Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappy camping gear for lighting that I like

crappy camping gear for lighting that I like

I think this is mostly backlash from all the hours I spend underground with the most efficient, inhumane, blue hues of LEDS I can find...but I like crappy lights now. I may someday work up to a Coleman lantern, but for now I have these two low performance beauties. Neither of them have even made it on a trip since they really are not all that useful for most situations. If and when you do see me break out one of these things rest assured I am not trying to set "the mood"... Just shake your head as I enjoy some crappy orange light for a bit.

I bought a south African candle lantern. Its literally one candle power and even when your eyes adjust thats still not enough light to do much of anything lol. People use them mostly to light up a one man tent and provide a bit of heat.

So then looking for improved output I moved up to a 80's technology that we experienced at a DV cabin. Thats 1880, not 1980. We are talking about 7 candle power out of this photon pump I bought lol. That's enough to sit around and have a beer, but I quickly found out that these will not transport well filled with oil. The 1880's design means the fuel has its choice of any seam above the fill cap to leak out of. Some of you may see this little crappy light on future trips. The problem now is that using it means a separate fuel bottle and the hassle of filling and draining the tank. Separate fuel and the hassle of mantles are why I did not want a Coleman lantern. The only thing this grandpa light has going for it now is nostalgia and silent operation.

Last edited by troyboy162; 02-08-2015 at 05:05 PM.

I dunno Troy. Slippery slope to the 200 dollar teak camp chair and walrus penis leather canteen.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

haha that is so true!!!! I am only $65 into it for the both of these though. They would laugh at me on expo.

You better add a zero to the end of that price if you tell them about it!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I dunno Troy. Slippery slope to the 200 dollar teak camp chair and walrus penis leather canteen.
    I almost shot chili out my nose when I read this!!
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

yep I'm a cheapo. The oil lantern I bought is a Chinese clone of a Chinese lantern at half the price. With the internet you learn they are all probably made in the same factory and all built just as crappy as they were in 1880. One that dosnt leak from the bottom right off the bat is a "good one" and if you want nice thick glass globes you are 50 years too late to the party lol.

The candle lantern is sorta premium but it runs on cheap candles vs expensive proprietary ones that other do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I almost shot chili out my nose when I read this!!
    haha I died laughing too. I trust you guys will keep me in line before I am sourcing whale blubber to render oil for a traditional eskimo lamp.

Liposuction clinic.

haha that ought to smell traditional enough...I think we are on to something marketable here boys!

in other news I will have to work on my truck next weekend since no one will come out and play : (

Come help me with mine. Still lots of sanding to do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast