Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free CAD program

Yeah, I like Autocad. If you are taking classes and have a .edu email, it's easy to verify the license.

I've never used Solidworks, but I've watched people use Solidworks, and it seems that Solidworks is a bit easier for 3D stuff. Then again, the people I watched were really good at it, so maybe they just made it look easier than it was.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 12-14-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Yeah, I like Autocad. If you are taking classes and have a .edu email, it's easy to verify the license.

I've never used Solidworks, but I've watched people use Solidworks, and it seems that Solidworks is a bit easier for 3D stuff. Then again, the people I watched were really good at it, so maybe they just made it look easier than it was.
    A couple of years ago AutoCad had the same deal as Solidworks going for their design suite but they discontinued it for some reason. Their stipulation on it was that you had to be leaving the military within 12 months. I took advantage of it but then I ended up deciding to extend to see if I could get promoted and so I never installed it.

I will definitely be updating with my review on SolidWorks since they approved me for the veteran program. At the very minimum I am improving my skills with CAD even if I am not thrilled with the program. The only negative (if you could call it that) is they have to ship the program to me. Then again if I charged 5k a pop for a program then I would probably want to not use a download as well.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I am still digging trying to find a reasonable cost effective cad design program that would allow use of laser cutting and the like. Not everyone is a veteran and I won't always be in the military either.

I have found 2 possible solutions that seem promising. One is very promising but I have a feeling it would be on the upper end of what I would call feasible for a hobby budget.

1. 3DS Draftsight. It's free for 30 days and then you can pay as little as 100 bucks for a personal copy

link: http://www.3ds.com/products-services...free-download/

This is the same company that makes SolidWorks. I have read really good things about this program but haven't seen or heard of anyone using it in Toyota circles....or at least the ones I frequent. I have also read that it is very similar to pre 2011 AutoCad LT which sounds like a good thing. I think the last one I used was 2000....sheesh.

2. Alibre/Geomagic Design X. Not sure of the cost but they also offer a 30 day trial with an unknown price attached to the other end. At least DraftSight was straightforward enough to give a price. After searching the price range starts at $200 which may or may not be too much for a hobby (for me it's too much but it all comes down to how much you like and/or use it).

link: http://software.3dsystems.com/geodesign/

I've also read good things about this program and what sounds awesome is an entire engine dedicated to sheet metal design which would help some of us out if we want to design brackets or something bent.

I will be comparing these to what I have the most experience (which isn't much) with and that is Sketchup. If Sketchup wasn't half a grand I would recommend it wholeheartedly and not even bother with comparisons but it is what it is.

Again what I am after is at least a 2d program where you can set up for a laser cutter and optimally a 3d program where I can create pieces and then the program breaks the model down to a layout for laser cutting all while not breaking the bank.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 12-15-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-123d/ have you looked into that one?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-123d/ have you looked into that one?
    I actually tried it last night. Great little program but it's made for 3d printing. I attempted to make something bigger but that's where the limitations were. It was fairly easy to use and if I needed something 3d printed (like a switch face or perhaps a ham radio surround for a din opening) that would be a fantastic solution.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So right now I'm messing around with Draftsight and it does everything for free. The interface takes some getting used to coming from Sketchup where most everything is done with the mouse but it is functional. I have been able to do everything (for the most part) that I am able to do in Sketchup and from the need for operating with .DWG and .DXF files to send off to a cutter this will do quite nicely. In fact I slid smoothly enough into operating in this program that I'm not going to bother with the other which you had to sign up and give your firstborn to receive a 30 day trial.

The best part about Draftsight is that while there are some nifty features locked for premium use the rest of the modeling is free for good. I am going to review a little more and see if I can work up a 3d model from scratch for a front bumper idea I had. It won't be nearly complete or to scale but the primary focus is so I can get all of the angle cuts perfect to make the bumper. For tonight though my brain is kind of tired. I started testing for the Microsoft certs and I had to remember a lot of stuff.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

draftsight is probably the top free one out there that can do 2D dxf/dwg files. like you said, it is made by Dassault (who makes solidworks and CATIA) and is their answer to Autodesk's autoCAD. most of the commands are identical to autoCAD. Dassault offers it for free because they make the big bucks in the 3D world and they can. i have used autocad for 3d before and it was miserable. I assume draftsight is just as bad at 3D (if its even possible).

I have used most 3D products out there and they all have their pros and cons, but none of them are cheap nor are they geared toward a home user/hobbyist. that's really why sketchup is so popular among woodworkers and similar hobbyists.

EDIT: just re-read through the whole thread. so you did purchase solidworks with your discount? if so, i would just start learning it. it will do 3d models of sheet metal and allow you to create flat patterns/drawings for export. it has a semi-steep learning curve if you have never done 3d modeling before, but solidworks is pretty popular so there are a lot of tutorials and youtube videos out there. even the included tutorials are decent.
    Last edited by garrett; 12-16-2014 at 07:14 AM.

I did do the solidworks deal. It's honestly too good to pass up.

3d is possible with DS however the interface is a little clunky imo. Also when I loaded one of my designs from sketchup my computer felt like it was going to explode (2.5ghz Intel quad, Asus p45, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd, ATI 4870 1gb). It's a little old but man oh man was it slow. I know the weak point is the type of video card but anyway DS is great for 2d. 3d is not so hot but it is possible to draw out.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok just to update I am now completely convinced that sketchup is the easiest.....however it is not the most powerful or professional.

Solidworks is a lot like draft sight only a lot more polished feel and definitely better interface. However if you think solidworks is a walk in the park to learn....think again. I will be honest to say that I haven't gotten a solid amount of time behind me but I am going through the tutorials and that is new for me. I usually just load a program and learn very quickly. Solidworks is a lot to wrap your brain around. Still I am very pleased with both the free offering and solidworks. They teach you how a real CAD program works and the features they should have vs. training wheels and getting babied with google/trimble.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Solidworks for me was pretty easy, but I did have a couple of classes that used it heavily. They weren't Solidworks classes specifically, but that was the focus, along with basic drafting principles. To me, Solidworks makes a bunch more sense than autocad, which I tried unsuccessfully to learn. You draw a 2d shape, extrude it to a block, or make it a thin profile for tube. It is actually pretty easy with just the basics like creating planes, and the 3d sketch is important too, especially for tube bending.

The one we use at work was much easier than Solidworks to learn. But it has its own serious limitations. It is not parametric, so if you wish to change the size of the feature, it is not like Solidworks where you click on the feature in the tree, edit the size, and it works. You must add or remove material with other tools. The sheet metal tools in KC also suck, which is bad for us since that is 90% of what we do. I think it would be great for casting, molding, machining, etc.

I am actually looking for a good 2d program to do wiring diagrams. Eagle is a bit complicated just for basic diagrams. I do want something with layers so I can put each layout on a layer then combine them all to have a master diagram.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast