Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me a vacuum sealer

Yep. Since there is virtually no air, it won't expand and pop. I'm still not sold on the safety of boiling a plastic bag. They say it's safe.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Yep. Since there is virtually no air, it won't expand and pop. I'm still not sold on the safety of boiling a plastic bag. They say it's safe.
    It's a method of cooking so I would think it's safe. I don't think I would reheat at boiling temp since I plan on precookimg the food. The heated water wil just warm them up. Looks like im getting a food saver soon

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide
    Last edited by toyotech; 03-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

I ended up getting a great deal locally on Craigslist. I was looking at new models on Amazon and most were more than I wanted to spend.

I found one for $15, that included a large roll of bag material. I don't really see how I'd use it for camping food but have found many uses around the house and garage.

One for my first projects was consolidating and compressing some of the gear in my large first aid kits. It not only saves a bunch of space but also creates a much stronger and waterproof packaging for certain items. I also made a couple small pocket first aid kits and sealed them. I made a couple bike jersey pocket sized, with appropriate items for that use, a few cargo pocketed sized ones as well as EDC style amd equipped versions.

I was also able to organize my off road trail tools and tool wraps. Some items are a bit more protected and easier to find now that they are in tough clear plastic.

I'm using a trick I saw on YouTube for custom sealing. If I don't use the roll bag I have a few boxes of quart sized vacuum bags. To get a perfect little package I'll seal it with the machine then use my wife's flat iron hair thingy to bring the sealed edge closer to the item.

This allows me to cut much more of the excess away creating a smaller and still vacuum sealed package. This is helpful for some of the med stuff where you can rip open, I devised a cool little opening system, a kit and still have some of the items within it small and sealed. This keeps it from going everywhere and if you don't need the entire kit it's still mostly sealed.

My 2 cents is a vote for foodsaver.
    I use the make your own sleeves. Comes on a roll, stores in the machine. Its quick, easy, and works well.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12