Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone using a different oil filter like the Taurus for the 3.4 v6?

anyone using a different oil filter like the Taurus for the 3.4 v6?

Part of me says these motors are going 300k without dicking with oil filters...but there's also part of me that thinks more filter pleats and/or material couldn't hurt and possibly raise my oil pressure a bit in a obviously worn engine.. The price is nearly the same as well. Is anyone here running them? I'm almost out of filters and its time to restock my shelf.

Ive read its using a `96 ford taurus V6 filter since its the exact same filter, just with a taller can and more actual filter in the filter. Oil passages are the same as well as filter construction and bypass valve. Some have claimed a toyota filter from a 4.0 will work as well and is bigger.

stolen info:
    ---Make-------Stock------Oversize
    Amsoil--------EAO57------EAO34
    Fram----------PH3614-----PH3600
    K&N-----------HP-1002----HP-2009
    Mobil---------M1-102-----M1-209
    Mopar---------L-335------???
    Napa----------1348-------1516
    PureOne-------PL10241----PL20195
    Purolator-----L10241-----L20195
    Wix-----------51348------51516

for info's sake there is lots of reading here. The cliff note info is to still avoid fram:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

I use the Taurus filter in the 4runner. No reason not to. I usually aim for the napa gold filter, but my local napa closed down so now it's a little more difficult.

I will be switching to the Fram PH2 equivalent soon, when I do a filter relocation kit. I am sick of drowning the bottom half of the engine compartment in oil every time I change it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

great! just what I was hoping to hear!

looking at getting this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-10691

It has the ports flat with the block. I will install it just ahead of where the fuel filter is and shield it with some steel.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I've run a Taurus filter twice since Ive owned my 4Runner. I buy my oil at Walmart and they don't have a huge back stock of filters. I get the fram double guard and when they didn't have the stock size I went with Taurus.

I didn't cut them open to compare but they worked fine. Only advantage I saw was it was larger and easier for me to tighten and remove without a filter wrench. I forgot about using one until this thread popped up. They only other times were when a 3614 wasn't on the shelf.

I'll say I have used Fram filters for years without a problem. I know they are not the best, but if you are sticking to synthetic and a 5k or less interval, I think they are fine. For more modern vehicles with longer change intervals, I think that filtration matters more.

Last week I saw an article about a guy who bought literally every brand of oil filter, tore them down and compared them to an OEM Toyota filter. While I have been unable to to relocate this article, I can assure you that every aftermarket filter was of cheap quality. Some even eliminated bypass valves, a safety feature in case the filter gets clogged (dirty oil is better than no oil, right?).

Bottom line, I'll never use any filter on my truck except an OEM filter. If I can locate the article I'll post it.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Found it! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

Definitely worth the read and watch the videos. Warning, he does use some foul language in the videos so keep the kiddies out.

The quality difference is pretty amazing
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

I run oem or the Amsoil extended drain.......they also carry the Amsoil Taurus model and I picked on up to give it a whirl once the weather warms up. They are identical except the Taurus model is about 50% longer.
    Last edited by ThorInc; 12-21-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Well, I may have to rethink my usage of the Amsoil brand after reading the thread link posted by
    L33T35T Tacoma
    Last edited by ThorInc; 12-21-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast