Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen roof rack

No tie downs or sides. My ratchet straps fit around the 1" outer frame so that's going to be my tie down. And for sides...I've never seen the advantage of having sides since the ratchet straps hold everything in place pretty well. The only thing I might do is add one more 1/2" cross bar to reinforce the longitudinal 1/2" bars, plus, where they cross will provide another tie down point.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I hear ya. My rack and shelf have bent nails for tie downs, no sides. I was just trying to picture it on top of your rig.

I was thinking about you today and all kinds of questions came up.
    -Do you still have your 2nd gen?
    -What ever happened with your friends FJ40 project?
    -Did you get around to modding your 10-22?

Well done!! Very well thought out. Looking Forward To Seeing It mounted.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Here's a teaser that addresses almost everything, including what the rack looks like on the truck. I have to get ready for work now...

Steve

I like it! The way the box is situated you could even cook up some kind of fairing if the rack ends up making noise.

I haven't been able to get a lick of work done on mine. Busy week and with everything going on even my weekend is shot. I won't be making the hammers this year either.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ha! Awesome, thanks. So does the old girl get out much?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I hear ya. My rack and shelf have bent nails for tie downs, no sides. I was just trying to picture it on top of your rig.

I was thinking about you today and all kinds of questions came up.
    -Do you still have your 2nd gen?
    -What ever happened with your friends FJ40 project?
    -Did you get around to modding your 10-22?
    Ok, since I've been in this building mood I've been pretty busy lately so it's been hard to update this thread. Once I get into these moods I end up work from morning until 9 or 10p...it's just too much fun!

So yes, I do still have the old 2nd gen but unfortunately I only drive it about once a month to keep it running. Last week, however, I drove it every day for 3-4 days to get it back into shape for emissions testing and wouldn't you know it, the battery dies on me at work. I can't complain too much though, considering I got 7 years out of the optima blue top.

My friends FJ project has been stalled for the past few years. I'm actually very disappointed in it because it's now in pieces and I have a feeling he won't ever get it back together. I should have known better because he has a short attention span and once he gets bored with one toy he moves on to another. Hopefully one day he'll get back into so I can help him get it back on the road. I don't care if he sells it afterward, but to destroy a classic is a terrible thing to do.

I'll update the 10/22 thread, but it's done for now because I've discovered the joys of an AR 22.
    Steve

The other day I stopped by the steel place because I figured out the plates I cut for the mounts were .25" too short for the box. It's hard to tell how high I needed to make it since the roof is curved. While I was there, I noticed these pre-made tabs that looked like they would fit in the rail slot. What do you know, they fit perfectly and I saved a bunch of time not having to cut flat stock and drilling holes. I had some 1/4-20 nuts laying around so I welded those to the tab and called them done.

Locating the mount plates to the frame took a lot longer than I thought it would. What I ended up doing was bolting the plates to the rails and then tacking the frame right in place on top of the 4runner. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of this.

Next, I made the mounts for the backup lights. The holes are for the wiring and I'll end up siliconing the wires in place.

Because of the low clearance between the rack and the roof, I welded the box bolts to the rack and ground them down flush.

And here's the finished product.

And lastly, I think we found the perfect latches and they ended up being slightly less than $10 each, out the door. (By the way, I'm totally impressed with this picture I took)
    Steve

Looks great!

That pic of the lock should be in their catalog.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    That pic of the lock should be in their catalog.
    I know, right!
    Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast