Thread: Belt Squeal?

Belt Squeal?

So... the 4Runner isn't appreciating winter that much this year.

This sound like some crazy belt squeal to you fellas, or something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_NYpFaiBhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiyocLh8FhM

Between that... my door locks flipping out while driving (locking/unlocking repeatedly at random), my driver side door key cylinder not turning, and my brake pedal being 'stuck' on cold days until I press on it for a bit... I'll be taking a 5th gen now please!

[ it should be noted that the door lock & cylinder issue isn't year round ]

From what I read about them, a 5th gen won't solve any of your problems. Sure you'll spend a bunch of money and you'll have a warranty but in 5 years you'll have nothing like you'd have with your 3rd gen.

Sounds like you have some belt noise. Have you checked the belt tension? Visibly checked them for wear or cracking? Does the noise change when you have your defrost/AC on? I know it's cold where you live but does the noise change once the underhood temps change?

Cold here right now will hit freezing but mostly it's in the high 40's to low 50's and my belts make more noise in the morning than they do after driving around a bit. I would avoid adding belt conditioner to your belts. If they are old replace them. If the noise is a pulley or bearing (alternator,PS or compressor) new belts won't help. There is also the AC belt tension pulley that rides low and can go out. It's a cheap and easy fix.

As far as your locks and cylinder it seems like they don't like the cold. I remember reading years ago that moisture in the switch panel on the door will cause similar issues. It may have even been brought up here.

It won't take long on the 5th gen forums to realize they are problematic and you'll wish your only electrical gremlin is door locks. It sounds like the source of that problem is the lock cylinder (with the lock cylinder not turning), so you may want to start by looking at that since it triggers the rest of the locks. The squeal might be worn belts, too loose/too tight, or as Mike said, a bearing somewhere.

I have belt squeel on my alternator belt on cold days as well. My locks will act squirly if the windows are down and allow water into the door.

In California the cold days and rain are few and far between so i don't mind it much

Figure out what belt it is and tighten it a bit. I feel mine is pretty tight so I don't want to over tighten it to fix a non problem. I just burp the throttle and the squeel is gone. I keep tabs on its condition and also carry a trail spare anyhow

You can also look into the soap trick. Rub a bar of soap on the inside of the belts and see if it quiets it down. Also, a belt may look good but the ridges maybe separating from the belt and when they go around a pulley they make noise. The pulley grooves should also be not only free of gunk but also clean.

Thanks guys... I wanted your loving affirmation (kidding) that it was probably just belts. I assumed as much, but haven't heard it so obnoxious.

Yes, Mike, it's a bit cold here. At time of posting it was -23F. Today was -1F, with -13F windchill. It should be nicer starting tomorrow though.. so maybe in the next few days I can check it out.

Also, the locks isn't cold weather related. The cylinder was stuck all through summer as well... just not sure what to do there so I just dealt with it. Just a little bit of pressure and it will unlock, even though it's just BARELY moving. It won't lock however. I just watched a video saying to spray key with WD40 and had no luck there... then immediately after read a post saying that WD40 was a bad choice. Go figure.

Dang dude, it's cold there. If your belts are multiple years old I'd replace them just as maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Dang dude, it's cold there. If your belts are multiple years old I'd replace them just as maintenance.
    Indeed. 13F, -1F wind chill w/ light snow right now so not too bad. Supposed to be 37F on Saturday. *shrug*

I don't recall the exact mileage/how many years ago, but belts + water pump got replaced ~50k miles ago / 4-5years ago. New alternator this summer.