Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on suspension, 98 4Runner

How tall and what's the coil # rating? The 861 are very tall even when all my weight ccrushes almost all of the progressive winds.

I'd have to find my notes. I just remember they were OME for the front of an 80 with no lift but a higher spring rate.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just give up on trying to figure out why it pulls every time you brake, I have beaten my head to a pulp and still haven't figure it out.
    I was thinking maybe the tundra brakes since it has always done it since I installed those brakes, but I can't understand if everything is wearing evenly.

The pitch is largely associated in my mind with your front sway bar disconnected, your description sounds just like how mine reacts when the front is disconnected, and I am lighter then you.
    I have *cough* wab-fab quick disconnects (from my younger days of no research), you can build them for half the cost and still be stronger then stock.

I really do recommend the all-pro arms, and I would also recommend getting some lower control arms and putting new bushings in, and for the rack getting the poly performance bushings, I really don't hear the squeaking that everyone describes, every now and then my uni-balls will do that from sitting stationary too long.

I would still get an alignment done, but if the problem is them leaving bolts loose, bring the tools with you and double check the tightness before you proceed off the lot, the truck still sits on the ground when those bolts get loosened to move them.

I feel the rear of my truck is too stiff when going down the road, but then again I am not hauling as much as you or have a rear bumper, but even when I had my heavy metal cart top and all my tools and all my fluids (was my mobile garage) I had the back sagging and it still wasn't bad, I am using the very cheapest land cruiser shocks I could get off of rock auto.

As far as the front maybe a stiffer spring then the tundra? I don't know how many miles you have on them, and I am not sure if your goal is super flex like mine but considering all the weight you have in the front with the bumper and the winch it might be a consideration?
    As far as the lean, that seems to be a repeating record as of late, I have compensated a little using my adjustable coilovers to get that corrected...

I stuck with the 4Runner lbj, inners and outers, I have never had an issue with a tie rod end breaking. How does the rest of the rack feel? I haven't really had the ends go as much as the rack itself.

How are the wheel bearings? odd question I know but I think that is my issue as to why I might have a brake pull.

If you have stock rear links i am sure those bushings are shot and need replacement, let me see if I can find the link to them, I ordered new ones for mine after my rear diff disaster, the rear end of the truck feels very stout now.

I was questioning the rack today in my head. I don't feel any play in it and it doesn't leak, so I am inclined to keep it original. I hear horrible things about the rebuilt racks.

Wheel bearings aren't that old. I replaced them maybe 5 or 6 years ago?

Tundra is plenty stiff for me, and I have quite a bit of preload on it where the bottom seat is at on the adjustable shock. In all the years I've had them, only in the past 9 months or so has this been an issue. It did it once before the roll and I played with the alignment cams, filled up the air bags, replaced the front shocks, and it was better. Now it's worse than it's ever been (at least before the new bags went in).

I am very interested in the rear bushings. I haven't seen an aftermarket kit.

I think the plan now is to get the All Pro upper arms, urethane bushings on the lower arms, reinstall the sway bar and get an alignment. After that... I'm not sure.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Lower Lateral Link Bushings:
    http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Bushing.../dp/B00C6MYBAA

Upper Lateral Link Bushings:
    http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Bushing.../dp/B00C6MVPH2

I actually had them saved in my favorites -_-
    I really need to go through my favorites lol

Thanks. I will be ordering parts soon.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Lower Lateral Link Bushings:
    http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Bushing.../dp/B00C6MYBAA

Upper Lateral Link Bushings:
    http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Bushing.../dp/B00C6MVPH2

I actually had them saved in my favorites -_-
    I really need to go through my favorites lol
    Thanks! I'm saving them to mine. They're still ok but I will be looking to replace in the next year or so.

Also since we are conversing about suspension I know that the uniball arms are pretty slick but would you recommend them back east? I know this year will be my last out in the desert and while I would love to eventually find some used uca if they get eaten by salt that would be a no go for me.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Def recommend new bushings on the links, definitely tightened the rear end of the truck up good.
    My lower arms are adjustable on one side with ballistics fab joints.

They have been holding up great, the only problem is they might wear a little faster then out west, for example I replaced them once from when I got them from the previous own and they had about 40K on them already.

Its been about 45k so far and they are still tight, and I really don't notice any noise that some have heard from them.
    I have recommended them to plenty of guys out here, I would just spray some lubricant on them every now then...

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a lot better about trying to find them vs just sticking with stock arms. Ubj are expensive and I would rather pick up uniball both for capability and ease of rebuild.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I have sourced nearly everything. Waiting for the front UCAs to ship, and I am still looking for some decent endlinks for the front. I found some on T4R but he is not making any until August and sounds like sometimes people get something different than they wanted.

I will price out making my own end links in a little while and see if it is advantageous to do so. Otherwise I might visit WabFab for this.

I was going to do the rear end today but I feel too crappy to get out there and do real work. Caught a chest cold somewhere between work and doctor/hospital visits last week.

I did manage to source the shocks that are provided in the Sonoran Steel Lift Kit. I loved these shocks until I finally killed them a few years back. They were perfect for my setup (or at least the best I have found so far).

Here is all the info on those rear shocks, plus some pictures. They are from the rear axle of a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser:

Part Number Description
    48531-69486 MARK 48531-60480 (07/1996 - 12/1997)

These are the same that shipped with SS 1 lift kit. The above description is a lie! They are marked 48531-60430.

Even though these are shown to come with the three (3) cushion retainers, they do not. Or at least neither of my shocks have them. I hope I still have mine or can find something to make them work. Toyota wants around 10 dollars a piece for them, NO THANKS! Only two are necessary anyway... I am sure I can find something to work in their place, even if it is just some HR Bar with a hole drilled in it.

Pictures!

New Cushions:

The all important 48531-60430 mark, not to mention seeing Tokico stamped on there as well:

They will go on next weekend if I am feeling up to it. It would be nice to have everything done in one weekend, front and rear.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast