Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2016 Tacoma Teaser Pictures

I am awaiting the Konnesseggegegseg... pneumatically actuated valves. Make the valve timing completely independent of crank position and allow for infinitely variable valve timing.

But I tend to agree. Diminishing returns. It used to be "toss some FI on there and it's better", so a few hundred dollar addition created much more power, much more efficiency, and much lower emissions. Now we are tossing a few thousands of dollars at engines and getting a little bit more power, a little bit more efficiency, and a little better emissions.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Government regulations mostly, but probably also consumer demand. Personally, I don't mind it. I'll take better mileage.
    Likely right. Maybe it will have as much power as the 4.0. Who knows.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I would love to see a developed idea using electric motors in a truck. They are incredibly torqy but the problem remains how to produce enough electricity in an efficient manner.

But otherwise I think the new tacoma got the better end of the deal vs. The 4runner lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I wonder what the new 3.5 means for the 4Runner? It will be interesting to see if Toyota will wait to put the 3.5 in the 6th gen 4Runner, or put the 3.5 in the current 5th gen (with a new front end, hopefully).

I think cam-less motors are the next big thing for internal combustion engines, but I also think we are years away from this. By that time, some sort of electric cars are probably going to be the norm.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 01-18-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

2018 would be the expected end of the 5th gen, either as the last year or the first year as a 6th gen. Especially with the cold reception of the 5th gen and the demise of the FJ Cruiser. I would not be surprised to see development mules this year.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post

I think cam-less motors are the next big thing for internal combustion engines, but I also think we are years away from this. By that time, some sort of electric cars are probably going to be the norm.
    An internal combustion engine is only 18% efficient at converting fuel to forward motion, where an electric car is 89% efficient at converting electrons to motion. An engineering group decided to make a V8 engine and replace the fuel burning piston stroke with the stroke of an electric motor. Even with the efficiency of the electric solenoids driving the "combustion," the efficiency losses are huge from the crank turning in the journals, cams pushing lifters, etc. Here's the site:
    http://insideevs.com/electric-motor-...strated-video/

Cam-less would help, but the cost and complexity to get past that 18% efficiency to what, 30% efficient--is it even worth it? I think that's why most companies are coming out with hybrids. You can use a much simpler and cheaper piston engine, throw out that expensive and complex 8 and 9 speed transmission and replace it with a simple electric motor and fixed gearbox and end up with way higher efficiency than a gas engine with 2 kinds of fuel injection (direct injection and port), variable valve timing, variable compression, cylinder deactivation, etc etc.

Technically we have already had a cam-less motor with the Rotary that was offered in the Mazda, who themselves have dropped research into....

Ken hit the nail on the head, we have gone as far as we can go with internal combustion, and hybrid will reach its max soon enough, we have to rely now on battery technology or new forms of fuel, such as the new hydrogen powered Toyota, as ugly as it is, with the patents open for all, hopefully that will be the spark that ignites the fire to new age or power.

The 4Runner should look to get the 3.5l for 2016 for sure, I would be surprised if it didn't along with the new terrain mode for the TRDPro and Trail version, though like in the past I am sure it will be detuned for the 4Runner...

As far as the face lift, that wont be till the 6th gen, and I have no doubts it will get worse then what it is now, I guess I am just biased towards loving the 4Runner because I still don't think its that bad, a different bumper and it will be fine, my same feel towards the Tacoma.

Another reason the front end looks of our beloved suvs and trucks is going to get worse is because what we see is not a bumper, its a bumper cover, to hide the plan bar behind it, our 4Runners are the last to actually have a steel bumper that is exposed to the exterior view. Unless we are a Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck or Full frame SUV (certain models) we are only going to see a molded piece of plastic until we throw the bumper we want on...

End Rant on body look lol

For many years Toyota was the technology leader for engines. Now that leader just might be Ford. The new 2.7L Ecoboost (twin turbo V6) used in the new F150 uses a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block (only found in high end diesel and race engines), main bearing caps are wedge fracture-split caps strong enough to support its own weight in a deadlift without the bolts. Skirt and lower crankcase are aluminum with a 1-piece ladder securing the main bearing caps (I think the 5VZ might use this too.) Makes 120 horsepower per liter, and it's a truck engine. Yet, the hardware and design more closely resemble a race engine.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    For many years Toyota was the technology leader for engines. Now that leader just might be Ford. The new 2.7L Ecoboost (twin turbo V6) used in the new F150 uses a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block (only found in high end diesel and race engines), main bearing caps are wedge fracture-split caps strong enough to support its own weight in a deadlift without the bolts. Skirt and lower crankcase are aluminum with a 1-piece ladder securing the main bearing caps (I think the 5VZ might use this too.) Makes 120 horsepower per liter, and it's a truck engine. Yet, the hardware and design more closely resemble a race engine.
    That truck and engine are beautiful, you really don't think its a V6 till you open the hood.
    Then again, they de-tuned the 5.0 in the F150 from the mustang making it feel weak...

Not sure if you guys saw this or not.

Comparison done by jalopnik.

Jalopnik, BTW, did not think too highly of the TRD Pro Tacoma. Read this:
    http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-th...ith-1670461402
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 06-11-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234