Thread: Built a quick and inexpensive awning that attaches to our roof rack

Built a quick and inexpensive awning that attaches to our roof rack

Built a quick awning this past weekend after learning an easy way to make telescoping poles out of PVC tubing. I used 1 1/4" OD tubes as the base and 1" OD tubes that slide into the larger ones. Drilled a few holes through all of them so they have extended heights of 5' or 6' tall. I used regular PVC end caps for the tops and bottoms and drilled a small hole in the tops and placed a bolt through it and nutted it off on top for the awnings grommet to slide over. I plasti-dipped the bolts so they're not as sharp. The poles unextended length is 4' long so they can be easily strapped to the roof rack. The 5' x 7' awning was purchased at Harbor Freight for $4. Since the awning width was longer than my roof rack, I had to make another pole that extends to just over 5'. All told, I spent about $45. Can't wait to try it out on our trip in a couple of weeks to sunny Canyonlands, UT and CO.

And yes, as you'll see in some of the pictures, our neighbor's house did get TPed last weekend.

Nice. Somewhere on here is an awning I made a few years ago. I only used it a few times and have since repurposed most of the materials. We use three different sun shade structures but I'm wondering if I need to redo my vehicle awning, for no reason in particular. The structures we use are all larger than the vehicle one but also take up more cargo space.

Now you got my gears turning.

Looking at this picture I remember some of the issues I had with mine. For one unless the angle of the sun was just right it didn't offer much shade. If I made the tarp much bigger it required a lot more to hold up and control. Sure you could move the vehicle but you'd have to pull everything up and then maybe do the same an hour later.

Having short sides that hung down would go a long way in offering shade. Now that I think about it my second design was going to be something that attached to the rear hatch. The hatch offers protection from sun and rain but like a small tarp you have to be right under it. I wanted something that would attach to it and extend out but could also extend down for more protection.

i like it
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Pretty well thought out but in case you end up wanting to hold up more material to make it wind proof you need to stretch it.

The military uses these. I can't remember the exact diameter of pipe you need but the CAMI netting kits are way expensive.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...spreaders.html

I wish there was an awning contained type device that offered a lot shade but all of them are bulky as you need lots of material.

Petras 26 Ft. X 20 Ft. Rectangular Sun Shade Desert Sand Brand New Kit, Uv Protection. Sail. 6x8 Meters. Huge Large Shade. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074AEYME..._so8Bvb04HQG9S

We used something like this in afghan above our tents and it cut down on the heat inside considerably. With that telescoping pole idea you could easily make a drive in drive out canopy for a base camp.

Your idea will work for a chair or two which is nice and easy for an afternoon pause. I like it. Especially for the price!
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 06-03-2015 at 08:41 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know how the system works. We're headed to Colorado next week. I can't wait!!!

nice work. that's great to use on trips