Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shackle Mount

Shackle Mount

So I finally sent my design off to get cut. It was my first cad piece so I ordered just enough to make one to ensure I had everything right. In my own hurry to get the bracing metal I chose tube that was too small for the shackle pin. My design was right though which is a little bit of consolation.

Bending 3/16" by hand is not the easiest thing in the world but it is possible. I find cussing and bleeding it into place to work best lol.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks good!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Cool project. Are they going to be welded to the frame?

Good idea on the 3/16 to bridge the sides. That will reduce twisting and bending but it also looks like a PITA. Hows that bending going? It looks like that next bit would be pretty hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Cool project. Are they going to be welded to the frame?

Good idea on the 3/16 to bridge the sides. That will reduce twisting and bending but it also looks like a PITA. Hows that bending going? It looks like that next bit would be pretty hard to do.
    Thanks! Not a completely original idea but I would like to think I have improved upon it.

I'm going to drill and bolt them in the stock tow hook locations. I am going to bump to higher grade bolts if I can but I also would rather the shackles give before the frame too.

Yeah that bending could make ghandi violent. The current plan is to weld the flat and then pop it in the vice and tack it. It should work?? I don't know exactly how strong tack welds are so it might be a short bead.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Cut notches in the flat piece that are as deep as the base material, this way you can lay in a nice bead and not have it stick out.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    I'm going to drill and bolt them in the stock tow hook locations. I am going to bump to higher grade bolts if I can but I also would rather the shackles give before the frame too.
    Bad idea. If you're pulling hard enough to bend anything, you're pulling hard enough to potentially break lesser bolts which will turn those things into a missile. Go with grade 8 bolts.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Bad idea. If you're pulling hard enough to bend anything, you're pulling hard enough to potentially break lesser bolts which will turn those things into a missile. Go with grade 8 bolts.
    Good point.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Went ahead and ordered the other side to be cut. I am probably just going to get some 2" receiver tube and make a shackle for the rear receiver.

Either that or I could just go ahead and make the rear bumper. I've had my eye on the HF tube bender. Pretty sure 1.5" is all I need to construct it with some plate to brace.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Saw these on fb, looking really good dude.

Thanks!! Hopefully I will have the pieces by next week and I can go throw sparks for a few hours.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast