Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CA smog check

New CA smog check

I had to get my 4Runner smogged over the weekend and was surprised when they told me the new test did not involve a load test nor a sniffer test. If you have a 2000 and newer vehicle the test is simply a visual inspection and a check of the ECU for codes. They indicated the visual test is more stringent than ever. However if you have a 1999 and older you have to go to a new "STAR certified" smog station and I don't get the warm fuzzies from it. Here is a short fact sheet on the new emissions tests:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/newsrelease.php?id=355

The tech checked the p/n on my supercharger and even called the company that makes my wideband to make sure it was only a measuring tool. Finally, even a modified airbox will not fly. My deckplate was closed and they still noticed it.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 03-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.

I have been going to the Star stations for at least a few years down here. Such is life.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm with you on the such is life part.

I need to dig up my old smog sheets to see what the values have been for the last couple of times in. In discussion it seems like the standards have been tightening and I wonder if they turned the screws a little more?

Time to start looking for a regular air box.

As much as I am on car forums I am surprised I had never heard of this program that started in 2013.

I absolutely do not agree with the CARB tightening the emission standards on cars never designed to meet such stringent standards. And it's extra tough for my truck since it is a federal emissions model (was originally purchased new in Arizona) and yet has to meet the same standards as a California truck that has twice the cats and a different ECU (wideband O2 vs narrowband).

Seems like California is heading towards what Japan does which is basically forcing you to sell a vehicle they deem as outdated.

In a nutshell Japan raises taxes on your vehicle every year and makes required inspections more frequent and costly till the individual is forced to either try and sell said vehicle (which is worth nothing to another Japanese citizen) to a exporter or scrap yard for roughly 5% of the value. The exporter gets rich from selling the vehicles to the rest of world at a markup and the car companies get rich from a greater volume of sales.

Cali would have a stroke looking under my hood lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Cali would have a stroke looking under my hood lol.
    I've seen under your hood probably no less than 100 times and I still have no clue what's going on in that 4banger Junior Suite of yours. I couldn't imagine what Cali would say. There's not enough room in the 5VZ engine bay to get too outta hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 97 4runner Sr5, 5spd, 4wd... Awaiting wife's approval to start wrenching

Past: 88 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360, 4wd R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleWagonActual View Post
    I've seen under your hood probably no less than 100 times and I still have no clue what's going on in that 4banger Junior Suite of yours. I couldn't imagine what Cali would say. There's not enough room in the 5VZ engine bay to get too outta hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Power production and efficiency lol.

Actually I have no idea either but hopefully I can pull off the york sometime this year.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I am sooooooo glad I do not live in Cali.
    For the purpose of this thread I will just stick to Emissions reasons. haha.
    We had the load and sniff test for OBD1 vehicles in metro Atlanta in Goergia, and the ECU code test for OBDII. No visual inspection.
    Outside of the metro area, no emissions inspection at all.

Same thing now up here in the Foothills of TN. No testing at all.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

X2 for not being in Cali (while I still want to move out there....)

Here in the Tri-state area of Jersey, Pennsyltukey, and Small wonder (DE), our emssions test is to check for OBD II readiness and gas cap (depending on the state, DE doesn't do that for OBDII vehicles anymore).

All pre-OBDII cars get the sniffer test, and gas cap test, in PA we actually Dyno them when we do the sniffer test.
    DE and Jersey just do a Load test.

There are rumors that PA is going to start OBDII testing Diesel vehicles, DE is weird on that, cause they have been wanting to test a few Diesel vehicles we run through but not others, I am not sure what Jersey is doing.

Eventually though the rest of the US will probably follow Cali Emissions rules, and if they implement the way Japan does that tax, yikes!

Up here in British Columbia we used to have an aircare program (tail pipe testing, later odbii plugin) in the greater Vancouver area. They ditched it last year, the failure rate was getting very low.
    Now they are out on the road and are targeting pickups etc that a bellowing black smoke. I have no problem with that. Some of those diesels can be quite obnoxious and diesel particulates are very nasty for peoples health.

I guess all the guys that took of the emission controls of their diesels can now start putting them back on...
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast