Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making brake lines.

making brake lines.

I've been given the opertunity to replace a brake line. There are three options:
    -OEM Toyota part new or from a junk yard
    -pre flaried lines with fittings that you bend your self
    -cut line to length, reuse fittings, flair, and bend it myself

I've decided to make my own since I can make them fit perfectly and buy tools with the saved money. The fit portion will make more sense when I put up some pics. I have some pretty shotty lines from my calipers to the flex hose. They are very exposed to damage. A better fit will help keep them tucked in.

I also hope to make a new line for the rear that takes a better route. 3rd gens have a brake line on the rear axle that is prone to rock damage

Tools/Materials
    -Autozone flair tool (this one works well)
    http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...it/238197_0_0/
    Autozone 3/16"brake line.
    http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...ne/602041_0_0/
    Extra fittings
    M10 X1.0
    line bender pliers. You can get these at several places. The pliers make the tightest bends
    http://www.harborfreight.com/tube-be...ers-95782.html
    Last edited by troyboy162; 03-21-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Just out of curiosity where are you going to run the lines to keep them protected?

Looking forward to pics on this. It would be kinda neat to see the lines run along the upper links and down to the drums that way.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

OEM is surprisingly cheap. http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/t...313-3D040.html I believe that is the one you need.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

How was your drive home?

Marc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that is cheap! I may buy that one just to save some time. Its been awhile since I looked at the rear lines but I think its just one side that dives down low in the back. I just want to route them so backing into a rock doesn't mean pinched line.

The drive home was a good experiment. The brakes were aweful so I drove 55-65 the whole way and I'll be damned if the old girl seemed to do much better on fuel lol.

I hear ya. I get close to 20 when I tow because I'm going 60.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Troy, what was the extent of your damage? Front AND rear? Hard or soft line?

Also, were your running stock lines or after market longer lines? I know in the past you had mentioned LE cracking down on modified rigs and things like non-DOT parts like brake lines. Just trying to get an idea of what kind of damage is possible while out on the trail.

Also what did you do for a trail side repair?

The rear was just a good old fashion axle seal leak that flooded the drum with oil. Those lines were fine but I always wanted to route them better and now is a good excuse.

The front is a result of go fast stuff I think. The line coming off my abs box to the pasanger fender well, popped out of a plastic clip and rubbed on the fender. I think its unlikely that it would happen but I may try to see if I can secure brake lines into those clips better.

The fix is worth mentioning though. I always assumed you could pinch a hard line with a pair of small vise grips. First off it couldn't pinch it off like it would a rubber line. Even when the line was cut and folded over, the vise grip did not slow the leak much. It took my trail vise and two folds to seal the line off.

Been there, done that with the axle seals. I had mine fail twice in about 12 months and the gear oil makes a mess especially if you drive on it for awhile.

Thanks for the fix info. I carry some parts and tools but it's hard to pack everything you'll ever need. I've seen soft lines pinched off but wondered how it really worked when driven on.

As far as making and repairing hard lines I've read buying the correct tools the first time is the way to go. Also skipping HF level flares and cutters as you'll still have a leak.

Is your trail vise just a small bench vise? I don't carry one but I know in the garage they are invaluable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast