Runner for something like that, as it would do the job of both.

Porsche just came out with the Cayenne S E-hybrid SUV that checks many of the boxes I mentioned above. It has a 10.8 kWh lithium-ion battery which enables pure electric driving up to a top speed of 78 MPH. It has a 95 hp electric motor and a 3.0 liter supercharged V6 (333 hp), a total power of 416 hp at 5,500 rpm and a total torque of 435 lb.-ft. from 1,250 to 4,000 rpm. 0-62 mph in 5.4 seconds and a top speed of 151 mph. All-electric range is 24 miles, which is enough to get me to my charging station at work without burning gas.

Problem...offroad capability isn't there and it costs $76k. What I want is Toyota to put a similar drivetrain in a 4Runner chassis that maintains the offroad capability of models past. Make that drivetrain optional like Porsche did, so you nay-sayers aren't forced into it. Oh, and don't make it ugly Toyota.

ken,

you and me both with the large, gaping shark mouth front ends. i wanna take a crap on that designer's desk. I think the Dodge Ram popularized the big front end look on full size trucks. Inexplicably, Audi did so too. I would've bought an A3 station wagon had it not come with the big mouth grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    ken,

you and me both with the large, gaping shark mouth front ends. i wanna take a crap on that designer's desk.
    Just do it Bob. Do it for all of us! :-)

I dislike almost everything that has come out, dodge created that stupid bulky look and it seems everyone else followed.

I also think toyota quality has REALLY taken a dive. FRAMES ARE ROTTING ON 05+ tacos FFS! They didnt learn from the damn 95.5-04???
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post

I also think toyota quality has REALLY taken a dive. FRAMES ARE ROTTING ON 05+ tacos FFS! They didnt learn from the damn 95.5-04???
    Bummer. I have noticed that the used 05+ Tacomas on the lot around the corner from my house are priced only $2-3k above the previous generation. A guy I met that buys and sells Tacomas say the 1st gens go for so much because there is literally nothing comparable, except for possibly the Nissan Frontier. The Ranger and S10/Sonoma/Colorado just don't compare.

I can't say I am surprised about the frame problem. I have always thought Dana was a crappy company. Toyota is so much better at building frames and axles.

That thing is sweet!
    The specs are good except for one part, if that thing is roughly the size of the explorer, yikes!
    I just did a inspection on one today, its like driving a boat its so wide, I feel like I'm drowning in the interior!

I am in agreement though, Ford has come a good ways, if I was going to buy a new truck myself it would be either an F150 or the new F250 with that oh so glorious 6.7l diesel.

Hopefully with time the wide mouth bass or shark mouth theme will go away, I drove a new Avalon the other day and could really see myself in it, the ride was beautiful, but I just can not stand the front end of the car.

When it comes to reliability with today's vehicles its really anyone's game in my mind from working one everything everyday, except for one, that being chevy, they not only dropped the ball but buried it 6 feet under and covered it in concrete, I just don't understand how a brand new 4k mile car can have a rod knock, or a 2014 engine has sludge like it was 20 years old!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast