Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRD supercharger program discontinued indefinitely

TRD supercharger program discontinued indefinitely

End of an era. Love the supercharger.

June 6, 2015
    One of the outstanding questions for Toyota Racing Development fans has been answered with Toyota announcing it will discontinue its TRD supercharger assembly and component parts, effective immediately.

In an emailed statement, Toyota Midwest spokesman Rick Bourgoise said the supercharger was discontinued for a variety of factors.

"Increasing legacy costs associated with the recalibration of an expanding pool of past model year vehicles, along with rising development/engineering expenses and evolving emissions requirements have negatively impacted the program's return on investment to the point where it is no longer financially viable to offer these products for sale," Bourgoise said in the email.

He also said Toyota plans to sell all existing supercharger stock; once the supply is exhausted Toyota will no longer offer a supercharger kit.

This news isn't a big surprise since the writing has been on the wall for a while. The TRD supercharger was noticeably absent on the TRD Pro lineup and when the 2014 Toyota Tundra was unveiled.

Also, Toyota buyers have had an ongoing issue with flex-fuel capable trucks. Due to the way these truck engines are built, the TRD supercharger isn't compatible.

Sad day.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It is a sad day. The supercharger was a great piece that TRD developed.

I couldn't have gotten one anyway. There is an alpine supercharger available but the juice isn't worth the squeeze on the 3rz. That thing is made for turbo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I bought my charger new in 2011 when I got word from a friend at Toyota that there were less than thirty 3.4L superchargers in stock worldwide. I think TRD did another run of them after that time, but that may have been the last.

If you've ever looked under the plastic cover of a new Tacoma or 4Runner, the motors look really complex (and not very aesthetically pleasing, lol) compared to the old 3.4. I haven't seen the new 3.5L V6 yet, but it's even more complicated so I can understand why Toyota decided not to invest the time and money into supercharger R&D.

vs

Well I guess the hunt is on for some money to buy one before they all disappear....

I am curious what TRD is going to do now for performance, The FR-S well at least the Subaru version BRZ is looking like it may get a turbo charger....

I wonder if the remaining stock will be sold at a discount or a premium.

I'm thinking a premium.

I wouldn't be surprised if they refocus their resources towards turbo charging.

Toyota just seems to be going the opposite direction from what interests me. All of their fun little cars are gone, their sedans lack any character or driving experience, and their trucks and SUVs have just gotten huge and uninspiring. Everything has the ugly shark mouth. They refuse to make electric vehicles, instead they focus on awful-to-drive hybrids with CVT transmissions and hydrogen-fool cell vehicles. Technology-wise, they are way behind companies like Ford, using aluminum bodies, ecoboost turbocharging, etc. Now the last remaining exciting thing, the TRD superchargers, are going away.

Toyota has built some of the best engines in the world. They were using port injection, double overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder back in mid-80s when American cars were still carbureted. And they built some beautiful engines.

1968 M Engine:

MR2 supercharged, mid-80s

1983 Supra:

Even the 3.4 is a good looking engine:

And from the same era, here's what a 1998 Ford Explorer engine looked like: ugliness

Now in 2014, here's the ugliness that is the 4.0 1GR V6 (under the plastic engine cover):

While Ford is making beautys like this:

I will miss the TRD supercharger program. I miss Toyota's previous over-engineering too, those days are over.

The Camry is such a snooze fest that I bought a ford instead.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    The Camry is such a snooze fest that I bought a ford instead.
    While I agree the Camry is kind of a snoozer I dunno whether I'm ready to jump ship yet on Toyota.

Then again I'm still so far from having the ability to buy a new off the lot vehicle it doesn't matter anyway lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast