Thread: Anyone own a good air mattress?

Anyone own a good air mattress?

I'm looking to buy a comfortable air mattress. You know, when you have guests over. That kind of mattress. I used to have a crappy Coleman one where if you moved on it, it would make that viynl rubbing sound and the other person would feel your movement. I need something more comfortable.

This one is the highest rated/top selling one from Amazon. Sure wish I could sleep on one to test it out, but if any of you folks have this or something comparable, lemme know.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAW4O0A/...F7ST2YXH&psc=1

Bob

We've had so many over the years. The ones that have stuck around and are pretty comfortable are the Aero Bed brand. Both of ours have pillow tops and they were from Costco. I think the pillow top thing was a Costco exclusive and might not be made anymore. It's more of an insulated padded thing but makes it really comfortable.

We've got the full size as well as the queen size with the headboard. Both have the integrated pumps which require AC power, not batteries, and inflate the mattresses super quick. Below are current links. It looks like the pillow top is no longer an option and the colors have changed.

Full: http://www.aerobed.com/Elevated-Full-Airbed-P44.aspx

Queen: http://www.aerobed.com/Lasting-Comfo...Queen-P73.aspx

Mike,

Thanks for the recommendation on the Aerobed. If its still sold at Costco, even better! I should just bust open the bed, inflate it, and try it out

How thick is the mattress topper? After reading many reviews, people say it makes a world of difference.

Bob

The topper is part of the upper chamber, I'm pretty sure. The lower chamber is 90% of the height of the whole thing and the upper chamber has what seems like a nice thick fleece (not the jacket kind, more like matted fleece) on top of it. I'd say that chamber is 4-5" tall. It's probably all one chamber the sides just have a seem about 90% of the way up.

I slept on it at Christmas at Marin's sister's house and it was comfy. Luckily I didn't have to share but it was a little cold. We were downstairs and it was 32* outside. Since the mattress is on the floor of the downstairs I felt slightly chilled when I'd roll over. Nothing a blanket on the top wouldn't fix and something all air mattresses are plagued with.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Luckily I didn't have to share
    So one of the things I'm concerned about is how comfy it is with two people on. My ex and I slept on a coleman 1 chamber and when I rolled, she rolled too. Do these multi-coil/chamber types really stop that from happening?

We've slept two fine. Marin sleeps like a star fish, as do the kids. As a result I tend to sleep on a couch and leave the inflatables for them. It is still an air bed though so there is some motion to the ocean.

I gave up on air mattresses long ago. Back when I was traveling around, I slept on one of these in the back of the 4Runner:

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Shikibut...rds=shikibuton

I had a brown one with the above dimensions. I slept on it for 5 months straight while I was camping and driving around. I'm also using it here at my new place until I get around to buying a real bed. The quality seems pretty good, and it's pretty comfortable. I wouldn't mind getting a 4" thick version eventually. It doesn't roll up though, and only folds into thirds, so storage isn't very good. It's so much better than dealing with air mattresses though.

My dad bought a green one, and he likes it. I noticed the quality of his shikabuton didn't seem as good as mine. His had a few loose threads and came out of the box a bit wrinkled. He still likes it though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD