Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th gen roof rack

4th gen roof rack

I've been threatening to build a roof rack for more than 5 years now and I'm getting tired of lugging around my big box of recovery gear in the back so finally, design and fabrication begins. With my 2nd gen 4runner I built a rear bumper with a tool box but I probably won't get around to building one of those for a while. So this time, I'm going to build a low profile box that will sit flush with the top of a new roof rack. Also, for the past year I've had a couple LED backup lights sitting in my drawer so it's time to mount those too.

The front is to the right in the pictures and the box is shown without the cover, otherwise it wouldn't look very exciting. I wanted this thing to be low profile sitting flush with the top of the factory rails but with a 4" tall box, that's not going to happen. It'll end up being a couple inches above it. Also, the lights are 5" tall so they'll be a little taller than the rack itself.

The main rails of the factory rack use a channel that allows the cross beams to slide back and forth. I'll use these channels to interface with the 4 vertical brackets you see on the sides. Very simple, just 2 bolts at each corner. Total weight without the box is 23 lbs. The box will be made from aluminum since I have a friend who has a sheetmetal brake and can tig Al for me. The rack itself will be steel because I can do that work and I don't want to bother him too much.

For now, I'm still trying to figure out what kind of latches to use for the cover of the box. Ideally, they'd be draw latches that snug the cover against some seals, but also low profile and lockable. The last requirement is the hard part because I don't want to use padlocks because they'll clang around and make noise.

I'll probably get material sometime in the coming week and then start fabrication in 2 weeks.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I got some work done on the roof rack over the last few weeks. Although it might not look like much, it took me all day to cut the sheetmetal and draw the guide lines for bending. To cut the aluminum I used a jigsaw and then a hand file to smooth it out. Here's where I start bragging because I'm impressed with how well it came out . Over the whole 41" length the cuts are probably out of straightness by less than 1/16". Every angle is almost perfectly square and the length measurements are almost perfect. It almost looks like it was cut with a sheetmetal shear.

You may be wondering why there are so many pieces. In addition to the main box, I'm also making a small one for "dog bags" so I don't have to put them in the passenger compartment. The other set is for my friend. In chatting with him I mentioned I could make one for his pathfinder, so I'm making two roof racks. This coming weekend I'll head over to my friend's house to bend the sheetmetal and the tubing. Then after that, I'll start welding.
    Steve

Nice!! I like the design and it's simple. Sounds like your mounting system is fairly easy

I've been meaning to look up how a press brake works as I will want one when I make the lower storage for the bbq.

As for the locking system maybe you can use a padlock. Just use a short rubber bungee bolted on either side so it holds the lock tight to the mounting surface. Then you can use whatever level hasp or closing mechanism you like.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Much attention to detail Steve. I like that about your projects.

As for a lock you might want to look into lock kits for tool boxes or gun cabinets. I know Homak sells a nice cylinder lock I had looked at for a project once. Another thing to consider is a lock and latch from a truck tool box. Like Weathergard or Delta. They are typically pretty nice and more weather resistant.

Link https://www.google.com/search?q=weat...ed=0CAkQ_AUoAg

I vote medeco can locks, but I deal with those every day. Cheaper alternatives are Best and Chicago.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Anything rubber won't last more than one summer here in AZ and I don't want to have to replace a bungie cord all the time, but that is my backup plan. My friend and I have pretty much scoured the internet for latches and have possibly found one from a company called Sierra Pacific, but they don't sell to the public. However, we did find an industrial hardware store locally that can purchase from them so we're finding out about prices.
    Steve

This caught my eye in a picture and I thought you might be interested.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lo...CSEN/202260772

It certainly has potential.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks but way too big. The box is only 4" high and the lock is 5". Plus it would effectively triple the cost of whole project since I need two.
    Steve

Ok, I made a lot of progress this weekend. On saturday I went over to my friend's house so he could bend the aluminum, weld it, and bend some steel tube. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the sheet metal being bent, but I did get some of the tube bender.

I think my friend hammered the joint together but this is how straight I had to get the edges after cutting it with a jigsaw and filing it flat. Any gaps make it much harder to weld with a tig.

All done.

Today, I got a little bit of a late start since I had to wait around until 10a to do some shopping at Costco, but once I got back I didn't stop until 9pm. I got the two halves of the bent steel welded together and then the fish mouthed center support was added.

Speaking of fish mouth, I don't have a fish mouthing jig so I did it the old fashioned way with an angle grinder.

Next were the straps to hold the box down. The trick to bending flat stock in a vice is to make sure it is square with the vise jaws.

Here it is 80% done. The next 10% should go fast, but the last 10% is always the slowest and hardest to get done.

Things left to do:

Make supports for the backup lights and dog box.
    Weld on the supports that bolt to the factory rails.
    Attach the piano hinge to the box and cover for the main box and dog box.
    Pick up the latches whenever they come in and attach them.
    Paint the frame.
    Bolt on the boxes.

Was there some kind of a football game today?
    Steve

Great work Steve. It looks very clean and straight. Any plans for tie downs? Or sides of sorts? Any other details like antenna mount/tab, additional lights, possible fairing tabs? It appears that the rack mounts with the box to the rear. Tabs here and there might be easiest before mounting and paint.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast