Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crappy camping gear for lighting that I like

you dont want my handy work Sean. I still fix most of issues with my hand sledge and crow bar. You would be sanding and primping on one side of the truck; while I secretly was rattle canning the other side and packing you for a big bear run lol.

I've got a couple of UCO candle lanterns from when I worked in the business. I think I took them on one snow camping trip and that was it. This was well before LED days and part of the reason they came with me was for the heat. I still have the lanterns and yes the light is nice, calm and warm.

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Original-C.../dp/B00BMMF83O

One thing I like about them is that they use 10 hour candles. They last a long time and for some reason I have a couple of bags of the candles. Most are in the power outage drawer but I do keep two candles in the 4runner, in my kit for emergencies as they don't melt in the summer heat and could be useful.

I've got a couple of Coleman propane lanterns and the light output can't be beat. If you need to light up a camp they are great but a bit loud. Now I just use them in the back of the back yard when we have summer parties and for 24 hour mountain bike races. They travel okay and use the same fuel as my large stove.

About 5 years ago I bought a Black Diamond Titan LED lantern, http://www.rei.com/product/807911/bl...-titan-lantern , with our dividend. It's a nice light and has decent output. Sturdy and self contained but I don't always bring it along. For the most part the family always uses headlamps, we have a small led light in the tent and the 4Runner has bright lights in and under it. Along with a fire we haven't had much need for additional light and with the kids it's one less thing to pack.

I have always wanted to make a lantern with some LED bits I have but haven't had the need. The Titan is good but not great, hence my desire to pull it apart one day.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 02-08-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12