Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Annual UY MRE - REALLY "Off The Road" Trip - March 13-15, 2014

4th Annual UY MRE - REALLY "Off The Road" Trip - March 13-15, 2014

Here are a few highlight pictures that John took:

Starting Friday morning:

At the bottom of Colosseum Mine:

Looking for Jose:

Remember when we thought this was going to be the hard part?

This about the point where we realized this was just a Donkey Trail and no longer a "passable" road.

This was the worst of the obstacles, but with some good planning and a bit of rock stacking, we all walked up it like it was no big deal!

Even though we missed our Friday night camp site by about 25 miles (due to looking for Jose and that Donkey Trail taking about 4 times longer than I had originally estimated), we had a great camp site next to an old cabin and mine. The sunrise was...

Saturday was another day of mines. Evening Star was up first:

Marc at Hole in the Wall. (highly recommended for a short hike):

Yet another Mine Shaft. This one was pretty modern, research says 1940's was when this tunnel was started.

This looks slightly older:

Vulcan Mine:

Yet another amazing sunset in the desert:

Working on Troy's busted brake line:

Water crossings were deeper than usual this year:

Rest of the pictures are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/985500...7649181608033/

Highlights (in some order):

Jose was late.
    We went down some 2-tracks that had Model T imprints in the sand.
    We went up a Donkey trail. Interestingly enough, 4Runners (and Tundras) are NOT donkeys.
    We had a couple of AMAZING camp sites.
    Troy fought with his shock and the shock one.
    Troy's truck leaks more than an 80 year old man.
    Marc had a flat.
    Jose's dogs are awesome.
    I nearly lost a wheel due to my own ineptitude.
    JD cooked Saturday dinner in a crock pot. And this is normal.
    We didn't run out of gas and got to see most of the stuff we went to see.

It was a great trip with a great bunch of guys. I would wheel with you guys ANY day!

Post up your pictures and stories!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 03-29-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

haha What a trip! I feel more like we did the dakar or maybe the baja 1000. Calling it the Mojave road trip invokes images of sailing along with dust spacing as you sip tea with your pinkie in the air. This beast of a trip was a intense back road bonanza. A suitable sub title for the trip would be "if it aint two track, it aint right". Fighting the shock for two days put a bit of a damper on my spirits since I am tired of dealing with FOA poor quality....But the trip was friggen awesome!

The suspension work out found all the weak points of my truck that were unbeknownst to me.
    -Shock rod end came loose (thanks for all the help on this one!)
    -rear axle seal began leaking (hey now's as good a time as any right?)
    -Brake line jumped out of its holder and rubbed a hole in it self against the fender (well isnt that a fine how do you do? Again thanks for the help!)

That left me with 2 out of 4 brakes working....and all on the left hand side. I found out how that effects turning while braking as the truck continued straight and sent me out into the desert.

I really missed out on a good one. However I am sleeping in a bed tonight so I will take that as a positive. Happy wife is a happy life. Gotta get this kiddo out and work on getting the family out on a camping trip or two this year hopefully.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to Sean for letting me join in all the fun. I had an awesome time and you guys were such an awesome group to wheel and camp with. I am looking forward to more events with you guys. Ill get some pictures up later. Got work tomorrow AM
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Looks like you guys had a great trip. Glad to hear everyone had a good time and made it home.

Thanks to Sean for organizing a well-run trip. I was looking forward to this trip for so long and it blew away all of my expectations.

Marc
    Last edited by boyfester; 03-16-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Yeah, that was a great weekend! Thanks for organizing the trip, Sean.

Picture below was taken on 3/14/15 at 9:26:53PM. And we were drinking Troy's apple pi libation to boot.

I don't know if this is worth 5 cents anymore. It is impressive though.

Did you get wet here, Troy? I heard him screaming and I got him in flight so as not to be engulfed in swamp water.

These last two pictures are of me avoiding the traffic jam on the 15 Freeway from Highway 138 to the 215/15 exchange. I bailed off and took the off-road route through Santa Fe Road which parallels railroad tracks for a bit, crosses the PCT, runs through a spring, and dumps you out on Cajon Blvd. This finally ends just before the exchange. I blew by about 8 miles of traffic. Whoo-hoo!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast