Thread: crappy camping gear for lighting that I like

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

crappy camping gear for lighting that I like

I think this is mostly backlash from all the hours I spend underground with the most efficient, inhumane, blue hues of LEDS I can find...but I like crappy lights now. I may someday work up to a Coleman lantern, but for now I have these two low performance beauties. Neither of them have even made it on a trip since they really are not all that useful for most situations. If and when you do see me break out one of these things rest assured I am not trying to set "the mood"... Just shake your head as I enjoy some crappy orange light for a bit.

I bought a south African candle lantern. Its literally one candle power and even when your eyes adjust thats still not enough light to do much of anything lol. People use them mostly to light up a one man tent and provide a bit of heat.

So then looking for improved output I moved up to a 80's technology that we experienced at a DV cabin. Thats 1880, not 1980. We are talking about 7 candle power out of this photon pump I bought lol. That's enough to sit around and have a beer, but I quickly found out that these will not transport well filled with oil. The 1880's design means the fuel has its choice of any seam above the fill cap to leak out of. Some of you may see this little crappy light on future trips. The problem now is that using it means a separate fuel bottle and the hassle of filling and draining the tank. Separate fuel and the hassle of mantles are why I did not want a Coleman lantern. The only thing this grandpa light has going for it now is nostalgia and silent operation.

Last edited by troyboy162; 02-08-2015 at 05:05 PM.