Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on suspension, 98 4Runner

Getting the front done this weekend. Already found one big problem that will be solved by new upper arms. I hate the front end, so much work!

I'll try to grab a few more pictures of this than I did of the rear end. It is hard when I am working by myself.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I don't know if you mentioned front end slop as far as feeling loose, but this is another thing I will be doing that completely skipped my mind when thinking about your front end problems, http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-repla...ctures-215931/

Interesting. I'll have to look into that more.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

have you guys bothered with that one? I know my guide is the old style, but it seems to be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    have you guys bothered with that one? I know my guide is the old style, but it seems to be working fine.
    Interesting, I had never heard of that repair. Do we know what year Toyota switched to the solid design?

Just an extra insurance in my mind, again this seems for some reason to be a northeast thing, thinking again a moisture thing.
    I will be doing it soon, I feel I oculd have saved my previous rack and racks before that by doing this mod.

Ken, not sure on the year, pretty much you should be able to look at the rack and if the hex head is sticking out instead of being sunk in you have the old style, opposite, new. I feel like 01 the Tacoma may have gotten it but I don't think the 4Runner ever did...

Braces welded on. I won them at Pismo half a dozen years ago or more.

Burning out the bushings:

New endlinks. Total about $65 for both sides, with extra hardware:

All put back together:

It goes in for alignment next week, then I will see how she drives. In the quick trip around the block, the front end feels grounded to the ground. Seriously though, it feels like the wheels are actually connected to the vehicle.

I found my upper control arm's forward bushing on the right side spun in the sleeve. The outer sleeve of the bushing was spinning in the control arm. That's where my clunk was.

My lower BJs are gushing a bit of grease, but they felt pretty good still. I might try to pump some new grease inside the boots, but they are pretty OK as is.

Dang man! That's a lot of work and you found the gremlin too. Great work and looks like you won't have much maintenance to do for a while lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So shiny.

Man you've really torn into things, I hope all the work pays off. Did the new a-arm bushings press in easily? Require a press? I don't remember if you mentioned what bushings you used. OE or after market. I don't think I'm due for this maintenance but have some bushings sitting in a box in my garage and have wondered.

Any thought on some Nylock nuts for the links? That course thread and top bushing look like they might have issue about holding onto that nut.

The poly bushings did not require a hydraulic press, in fact it is too cumbersome to put on a press easily. OEM bushings will require a press but no fire. Poly bushings reuse the outer and inner sleeves (pain in the ass), but future replacement will be easier.

I used this:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...er-control-arm

And purchased the ball joint press in the link. Worth the 80 bucks.

I purchased:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the end links. I will be putting some thread locker on them once I figure out if they are at the right height. The threaded rod was put into the rod end with red loctite so they will not back out.

I didn't sleep last night, too much pain. Took today off of work because I can barely lift my arms or walk. Truck went for alignment this morning, so I will report back this afternoon on the results.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast