Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free CAD program

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Solidworks for me was pretty easy, but I did have a couple of classes that used it heavily. They weren't Solidworks classes specifically, but that was the focus, along with basic drafting principles. To me, Solidworks makes a bunch more sense than autocad, which I tried unsuccessfully to learn. You draw a 2d shape, extrude it to a block, or make it a thin profile for tube. It is actually pretty easy with just the basics like creating planes, and the 3d sketch is important too, especially for tube bending.

The one we use at work was much easier than Solidworks to learn. But it has its own serious limitations. It is not parametric, so if you wish to change the size of the feature, it is not like Solidworks where you click on the feature in the tree, edit the size, and it works. You must add or remove material with other tools. The sheet metal tools in KC also suck, which is bad for us since that is 90% of what we do. I think it would be great for casting, molding, machining, etc.

I am actually looking for a good 2d program to do wiring diagrams. Eagle is a bit complicated just for basic diagrams. I do want something with layers so I can put each layout on a layer then combine them all to have a master diagram.
    After attending the University of YouTube I found out what I was doing wrong. I was working with an under-defined 2d sketch (meaning I didn't read any instructions) and trying to extrude to 3d. I was getting errors that didn't make sense to me about my unfinished 2d sketch. It's hard to mess this program up once you get into it. I am still learning though.

As an afterthought I imagine this was my problem with going 3d with DraftSight as well. If all else fails watch YouTube. Old dogs can learn new tricks.

SolidWorks is very superior to Sketchup with regards to power in 3d modeling due to it's demands that you have a specific point in space that you must place everything and it has to relate to something else in the model. In Sketchup getting everything to relate is a learn as you practice skill and sometimes can be very difficult to place something in a specific locale. Since I do not have the mounting locations for the front bumper (and the front bumper is still light years away from getting funded) I am going to attempt to re-draw the idea for my BBQ grill and possibly add some animation to it. I think drawing it again in 3d will be hard enough let alone adding an animated piece but I've got a great program so I might as well learn it.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Happy New Years! Yes I was staying up for New Years by finishing the comparison. Don't judge me. It's a helluva lot better than waking up with a 2 day hangover.

Conclusion:

I no longer completely fail at SolidWorks but I am a long long ways from designing armor within it in a 3d manner at least. I will keep plugging away at it but I have learned a LOT about different kinds of programs for CAD and that you can tailor programs for different audiences.

SolidWorks:

Pros:

What a powerhouse! Animations, Rotating assemblies, Shell tools, amazing amount of power for creating 3d parts to interact with each other in an animated environment (meaning simulated reality, not video graphic...although you might be able to use solidworks for that....don't have an answer there).

Cons:

I find it complex to do tasks that I find simple in my mind however when creating complex assemblies SolidWorks is on your side. It's a double-edged sword. I find it slower to build an idea with personally. We mustn't forget the learning curve associated with this program too.

Sketchup:

Pros:

Really easy to learn and if you need assistance putting ideas to paper and communicating them over the web with something that looks better than Microsoft Paint. Simple 2d and 3d process since they do not separate the two. Plus the 3d model warehouse has come in handy more times than not.

Cons:

Infuriating 3d process at times that will only come with discovering it for yourself. For the most part though it behaves. For what CAD is supposed to be Sketchup is notoriously weak as far as tools go. It's a hopped up version of Microsoft Paint for Office types that don't design crap with tolerances. I didn't realize the last point until I started messing with SolidWorks.

It might be easier to show you.

It took me approximately 4 hours of solid work to make this in Sketchup which I am fairly certain someone couldn't do with SolidWorks. So that's nice. For what it's worth (not trying to pump myself up) it's a fairly decent looking 3d model of a trailer frame and suspension setup. This is the limit of what Sketchup can do right here.

SolidWorks (with someone that knows what they are doing....cough....Sean) could take this model and test the frame for weak points, add weldments, animate the suspension to check for binding, see how much the frame weighs given a definition of material, and all while doing your dishes.

That's the difference. Sketchup is for ideas becoming a model and SolidWorks is for a model to become reality.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I know solidworks just enough to get myself in trouble! And since I've been using the program at work, I know even less.

For Solidworks, I prefer to design as I would make it. For example, on the trailer frame, I would design each piece of tube as an individual part and then make an assembly out of it. I also raid McMaster.com for models of purchased parts and avoid the built in parts catalog. This way I am getting exactly what I would order, instead of what someone else thought it should look like.

I use the mass feature in Solidworks a lot to figure out weight. Right now I am working on a new cargo/sleeping platform, and want it to weight close to my plywood version. I can also get deflections for a given load and it will highlight the stress concentrations at critical points. Now, I am not able to manufacture to tight tolerances, so there is also a hefty safety factor in everything I do. I'll take 10-20% more weight to avoid a failure because I designed right to the limit.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-01-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I know solidworks just enough to get myself in trouble! And since I've been using the program at work, I know even less.

For Solidworks, I prefer to design as I would make it. For example, on the trailer frame, I would design each piece of tube as an individual part and then make an assembly out of it. I also raid McMaster.com for models of purchased parts and avoid the built in parts catalog. This way I am getting exactly what I would order, instead of what someone else thought it should look like.

I use the mass feature in Solidworks a lot to figure out weight. Right now I am working on a new cargo/sleeping platform, and want it to weight close to my plywood version. I can also get deflections for a given load and it will highlight the stress concentrations at critical points. Now, I am not able to manufacture to tight tolerances, so there is also a hefty safety factor in everything I do. I'll take 10-20% more weight to avoid a failure because I designed right to the limit.
    That's my biggest point though rolled up in it. Solidworks I think is slower to build a model in.....because it wants and can handle all the details.

You use mcmaster like I use khmetals.com actually. I took a quick peek at the link. I might be using that for reference in the future though. Thank you! With solidworks I need all the help I can get.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

many of their parts have cad file you can download in a number of different formats, solidworks 2007 being one of them. So if you need to design around say a weld nut or a certain bolt, you can download it. At work we do this so it becomes easier to build a bill of materials from our 3d model and to check clearances, etc.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

many of their parts have cad file you can download in a number of different formats, solidworks 2007 being one of them. So if you need to design around say a weld nut or a certain bolt, you can download it. At work we do this so it becomes easier to build a bill of materials from our 3d model and to check clearances, etc.
    Now that makes a heap of sense lol!

That would really help something like that trailer design. Doesn't do much for making stuff like plate/tube bumpers though.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Yeah I just started discovering this. I am very used to just making all of my parts. Thinking about searching for an online class or something as solidworks is awesome....but my methodology is obviously not the solidworks way.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I use Youtube to figure out something I don't know. Once you have the basics down it's just up to you to figure out how to draw it.

For example, that trailer frame, I would do a 3d sketch and then extrude a thin profile along that sketch. I think this video shows how to do that: http://youtu.be/DpHTPDjRyoU

I have a book ( I think its for 2011) if you want to borrow it. Actually, I think I have two! Let me know if you want it. Some of the buttons and steps might be slightly different, but it will help.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-02-2015 at 04:58 PM.

I'm attempting to make the frame using weldments and then welding it together so I can analyze the stress. I think I just tried to make too much of the frame under the same sketch so I'm breaking it down to the tongue assembly, lower frame, etc

If I am still stumped I think I might wander out of the desert here next month and get that book from ya. It's slowly coming along although I wish it would just click.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Also doing a bunch of custom weldment profiles to make some of my projects easier to input......fml
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast