Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th Annual UY Mojave Road Expedition - "Off The Road" Trip - April 3-5, 2014

4th Annual UY Mojave Road Expedition - "Off The Road" Trip - March 13 - 15, 2014

Set out Friday morning, March 13, and off the trail by mid afternoon, Sunday, March 15th.

Dates are set!!! Put in for your time off, quit your job, and/or sell your children; whatever you have to do to come!

This year will be different than years past. We will see a few parts of the Mojave Road proper, but much more of the Mojave National Preserve and the surrounding areas.

Planning is in the beginning stages. If you know of a place that is a must see, or have one on your bucket list, speak up!

Mileage should be around 175 offroad. Trails will probably be a bit more difficult than dirt roads.

//Official Post: Items marked in green will change, check back for updates!

WELCOME TO THE FOURTH ANNUAL ULTIMATE YOTA MOJAVE ROAD EXPEDITION!

The dates are set. Friday March 13, 2015 through Sunday March 15, 2015.

If you can't make it the whole weekend, come out and join us for a day trip, come a day late or leave a day early! This trip is very different from the previous years. All are welcome, but read below to see if you are up for it!

The first post will be continually updated with more information, locations, suggestions, etc.

General Information:

Our direction of travel TBD!

6 Vehicle/14 Person Max (NPS regulations - otherwise we must apply for a permit) If there are more than 6, we will reach out to NPS for a permit or we will split the group into two smaller groups for camping and driving, whichever is more convenient.

Attendees:
    1. Seanz0rz - Sean & Alexus

Itinerary:

Thursday:
    20:00 - Camp 1 (Possibly near Clark Mountain or Afton Canyon)

Friday
    09:00 - Start

Saturday
    TBD

Sunday
    TBD

Important Information:

Communication:

Ham only run. If you don't have a ham, I have 1 extra hand held, but I highly encourage you to buy one and get your license. Contact me if you have any questions about this.

UY simplex primary 146.430MHZ (2m Ham)

Cell service is spotty at best. You may have a chance to check in with family at some point, and are encouraged to do so, but don't count on it!

Vehicle Requirements:
    • Vehicle in good working condition, with no known faults
    • Working 4WD
    • 1 spare within 2" of other tires
    • Working, suitable jack
    • Front and rear recovery points
    • Ham Radio in good working order

Note: Stock Vehicles are welcome on this trip. There are only a couple of short, difficult spots, and they are easily bypassed if necessary. The vast majority of the road will be a single track thorough the desert. Some areas present unrelenting corrugations, and others have undulations that can catch you off guard and swallow your vehicle. This is not a technically challenging run, but a scenic drive over some of the most beautiful desert areas found in California. The long distances and rough road are the challenge. Terrain will vary from rocky desert pavement, extremely soft sand, off camber sections, deep ruts and washes, and Soda (somewhat) Dry Lake. There will also be some water crossings that are easily crossed. 2wd vehicles could make it, but I am requesting that all vehicles are 4wd.

Required Equipment and Supplies:
    • Enough fuel to travel 200 miles in 4wd
    • Minimum 1/2 gallon water per person, per day
    • Food
    • Well stocked, current first aid kit
    • Tow strap (no hooks!) & shackle
    • Method to refill tires, if you choose to air down (recommended)
    • Basic tools
    • Sanitation Supplies - anywhere from a shovel and TP to a PETT toilet and privy, your choice.
    • Emergency Info Sheet

I will not be doing vehicle inspections, but I expect you to have all of these things in your vehicle.

Recommended Items:
    • Rear locker
    • Full size spare
    • Spares for common items
    • Still/Video camera with spare batteries and extra memory
    • Binoculars
    • Fire wood
    • Wide-brimmed hat

This is by no means a complete list, but merely the high points of what should be considered for this trip.

For those uninitiated to expedition style desert travel: The best way to travel is to travel light but do not forget comfort items. Three days off pavement without a good night's sleep will be miserable!

Sanitation:
    At some point during this trip, you will have to use the bathroom. There are no toilets where we are camping, and none along the road. #1 is fairly easily handled, #2 is up to your comfort level. I personally have a bucket with seat, Double-Doodie bags, and a privacy shelter. What you bring is up to you. Pack in - Pack out is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED.

Firewood:
    We will be camping 2-3 nights. If everyone brings 1-2 bundles of firewood, we should have plenty for 3 nights of camping with a good fire.

Weather:
    Weather can be very unpredictable in the deserts. This event is a rain or shine event, meaning we will be traversing the desert even if it is raining. Temperature can vary wildly. Higher elevations can see significant snowfall during the winter, and lower elevations frequently break 120F in the summer. Temperatures are expected to be between 55 and 80 in the day, and 30-50 at night. Layers are suggested, as well as extra socks and gloves. Saturday night, we will be camping between 4000ft and 5000ft. It can get quite cold.

More Information:

Dennis Casebier's "Mojave Road Guide" is HIGHLY recommended. It can be purchased here: http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5094.html
    I also have a previous edition for sale if anyone wants it. PM me for details.

Other guide books have information on the trail but the best is the one mentioned above.

Google is a great resource for research about the Mojave road.

Dirtopia has a bit of information and quite a few waypoints here: http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Mojave_Road

Probably the best resource is looking at the past trip reports.
    MRE 2013
    Mojave Road day trip
    MRE 2012
    Mojave Road West

Route:

Final Distance: ? from start to finish.

About 30 miles of that is pavement, but speed will be limited to 40 mph to save the tires from overheating.

Distance from Fort Mojave, AZ gas station to Trail Start is 7.5 miles and Distance from Trail End to Barstow gas station is 47 miles, most of which is on I-15. There are probably other gas stations, but this is the one I always aim for. We have also taken some backroads to get to Barstow to avoid Vegas return traffic.

Escape routes:
    If you just can't take one more minute of the desert, good news! There are several roads that cross the Mojave road that will take you back to the highways.

US95 - After just 11 miles on the road, if you figure out this is not for you, US95 will take you south towards Needles, or North towards Searchlight, NV.

Lanfair Road - Lanfair Road will come up around 40 miles in. North will take you towards the I-15, and south will take you to the I-40. The distances from the Mojave Road to the interstates are 32 miles to I-15 (road can be difficult), and 27 miles to I-40.

Cima Road - This will take you to I-15, 12 miles from the Mojave Cross.

Kelbaker Road - This will take you to Baker on the I-15.

There are other roads. If you think this is important information for you to have, you may want to research these roads further. We will have multiple maps and GPS devices to aid in navigation, even unexpected and emergency navigation.

Important Files:

MRE 2014 Safety Brief.pdf - Safety tips
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-01-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Oh man, I wish I was down there. Sounds awesome!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Next year!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I should be able to go on this one if my schedule holds

I gotta check my schedule but I outta be good for this!
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That's Easter weekend so I'm a maybe.

At work, I don't get president's day, MLK day, or even Veterans day off, but we get Good Friday. Just so happens to land near our anniversary and the typical date range for the trip.

First post updated. Not a lot of info but it's there.

Doing the planning now. Anything special you guys want to see?

I think I did this last year too.

Dates changed to mid march. Hopefully this works better for everyone.

I'm a possible for this. Wife is due on the 21st so I need to finish my top rack and do the ham license. Might also need some advice on a decent little handheld ham. I don't think getting a dash set will be in the budget along with the metal for the top rack.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast