Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Short notice! Jacoby Canyon (Big Bear) day trip, 16MAY15.

This is along Rattlesnake Canyon Road just before the cattle guard.

The road included mostly soft sand until it narrowed down. Then it got rocky.

Just as the book said, we ran into a bunch of free range cattle which slowed down our progress.

Then it got rocky again.

This area was really cool with the mixture of pine trees and joshua trees in the desert. Very pretty!

This is the only picture I took along Burns Canyon (2N02). That is a dry Baldwin Lake in the background.
    Last edited by boyfester; 05-16-2015 at 11:13 PM.

You definitely took more pics than I did marc! I will have the video up tomorrow. Phone is giving me fits.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Jacoby Canyon was nice but very short. We completed it in less than an hour.

Looks like it was a fun trip! Next time, hopefully...

At the end of Jacoby, John aired up and headed north on Hwy 18 while I stayed aired down and headed south. Not even within a mile, I saw a dirt road called Smarts Ranch Rd. (3N03) going off to the left and so I took it. It headed to the Cactus Flat staging area. Instead of continuing along 3N03, a trail shot off to the right and headed up back up to Hwy 18.

I then headed back up 3N16 past the landfill and instead of turning right on Jacoby Canyon Rd. again, I headed left on the easy 3N16. There was an old mine on the left called Doble Mine.

I stayed on 3N16 and reached the Bellevill Holcomb Valley area which had an old cabin and some placards.

Probably the weirdest thing we encountered today were some miners on foot (man and woman) along 2N02 who had no food and half a gallon of water between them. We stopped and gave them some bananas and tangerines and I topped off their water jug. I offered them a ride to Big Bear, but they wanted to go to Yucca which was in the opposite direction of where we were going. I hope they made it to wherever they were headed.

Quote Originally Posted by boyfester View Post
    There was an old mine on the left called Doble Mine.

Awesome pictrues!
    that's a pretty cool spot. There were two different stamp mills right in the same area at different times. The big ore bin by the trail was a scam built to interest investors to a mine that never did well.

this is the mine that fed the ore bin and mill, poorly... lol.
    bald.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by boyfester View Post
    Probably the weirdest thing we encountered today were some miners on foot (man and woman) along 2N02 who had no food and half a gallon of water between them. We stopped and gave them some bananas and tangerines and I topped off their water jug. I offered them a ride to Big Bear, but they wanted to go to Yucca which was in the opposite direction of where we were going. I hope they made it to wherever they were headed.
    Yeah that did take the cake for odd. They didn't plan very well but something tells me they weren't exactly truthful either.

Their water was clear so either they had just gotten some water from someone else or they were just trying to catch a ride. Also they weren't lacking for body fat (as in really short on food) and their packs were poorly placed and packed so long distance hiking (yucca was 25-30k). Plus he should have known where they were if they were truly from yucca.

Lots of odd people from out that way and not all of them are friendly. These two were polite enough though. Hopefully they stopped for the night instead of trying to make yucca.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast