Thread: The Trans American Tail

The Trans American Tail

A co-worker and good friend of mine through out an idea that I am very well contemplating taking part in with him.

http://www.transamtrail.com/the-trans-am-trail/

He just got himself a V-Strom this past summer and a buddy of his has the same.
    I would sort of be a support vehicle in this, at the same time doing something totally different for me (I have done mostly short trip extreme rock crawling).

The trail goes from just west of the Appalachian Mountains outside of North Caroline to the Seashore or Southern Oregon.
    I have only done a bit of brief reading, and watched the short video of Jay Leno's European consultant do it in an LR4.

Just curious if any of you have heard of this trail, looks pretty neat.
    I have never really done any Expedition style wheeling nor have I been focusing my build towards such.

Just wanted to throw this out there and see every ones thoughts on this.

Seems interesting. What kind of info on the trail do you have? How much is "trail" that you can drive?

Looks pretty neat to me! I would definitely want to do this although I'd have to save up a lot of vacation time to do so.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That looks awesome! I remember watching something on the Weather Channel about a guy who was struck by lightning while staying at a hotel somewhere along the trail.

Looks like the trail goes pretty close to the Alpine Loop in CO, as well as through some neat parts of UT.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Troy, I am in the middle of a move right now so I haven't been able to sit down and read a bunch on this, just the little ear worms from my friend. Apparently it is all doable in a small off roadsers mostly bikes, Leno's guy did it in LR4s and I think there were a few jeeps inquiring to do it, and sounds like they can, only warnings were guys saying it was a little tight in Colorado.

Kryptoroxx, yeah I will have to do a lot of convincing on the better half's part to do this one, then after that at least a month, month and a 1/2 off work...

Dan, I read some of that in the FAQ question as well, Once I am settled in I will do a little more reading, it all looks awesome, just been trying to figure out in my head what I would need to do to the 4Runner to do this trip the right way...