Thread: 2015 Overland Expo

2015 Overland Expo

A couple weekends ago, a friend and I attended the west coast Overland Expo in Flagstaff, Az. My friend wanted to pick something up from a vendor and I have never been so I figured it would be a neat thing to go see. Unfortunately I didn't get that many pictures because it rained a lot and it was kind of a pain to bring out the dslr between rain showers and snow flurries, but needless to say, it was a mudfest. Fortunately for me, I'm literally like a kid jumping in puddles when it comes to rain...I just love it. I thought the whole thing was a blast.

I think this is one of the few events in the world where it can rain, turn the parking lot into a slippery mud bog, and nobody really cares and many indeed have fun with it. However, I couldn't imagine trying to camp in the mess, like many people did.

My impressions of the event is that everything costs too much. Yeah, I knew to expect that, but still. For me, a mere mortal, this is the reason I fab everything myself. I can't afford even a quarter of what these guys spend on camping...a $1000 tent who's claim to fame is that it can pop up in a minute or two? I also think the market for off road trailer is thoroughly saturated. How many people can truly afford a $20,000-30,000 camper. I mean sure, big fifth wheel campers cost that much, but those are rolling houses. These aren't.

Anyway, on to the pictures.

This was the land rover off road course where they were teaching how to recover a vehicle.

It's a funny juxtaposition of scenery, almost surreal...on one side, truly capable, almost military grade vehicles, mud everywhere, motorcycles everywhere, cheap popup shade tents, and then this...the Land Rover booth. Care for some tea and crumpets?

Then there was this guy in the motorcycle area.

And finally getting to go for a ride.

Then there was this thing. Sorry for the poor picture, I took it looking through my window as I was driving by because I didn't want to sling mud inside. Yes, that's an A-frame popup camper with the axle removed and mounted to a flat bed truck.

Me on the other hand, I'll take any one of these trucks, but especially any of the three on the left.

There were a ton of vendors, although I think a lot called it quits because of the rain. I know the BMW dealer was supposed to be there with a bunch of bikes to try out, but they were a no show. Not having done any research into this event, I didn't realize accessory dealers were going to be there like Surefire, Tad gear, BFG, and Benchmade, among others. I was surprised that there weren't more people selling containers like water jugs and gas cans.

Somebody who really needs to step up is Toyota Corporate. Half the vehicles there were toyotas and they would really benefit from cultivating the off road culture. Speaking of toyotas, I was surprised to see a lack of built 4th gen 4runners. Most of the trucks there were tacomas or 5th gen 4runners.

Anyway, like I said, I had a lot of fun walking around in the mud, warm in toasty in my waterproof clothes. I also ended up taking the long way around the parking lot, just to have some fun sliding around and seeing how the 4runner does in mud.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

cool pics. That must have been fun. The glamper crowd is a weird one, but sometimes they have go ideas to copy : )

Great pics. I follow a couple of folks who attended and documented their journey to and then their experience at the expo. It would be very neat to see a lot of the ideas in person.

I agree with you in the area of things costing too much. And like you I'd rather make it myself.

The Aliner on the flat bed is interesting. The trailers themselves aren't well suited for offroad travel but putting it on a truck makes it a little more portable. I think I've seen a 4-door version as well.

If you need more interior room than a two or four door you can always mount the Aliner on the roof.

This rig was on some cable RV show I occasionally watch. The coach itself is a regular production item but the guy wanted a place for his kids to hang out so he asked and paid for the above. I think he made his millions with a pet hair brush and now travels with his family to horse events. The rear of the RV is a couple of horse stalls.

http://www.equinemotorcoach.com/

I've always wanted to go to the event. Maybe one of these years, I'll get to make it down. Looks like fun.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Me too; I may want to go next year. It might take the combined income of a dozen of us to equal the average overlander's income. They prove that you can spend a lot of money on what amounts to a truck and a tent.

Maybe we should try to organize a get together next year then? Somebody remember to post up a thread about this next year when the time comes. We can do some exploring around sedona/flagstaff/the rim, while everybody is out here.
    Steve

I've always wanted to take my dad, but every year it gets more and more expensive for the products and more and more snobish (my opinion anyway).

But it would be fun to go and take a look!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Maybe we should try to organize a get together next year then? Somebody remember to post up a thread about this next year when the time comes. We can do some exploring around sedona/flagstaff/the rim, while everybody is out here.
    Sounds like fun.

So how many vendors actually showed up? Amazing that a rain prevented companies from showing up. I too am also amazed at how expensive things are.

Actually, there were quite a few...maybe 100? I know the BMW dealer rep opted for a motel instead of camping, but I don't think he's an enthusiast, just a sales guy. The big bummer is they didn't bring their fleet of motorcycles for people to try out. I'd say the vast majority of the vendors did show up and toughed it out with everybody else.
    Steve