Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making brake lines.

i would get OEM i think those lines need to be a certain length. that is why the section of line that had the hole in it was coil around to make it longer without taking up more space. i could be wrong but toyota doesnt waste money for coil brake lines for no reason.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

the coil is there to allow movement between the body where the ABS box is and the Frame where the line merges with the flex line. I do wonder how a small change in line diameter will effect things. 3/16" line is what is recommended here where as I am sure its a metric line that toyota uses. I believe that will make line pressure inside the hard line slightly different but the important pressure inside the caliper should remain the same since its volume hasn't changed.

Tonights practice is making a few gift plug lines. I learned how hard it can be to trail fix one of these lines. A plug on the ABS port is the fastest way to temporarily fix any issue on any line.

Very true!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Good news, custom line making isn't that bad, and quick turn around.
    Better news, the line diameter as far as I can tell doesn't make to much of a difference as long as you are as close as you can to OEM spec size, had to make a custom line on a buddies 4Runner after we did his axle seals we noticed a metal line had gotten pinched from when it got towed to the shop. and his brakes were fine.

Best news you don't have to worry about ill fitment with the factory lines lol!

I like to go with the factory lines just because I know it will fit right off the get go (had to replace the hard lines from the rubber hose to the calipers for the front)...

I made a nice replacement line, but it did take a second try. The other lines may wait because I'm yet again sick of working on the truck. You are right though, its easy work. Auto zone has a flair tool that works really well.

These are the ones I'd like to redo so they are better routed.

I had to bleed this side anyhow so I fixed it up

Looks good!! I have a set of benders but have not put them to use yet.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12