Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleghorn Road, Pilot Fuelbreak, Pilot Rock - San Bernardino Mtns - April 11, 2015

Cleghorn Road, Pilot Fuelbreak, Pilot Rock - San Bernardino Mtns - April 11, 2015

A small group of us went to the San Bernardino Mtns yesterday. It was my first led trip so I didn't post it on any forums so the small group was easier to manage. We started at Cleghorn Road off of the 15 freeway at 8:30AM and worked our way up the mountain taking as many difficult routes as we could. My two cousins, who've never driven off road before, were getting a reprieve from his wife's baby shower, for baby #2, and so they joined us too. They had a 2WD Jeep SUV and pretty much stuck to the easy fireroad while the rest of us took to the harder stuff. We finished Cleghorn Road at about 1:30PM since we (I) took too many pictures/videos. After Cleghorn, we headed over to Pilot Fuelbreak Road (2N17X) and cranked up that to Pilot Rock.

Lessons learned for me:

- JD makes everything look really easy
    - I need me a pair of sliders
    - Jeep Cherokee transfer cases can be fixed with zip-ties
    - I need to learn how to hold the camera steadier when shooting HD videos
    - Motorcycle riders and trucks don't always occupy the same space very well

The group consisted of the following:

JD - 4Runner
    Marc - 4Runner
    Ken - FJ Cruiser
    Jeff & Scott - Jeep Cherokee
    Will & Liam - Jeep Patriot

Pictures to follow this post.
    Last edited by boyfester; 04-13-2015 at 08:44 AM.

This is one of the harder climbs near the start.

I was able to convince my cousin to try one of the moderate climbs in his 2WD Jeep. After many goes, he finally made it up.

Ken's FJ did really well on sections of the trail where a short wheelbase was needed but then also got stuck where a longer wheelbase was desired.

Great view of Silverwood Lake. It was a pretty beautiful day all around.

This was definitely one of the most sketchy sections of the trail. As a fellow motorcyclist, I didn't know what these guys were thinking by trying to go up while we were coming down. We even told them to stop and wait but they proceeded anyway. There was no room to move and the guy on the orange KTM ended up crashing next to JD's truck.

The other side of this rock was a 2-3 foot drop which pretty much scratched and/or dented everyone's vehicles. My exhaust pipe tip is now a little more oval and closer to the plastic bumper.

I was digging this guy's front end.

The camera is not tilted here. You could reach out and touch the walls.

These people decided to come down what we went up. I don't know which direction was easier but that girl was pretty hot. I shot some videos of us coming up this which I'll post later.

Jeff's Cherokee ended up having a transfer case problem and came apart near the end of Cleghorn. My cousins decided to bail out early as they would not be able to do Pilot Fuelbreak (2N17X) anyway with their 2WD Jeep. We were hoping for them to ride with me on 2N17X but we didn't know how long it would take to get Jeff going again. Fortunately, Jeff put the transfer case back together with zip ties but he had to stay in 2WD. So he and Scott took the easier Pilot Ridge Road to Pilot Rock while JD, Ken, and I took 2N17X. We met up with them where 2N17X intersects with the fire road.

This was at the start of the Gatekeeper on Pilot Fuelbreak Road (2N17X). By the time I ran over to take pictures of JD and Ken they were already up the toughest section.

Ken and I both tried this section of the trail but were unable to get past this abrupt 2-3 foot ditch with no room to go around. I think I would have taken out a good portion of my front end trying to make it so I reversed it and went around. I think this section has got worse since January when I saw some stock vehicles make it up. The ditch just gets deeper and deeper with wheels spinning in it making it tougher for the next vehicle.

Atop one of the many ridges on Pilot Fuelbreak Road.

This wooded section makes for a great photo opportunity.

All of us at Pilot Rock.

Last edited by boyfester; 04-15-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Looks like I missed a good one.

Moto riders are often morons on Cleghorn. Seen it more than a few times.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It was a really fun day, Sean. Lots of challenging terrain but nothing too hairball.

So how bad did the Moto hit your truck? Guessing the 4Runner won in any case.

I am probably 3-4 weeks from running again. Redoing the front and rear suspensions and addressing some lingering issues elsewhere.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

After we reached Pilot Rock we descended down Pilot Rock Ridge (2N36) to Hwy 138 and then to the 15 freeway. JD headed home from there but Jeff, Ken, and I continued along Hwy 138 and then headed south along 3N47 to Route 66. This is where I went last month after the Mojave Road trip but I didn't get any pictures then. As soon as we got on the trail, a train was there chugging up the mountain. I didn't have a chance to flatten any coins this time.

I don't know what these rocks are called but they're huge.

This sort of reminded of me of Hole in the Wall but with a lot less holes.

Right before hitting Route 66 you come to a stream with no name in a heavily wooded section. This is the area that Troy mentioned that is known for extracurricular activities amongst men.

We saw no one here today.

Last edited by boyfester; 04-13-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looks like I missed a good one.

Moto riders are often morons on Cleghorn. Seen it more than a few times.
    We had a good time! We were moving really well along 2N17X and I think we finished it in just over an hour. We reached Pilot Rock at about 3:15PM and started down 2N36 at 3:30PM.

I believe those to be the Mormon Rocks. http://digital-desert.com/mormon-rocks/ you can see them from the I-15.

I should have taken that second trip with you guys so I know it better for traffic avoidance in the future!

And Sean, I don't think the rider actually hit my truck. He just stalled and tilted over trying to squeeze past. Cleghorn should really be made one-way. Well, first made fully legal, then made one way!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee914 View Post
    so I know it better for traffic avoidance in the future!
    Rrriiiight, traffic avoidance.

Looks like a fun day trip. Glad to see everyone made it relatively unscathed. Perhaps the guy in the YJ had had a run in with a moto in the past and wanted to avoid another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast