Thread: Anyone use a scat mat before and does it work?

Anyone use a scat mat before and does it work?

Moved to a new apartment in No Cal and I thought living on the 2nd floor would provide my cat a safe place to hang out. Well twice now a neighbor's cat or alley cat has pulled off a Spiderman. First the alley cat jumps on the neighbors a/c unit, then the low wall, then jumps up onto my patio's beam, up onto my a/c, which gives the alley cat full access to my balcony. My cat had a low growling face off with the alley cat about a week ago. Since then, I've kept my cat on the a short lease. Doggy door access effectively closed until I figure out a solution.

I thought I could put a scat mat on my a/c, which as I said is the alley cat's final jump off point. Well it'd be a long way down for the other cat, but oh well.

Anyone have one and has found it effective?

So Cal guys are so funny. It's Nor-Cal bro.

I'm not sure what scat mat is but you could make one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4Bo7I6Ztk

It sounds like you might be headed in the right direction with the mat on your AC. At least you know how he's getting up there. I take it your cat stays on the balcony? If he starts seeing a cat come and go he might get the idea to bolt one day and he'll know the escape route. If not a mat put one of those big fake owls up there. Or a fake snake.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    So Cal guys are so funny. It's Nor-Cal bro.

I'm not sure what scat mat is but you could make one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4Bo7I6Ztk

It sounds like you might be headed in the right direction with the mat on your AC. At least you know how he's getting up there. I take it your cat stays on the balcony? If he starts seeing a cat come and go he might get the idea to bolt one day and he'll know the escape route. If not a mat put one of those big fake owls up there. Or a fake snake.
    Nor Cal? lol.

Yes, that's part of the reason why he's supervised when I let him out. I stand there on the porch with him. After the first incident, he jumped on the railing and was about to jump on the A/C. After that, I locked him down for a few days. I have to take care of one problem first at a time. I got my WeMo cameras yesterday (not for this purpose), but will be repurposed to see if he visits nightly or not.

The other idea is to prevent him from launching off the beam. I remember seeing a barrel looking thing which had bearings inside that was over a rod. This would make the barrel thing spin, so the animal (squirrel probably) couldn't gain any footing. I could easily slip something thru the patio fencing. Hmmm, ideas ideas...

One thing i want to make clear: im' not trying to hurt, harm, kill, etc the cat. I just dont want any cats on my porch fighting with my cat. Keep me up at night, injure my cat, etc.

Oh lookee here, this looks like a blast!

Click on the reviews link and look at the first video which shows a guy who purchased it to keep his cats out of the sink:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-1...s_3024144011_1

Holy crap, I gotta get this NOW!

I bought two. One for home; one that will be strategically placed outside of Lance's tent at 2:00am.

Lance would actually have to go camping for that to work.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I think Lance is old enough he doesn't even sleep in tents any more.

Going up one level at a time like the movie "Game of Death" for that stray pussy. Haha, but this time the Korean guy with the flamboyant shimmering gold belt will win this time! Ahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!

(not that I wear flamboyant gold belts or anything like that)
    Attached Images Attached Images

See more on Know Your Meme
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.