Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAP-ECU3 Install on supercharged 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by HawkEng View Post
    Yes, we use meth injection on other turbo applications and had considered it. But, it is lean just under normal driving. I can feel it as well as the see the AFR are lean. I was leaning towards the 7th injector setup.
    The only time it should go lean is at high RPM and high load when the stock fuel system comes up short. If you're experiencing lean conditions at other times there is something else going on. Can you elaborate on what you're experiencing?

I know some mornings it is lean when I first leave the house and can feel it surging some. AFRs are around 14.5 idle. 15's in vaccuum and will go in 16's under boost. WAY TOO LEAN.

I know some mornings it is lean when I first leave the house and can feel it surging some. AFRs are around 14.5 idle. 15's in vaccuum and will go in 16's under boost. WAY TOO LEAN.
    Are you using a wideband O2 meter for those measurements? There is no reason your vehicle should be lean under normal driving conditions. The 3.4's fuel system is more than adequate to provide all the fueling your vehicle needs with the arguable exception of high RPMs/high load at full boost at low elevations.

My AFRs bounce between about 14.5 and 15 (averaging 14.7, which is what counts) under most conditions, but it does dip and raise here and there as all narrowband O2 sensor controlled vehicles will. My 7th injector setup literally does nothing until something like 3500 RPMs and over about 4.5 psi of boost. The only reason it comes on that low is to start ramping up fuel delivery for when it needs it at 5000 RPMs and full boost.

Have you done the usual sweep of maintenance items like cleaning the throttle body, IAC and MAF, checking for vacuum leaks, fuel filter, etc?

Yes I am using a wideband.

14.8 to 15.2 most of the time after taking the truck for a drive again today. It only sees 16s if the truck it cold. Maybe the enrichment circuit has an issue. 15 is lean at low boost in my opinion.

What pump is factory in the tank? Was thinking of putting a 190 in it. Seems like it needs a rising rate regulator too.

Yes, I just put the SC on it and cleaned everything. No vac leaks.

Yes I am using a wideband.

14.8 to 15.2 most of the time after taking the truck for a drive again today. It only sees 16s if the truck it cold. Maybe the enrichment circuit has an issue. 15 is lean at low boost in my opinion.

What pump is factory in the tank? Was thinking of putting a 190 in it. Seems like it needs a rising rate regulator too.
    I think those numbers are within the range of accuracy you can expect from a narrowband-based O2 system plus the inaccuracies associated with wideband readings, especially when the sensor is cold. Even the factory turbocharged cars I've owned (before any mods at all) do not go into any sort of enrichment mode until engine load is quite high, which seemed to correspond with a couple or few pounds of boost. I have my URD 7th injector setup for fuel enrichment beginning at 3 psi. I guess what I'm trying to say is those numbers sound reasonable for low boost situations. If you're running anything less than mid 13 AFRs at high RPMs and higher boost, then I'd worry a bit.

I'm not sure what the stock fuel pump's output is but I'm running the Walbro 190 lph. It's noisy as hell and it's the only aspect of my whole SC/fuel system setup that I'm not happy with. Next time I would go with a Toyota Supra twin turbo denso 190 lph fuel pump.

Cool Checking back in!

Hey guys, just logged in on a whim and thought I'd give a quick update. I don't have much time for forums these days due to the job and family, but I'm disappointed to see that my photos are all broken in my threads these days due to Photobucket changing their business model some time ago... I'll try and work out putting photos on my personal site and updating links where it makes sense, reach out to me if there's something missing you need a copy of.

I'm overall very happy with the MAP-ECU3, it achieves pretty much everything the FTC1-E didn't. The 4Runner runs well at 14.7 AFR and consistently richens the mixture to about 11.5:1 when I push into boost which is good. I need to get in there to tune it closer to 12:1 under boost, just haven't bothered because running a little rich here or there doesn't bother me. The fact is I just haven't had to think about the new ECU and can just drive the car which is what matters! I also haven't had a Check Engine Light in a long time, which was unheard of with the FTC1 crap.

I am still running the old Walbro 190lph pump from 2006; I changed over to the Denso 4430 350 cc/min fuel injectors back about 3 years ago now when troubleshooting the my FTC1-E and they've worked well ever since. As an aside, Five-O Motorsport sells modified injectors for the 5VZ-E that are a factory fit and available in 310cc or 330cc flow rates. If I was doing it again, I'd get the Five-O 330cc injectors since the 4430's I have get clamped pretty tight under the fuel rail (the modified injectors weren't available 3 years ago).

The 4Runner is more of a weekend warrior these days, I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis as my daily driver so the 4Runner is just the hunting/camping rig. Glad this site is still around, UY rocks!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Wow, blast from the past. Glad to hear the 4Runner is still around and working well for you. It's very dead around here but I'm still able to keep tabs on folks through Facebook. Many still have their rigs but with life and family it's hard to make time for everything.

Once you get that photo hosting figured out you should post a pic of the Merc. I'd love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox View Post
    Hey guys, just logged in on a whim and thought I'd give a quick update. I don't have much time for forums these days due to the job and family, but I'm disappointed to see that my photos are all broken in my threads these days due to Photobucket changing their business model some time ago... I'll try and work out putting photos on my personal site and updating links where it makes sense, reach out to me if there's something missing you need a copy of.

I'm overall very happy with the MAP-ECU3, it achieves pretty much everything the FTC1-E didn't. The 4Runner runs well at 14.7 AFR and consistently richens the mixture to about 11.5:1 when I push into boost which is good. I need to get in there to tune it closer to 12:1 under boost, just haven't bothered because running a little rich here or there doesn't bother me. The fact is I just haven't had to think about the new ECU and can just drive the car which is what matters! I also haven't had a Check Engine Light in a long time, which was unheard of with the FTC1 crap.

I am still running the old Walbro 190lph pump from 2006; I changed over to the Denso 4430 350 cc/min fuel injectors back about 3 years ago now when troubleshooting the my FTC1-E and they've worked well ever since. As an aside, Five-O Motorsport sells modified injectors for the 5VZ-E that are a factory fit and available in 310cc or 330cc flow rates. If I was doing it again, I'd get the Five-O 330cc injectors since the 4430's I have get clamped pretty tight under the fuel rail (the modified injectors weren't available 3 years ago).

The 4Runner is more of a weekend warrior these days, I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis as my daily driver so the 4Runner is just the hunting/camping rig. Glad this site is still around, UY rocks!
    I share your disappointment in Photobucket and Google Picasa essentially breaking the Internet. There are lots of good write-ups on various forums that no longer have the photos to accompany the technical articles, which is a serious bummer.

Happy to hear the MAP-ECU is a well-performing option. It seems the older FTC/6 injector setups do not always consistently work well. I'm not sure if it's the injector spray pattern that gets altered through time (my theory) or something else, but I am very happy to still be running OEM injectors. Your setup is doing exactly as it should and it sounds like it performs similarily to my URD 7th injector setup, which also runs around 11.8-12 under boost and it's set to dip to those numbers at 3 psi even in closed loop. I find that with 275/70R17 tires and my 5-speed that the only places where I exceed 3 psi are when I'm romping on it or climbing a select handfull of high elevation grades--one being Hwy 395 going north from Bishop to Mammoth and the other is a grade just outside of El Dorado hills going east on hwy 50. I see that as a good thing because it means my fuel economy is really good even when climbing, but when I need the power it gets rich and does what it needs to do. The performance of my 17 year old 4Runner still impresses me. (Although this morning someone tried to kill my 4Runner for me--they side-swiped me on the freeway at 50MPH...the sliders took the brunt of the impact and luckily those oversized tires and fender flares took most of the damage.)

Thanks for posting up your report!

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I share your disappointment in Photobucket and Google Picasa essentially breaking the Internet. There are lots of good write-ups on various forums that no longer have the photos to accompany the technical articles, which is a serious bummer.
    Yeah I guess Photobucket had to change something up because I can't imagine it's easy to provide free hosting to nearly all of the internet's online forum picture needs... Still, $50/mo for "3rd party picture hosting" its freakin' outrageous considering you can host an entire website and domain name for less than half that.

I was able to fix the pictures for this thread and a couple of others by taking the pictures from Photobucket and uploading them to a personally-owned domain. Let me know if you run across a broken picture somewhere you need and I'll try and get it updated to the new URL.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12