Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Annual UY Mojave Road Expedition - "Off The Road" Trip - March 13-15, 2014

So I'm leaning more in the going direction than anything else. Hopefully I just sold my old rear diff but that should give me enough for a radio or a pile of metal to melt for a top rack lol.

Really excited about going. I've done a little exploring in my back yard but not much.

I looked at the Mojave West thread and you were sitting at a railroad crossing that is about 30 minutes or so from my house. I was in Afghan for that summer though I think.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 01-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That railroad (http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...est-11-4-2011; First picture) is what we will be following, with our goal being Kelbaker Road, where that first pic was. Just a big question if that is UP property and if there is a wilderness boundary (which I have some anecdotal evidence of).

We need to be on this "road":

I am very happy with my Baofengs. If you don't end up getting one before the trip, I always carry at least one spare.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-03-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We're right at 190 now, with some minor changes to the route pictured in the first post (I will update later).

That's about 70-80 miles for the first two days, and the change on the third day.

Looking for camp sites now. Of course there isn't much at the 70 or 80 mark, but we will find something.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 01-03-2015 at 07:17 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We should be OK on that road. Railroad property can extend 15-100 feet from the center of the tracks. This section has power lines so that should be off UP land

Also topo maps show parallel roads to the rails in that area
    Last edited by troyboy162; 01-03-2015 at 08:26 PM.

I think so too. I will have alternate routes planned just in case.

I am done with the planning. Not too bad. I have a few camp sites in mind depending on how we do time wise. I will email those later.

First post has been fully updated (at least until T-2 Weeks) with all of the info. Looks like we are about 240 miles fuel stop to fuel stop. 200 of that is dirt. It will be the longest I've had to travel between gas offroad. Shouldn't be too bad though.

I CAN'T FRICKEN WAIT!

The route is perfect for me. I will be coming up my usual shortcut to Vegas through kellbaker and cima/nipton rd. Always wanted to explore the offroad up there so I am looking forward to this. Only thing that's still foggy is the delivery date and work but I should be able to get away for the weekend. The wife has approved me for a probably status. Great thing about the route is for the most part we are slowly travelling closer to my house.

I'm starting to gather supplies and stuff. I have most of it already but good fresh baby wipes are the key to being comfy in the outdoors. The weather should be perfect around that time. Right now it's in the 20s for the mornings and just kinda miserable.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Yep, it's nice to have a short drive home and the longer drive starting out just heightens the anticipation.

It won't be too bad cell phone wise. I'll also have other ways of staying in contact in case you have to bail.

I had cell reception for a lot of the trip last year (Verizon 3g and even 4g at times). Most notably at camp. During the day my phone would chime here and there letting me know I had an email. This was my indicator I was in range.

I'd love to join you. I'm a new guy to this forum. I have all of the essentials except for the HAM license and equipment. How long does it take to get certified?

Marc

I spent a few weeks studying the materials before I took the exam. Some people love the stuff, but I was bored to death. The only way I got through it was to read the material on the beach in the Dominican Republic. Every 10 seconds I would come close to falling asleep, and found that looking up at the beach hotties would reawake me and I could read another 10 seconds. To each is own, but buy a study book and book a trip to the Carribean. You'll do fine. Welcome to the forums.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast