Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Annual UY Mojave Road Expedition - "Off The Road" Trip - March 13-15, 2014

One of my favorites!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I've got a clunk in my suspension. Gonna figure it out tomorrow at the hobby shop. Hoping it's just a link sliding back and forth and not a ball joint
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Check the A arms up front. Loosen them up with the wheels on the ground (ride height) and torque them down to the FSM value +10% (if you wish). Mine always clunk there if they aren't tight. Could be shock mounts and just about anything really. Suspension clunks are a pain in the ass.

Also look to make sure your factory jack is properly secured...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Check the A arms up front. Loosen them up with the wheels on the ground (ride height) and torque them down to the FSM value +10% (if you wish). Mine always clunk there if they aren't tight. Could be shock mounts and just about anything really. Suspension clunks are a pain in the ass.

Also look to make sure your factory jack is properly secured...
    Feels more like the rear but I have been watching my lbj's for a while. I also need to fix the camber up front. I've been meaning to do it for a while and it just seems to slip. It's not much but it needs to go on the rack.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

My money is on the panhard bar mounting points.

I agree with Mike.

I just went ahead and ordered the ball joints. That way when I'm rotating tires, installing springs, and aligning the truck I won't have to worry about those since they have been leaking for a while. Also going to check the torque on the rear arms.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Get new ball joint bolts! And don't over tighten them! They fail often.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Get new ball joint bolts! And don't over tighten them! They fail often.
    Yeah I did the tacoma setup. I know about the turning radius. Total came to 272 with shipping so not too bad. I will probably end up doing the steering rack before fall anyway. That will refresh the front end completely and I can drive pretty much worry free for another 85k at least.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast