Thread: A sign of changing attitudes?

A sign of changing attitudes?

If you have a minute, its a pretty good read on the DV facebook page right now. Tons of pro-access people are debating the eco terrorists over backcountry access for vehicles of all kinds. The odd thing is the eco-terrorists are outnumbered on there own page (the DV page is quite hippie leaning)

The most well put statement I have ever heard on the matter was there. I almost want to make it into a bumper sticker.
    It's almost funny how the elitists keep reverting to the false argument that OHV use damages the park. An OHV 2-track doesn't create any more resource damage than a hiker's single-track. Or for that matter, the burro's single-track, which you will find everywhere in DVNP. For every mile of OHV trails that are closed, the NPS, BLM, and USFS should also close a mile of hiking trails - maybe then the hypocritical elitists will feel the sting of recreational discrimination that the elderly, the disabled, the young, and other nature-loving backcountry OHV recreationists have suffered for decades.
    Take a look around here and see how well spoken some of our own are making a case for pro-access. I hope this is a sign of change.
    https://www.facebook.com/DeathValley...type=1&theater

I took a look and it seems the enviro-nuts were much less well spoken than the pro - offroad people.

Mountain bikers are piled in as criminals in parks to the point where you cannot ride a bicycle anywhere there isn't a road....which is pretty slanted as well.

I grow very tired of equestrians since they never clean up after their animals, cry when a biker is using a trail because it might scare their precious animal, but then claim the same bikers were in their way when they gallop on their horses. Mostly I find then to be pretentious, overbearing, arrogant, and confused. It seems they bought the trail when they paid for their horse but my bike is a kids toy or some nonsense. Equestrians also destroy biking trails on blm land on purpose. They destroyed several out where I am at.

I'm not a big fan of hikers either but most of them are at least tolerable.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That sounds about right. It takes a certain type of person to own a horse. Its either a giant sum of money or a extreme life choice to board them yourself. Thus you never have a horse owner that just enjoys them, they tend to be crazy about them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    That sounds about right. It takes a certain type of person to own a horse. Its either a giant sum of money or a extreme life choice to board them yourself. Thus you never have a horse owner that just enjoys them, they tend to be crazy about them lol.
    Horses are beautiful animals and I don't mind riding them (the few times I have) but you could have a team of sled dogs for the same cost as it takes to feed one horse and the vet bill might be cheaper too! I think some of them just ride because of the status they think it gives them. Kinda like going to the mall in a Ferrari.....just my .02
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Horse people are nuts, perfectly ok for thier animal to take giant craps all over the place and not clean it up. But totally unacceptable for anyone or anything else to enjoy the outdoors. Same for the environazis-if it were up to them we wouldnt be allowed in the woods.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Horse people are nuts, perfectly ok for thier animal to take giant craps all over the place and not clean it up. But totally unacceptable for anyone or anything else to enjoy the outdoors. Same for the environazis-if it were up to them we wouldnt be allowed in the woods.
    But the enviro-nuts would patrol....just to make sure we weren't out there lol. Bunch of f ' in hypocrites.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    But the enviro-nuts would patrol....just to make sure we weren't out there lol. Bunch of f ' in hypocrites.
    Oh of course!

In NJ the sierra club has been working for eons to close as much ORV type trails as possible. Understand the following: They have made it illegal to ride an atv or dirtbike on fire roads and such b/c its not a plated vehicle. BUT take an enduro plated bike or your truck on these same fire roads-perfectly fine...

We have literally no offroad trails to go to besides a few fire roads and wharton state forest. Everywhere else is totally illegal.
    Last edited by CJM; 12-31-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Oh of course!

In NJ the sierra club has been working for eons to close as much ORV type trails as possible. Understand the following: They have made it illegal to ride an atv or dirtbike on fire roads and such b/c its not a plated vehicle. BUT take an enduro plated bike or your truck on these same fire roads-perfectly fine...

We have literally no offroad trails to go to besides a few fire roads and wharton state forest. Everywhere else is totally illegal.
    That's crazy. For every orv they close a hiking trail should be closed too. If nature is so delicate maybe at their next meeting you can convince them to drink koolaide so they can truly eliminate their carbon footprint.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    That's crazy. For every orv they close a hiking trail should be closed too. If nature is so delicate maybe at their next meeting you can convince them to drink koolaide so they can truly eliminate their carbon footprint.
    We are supposed to have 3 different atv parks located in 3 areas of the state (north, central and south) by 2012..yea that didnt happen. Instead we spent it on protecting whatever poor endangered animal. To make a point of how messed up NJ is, years ago they were building state hwy 33 in my area. They literally STOPPED building a section about 2 miles long (had to get off and then back on using local roads) b/c the environazis claimed some endangered tortoise lived in that very spot. 15 years later and countless studies..no tortoise at all and they finished that spot of the hwy. The environazis pull that stuff all the time it seems.

NJ sucks in many regards, ORV, gun and other laws. But on the other hand the state is so diverse, beaches, mountains, many nice wilderness areas, etc. Just a shame in the last 100 years the US itself has allowed these idiots to cause havoc and ruin it for everyone. I understand those who pollute or trash an area..but they are getting way strict for no reason. IE why is it riding in a public ORV area an atv cant have a loud exhaust..when the ORV is DESIGNED to be used by ATV and thats why people go there and pay for permits to ride there..How does the noise level factor into anything when your in the middle of the desert?

I found a couple of things worth reading. I noticed this in person when I traveled from Palm Springs to the western side of the Rockies in Colorado. It seemed like the national parks were choking commerce out of the western states due to all the land on either side of the interstate being national parks. Here's one link. I'm on my phone so I didn't read thoroughly but this has gotten out of control imo but it's almost hidden from the east coast population.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/291...ands-in-the-us

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...eir-land-back/

They do the same thing in CA with the exhaust. Somehow my base stickers automatically give me access to the land without inspection. I have to look more into it in case I ever go out there again. I have king of the hammers 45 minutes from my house and I don't think I am going to make it this year but they were trying to shut that down as well by letting my base purchase the land from CA. There was some deal struck but I can't remember what it was. As it is 29 Palms has the largest training area in CONUS I believe.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf