Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a vacuum sealer

Recommend me a vacuum sealer

Growing up my Mom used one and I think it's the same one I left home with when I moved out. Years later I have no idea where it went but lately it seems like it could come in handy. I know Sean uses one and gets a lot of utility out of his.

What's a good one to get?

For the most part I don't think I'll use it for food like I remember seeing on info-ercials. It will be more for "stuff" ranging from say the size of a book of matches to two sticks of butter.

Do they all work the same? I see some work with bags while others use a sleeve that you make seams with. Ideally i'd like to reduce waste with size of bags but it seems they come in different sizes.

It looks like some can reseal other items, not the seal bags.

Just looking for a little guidance from what you guys might have experience with.

Quick post.

We have a food saver brand. Its pretty darn good. Uses pre made bags or the make your own sleeves.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I assume making your own sleeves is from a roll?

For smaller items and a standard width roll can you seal on all sides of an object to make a smaller "package"?

I suppose so. They sell 2 widths of sleeves so you can choose the one that fits best. I suppose you could seal off more area for a tighter package, but it's
    Not necessary. You actually need some space around the sides to make sure the bottom gets a proper vacuum, otherwise the contents has a tendency to seal it off, especially beef.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I assume making your own sleeves is from a roll?

For smaller items and a standard width roll can you seal on all sides of an object to make a smaller "package"?
    Mike,

I have this. Works well, great reviews on Amazon. I use my own roll, cheaper and better this way. Great if you buy a lot of frozen meat, fish, chix from Costco. We used it quite a bit when camping too. Make the meal and then seal. Boil in water or dump the contents in a pot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About what we have too. Ours has the little hose to do the jars, but we don't have any jars so I cannot comment there. We do the Costco meat run about once a month (a little less now that we have a big freezer) and use it probably 6 hours a month for that, then saving left overs here and there.

Using the roll is cheaper, but you end up wasting so much because the bag has to go so far into the machine to vac and seal. sometimes the precut quart or gallon bags can be more efficient.

I've also done wheel bearing kits where I prepacked the bearings with grease, tossed a bit of extra grease in there and food saved it, then put it in another bag with all of the other parts, and sealed that. This way I had a field kit for the trailer bearings. I also did the trauma part of my first aid kit that way, so everything stayed clean and dry.

+1 on the food saver, We have the same thing and love it!

Im looking at getting the FoodSaver one. I want to Precook my meals and seal them. Now my question is?? can i throw the bag in boiling water to reheat than open bag and eat right out of it. Can these bags handle being in boiling water?? Im try to reduce clean up time of pots and pans
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Yes, you can do that. I usually precook meals then open the bag and drop them into a pan. Works great with burgers so you get that BBQ flavor then seal it up, and a bit of crisp from the pan so it's not so slimy.

can i drop the bag in boiling water with it sealed still?? than cut it open and eat
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast