Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on suspension, 98 4Runner

School me on suspension, 98 4Runner

I rebuilt the front suspension with mostly OEM parts about 55k miles ago. New bushings, ball joints, etc. Recently (really since my roll) the truck handles horrible. It has this post-bump float, just like an old caddy. As my passengers can attest, it is quite scary.

The bad:
    -It pitches (back comes up, front goes down, front comes up, back goes down) and rolls (left to right lean), but it also yaws badly (think turning in an office chair).
    -This would continue (or get worse) until you removed your foot from the gas.
    -I hear pops and clicks when I make a turn. Usually just one big pop. CVs appear to be fine.
    -Upper Right BJ is puking pretty good.
    -I know my rear shocks are in need of replacement. I installed new air bags and that helps with the Caddy handling somewhat, but the front feels the same. The rear shocks are too soft for my vehicle and simply do not do their job. The air bags are a band aid but somewhat effective.
    -All rear suspension links have original bushings and are probably shot.
    -I have never had a good experience with an alignment shop. They usually fail to tighten the bolts sufficiently to prevent the power steering from moving the cams around. Driveway alignments are obviously not working well for me.
    -I have no front sway bar. I keep breaking end links.
    -Sometimes, especially coming to a stop, the steering wheel needs to point some other direction than 12 o'clock to continue in a straight line. I feel like the alignment is moving under this condition, I've always had it pull to one side under braking but never found out why. Pads wear evenly.
    -The truck leans to the right. It has done this for 7 years. Never could figure out why.

The good:
    -Lower balljoints look pretty good. Just the usual amount of grease.
    -Front shocks are newer and feel good still, not worried about those at all.
    -Inner and outer tie rod ends are newish. They feel fine.
    -Truck tracks straight on the road with no problems. Isn't hard to steer and doesn't have a problem returning to center.

Here is what I am looking at doing to the front end:
    Poly bushings top and bottom. I don't even care about squeaking at this point. That's what the radio is for. ~$50
    New upper BJs ~$80
    New bushings for the power steering rack (they aren't that old but they don't look great). ~$25
    Reinstall the sway bar with new bushings and new HD end links. ~$150-200
    Install my steering knuckle braces
    Get a good alignment and have them tighten the bolts properly.

So I have a few questions.

I see some people mention they went with Tacoma Lower BJ's. What is the difference?

Should I go with a uniball upper arm? I don't want to spend alot of money, but would it be worth the ~$600 (an extra $470) for the allpro upper arms?

Any good recommendations on front end links? I am about to just build them myself.

Am I missing anything? I am not expecting this thing to drive like an S-Class, but I shouldn't be afraid for my life every time I do drive it. It has become a white knuckle ride for sure. I am at the point where I am seriously regretting saving it after the roll.

Or do I give up and go LT like Troy?
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 03-31-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Man I don't know what could be doing that too you. I've had torn lower control arm bushings, clapped out rear links, driveway alightment and still never had any weird smptoms other then pulling to the right under hard braking.

The allpro arms are good for tire clearance and using extended travel shocks. The upper ball joint it the first part to bind.

The symptom where your steering isn't always in the same place after a stop is the smoking gun I'd say but of course that can come from all the sources you already know...lovely lol.

Tacoma LBJ are the same I think from when web researched, but they allow you to run Tacoma outer tie rods that are stronger and bigger. You trade turning radius though.

I don't regret long travel, but for the love of god don't get FOA shocks lol. At one point Mcm sold my kit for 2300 on sale. He wanted just 600 extra to upgrade to ADS shocks and they are top notch like king shocks

I did the tacoma lbj and otr. If there is any difference in the lbj it's very slight however the otr's are a good size bigger. Like troy said it effects your turning radius but imo it's not that big of a deal. I used to own a 1st gen taco so I am very used to the turning radius already.

I'm with troy on rhe smoking gun. However the Cadillac float feeling is definitely your shocks. Your shocks are worse than toast I'd say. BattleWagonActual had the same thing going on and after new shocks (well we lifted it) it rides like a champ now.

When I dropped his rear shocks out I could extend and compress them with a couple fingers of pressure lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Sean haven't you needed rear shocks for awhile? If those are gone it could be a big part of the problem. Your 4Runner is a lot heavier than mine and you have taller rear coils but from my experience I would NOT go with the Tundra 5100's for the rear. Compared to my Tokico Trailmasters they are much softer and your added weight along with bags I don't think they would keep up or last. They work for me but when I'm loaded down and have air in the bags there is a noticeable change in the ride. It's probably a valving thing.

I think you're in a tough spot. I've read other builds that have gone with many different after market parts and it seems like it takes awhile to get everything dialed in. Almost like there isn't enough documented past the Tundra/5100 combo for the front.

For starters I'd look into rear shocks, reinstalling the sway bar with 2nd gen end links and eye balling your alignment to see where it is.

I bought new shocks not long ago. Less than 2 years. They just don't have the right valving. Far too soft, like the bilstein 5100 for the rear. I will be going back to the Toyota Tokico black shock.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You might be ready for stiffer springs. I had pretty good luck with them and the 861 springs, but I have more weight out back. That might have tamed them a bit.

I've got lower arms with poly bushings, the old rear shocks, and OME with 883 front struts if you want to try any of those.

I'd be interested in the lower arms. Are you planning on keeping them or could I buy them from you?

I'd sell them if you want them. $100 sound OK? You can have the upper Bushings as well. I never installed them

I should add that I've been considering stiffer rear springs. I was looking at some OME 0" lift HD springs for the front of an fzj80. But I'm not sure those are the ones for me.

Sounds good. I'll text you.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast