This is cross-posted in toyota-4runners.org.

After a great trip from California to Denver and being able to spend some quality time with my wife's family, it was time to leave and head back home. Unfortunately I was without my wing-man son as he and our daughter were staying for a few more days in Denver and would be flying home later in the week. I also remedied our broken bicycle hitch rack (which broke along the White Rim Trail on the way to Denver) and was able to replace it with a very used and rusty Thule T2 rack that I purchased via Denver's Craigslist. Although rusty, dirty, and covered with a gazillion stickers, it was a sound rack and very sturdy. After re-loading up with fresh supplies as well as both mtn bikes, I left on 25 June and headed to Ouray. I had plans to drive the "easy" roads as per Charlie Wells' Colorado Trails book as I didn't have anyone to meet up with, even after posting my trip plans on the following forums: toyota-4runners.org, ultimateyota.com, expeditionportal.com, and toyota120.com. I did get great suggestions of roads and trails to hit along with a great website which gave weekly updates on trail conditions.

The trip to Ouray was beautiful! I decided to forgo Interstate 70 and took the scenic Hwy. 285.

This is Mt. Princeton coming into Buena Vista from Hwy. 24/285.

There was a huge reservoir in Curecanti National Recreation Area along Hwy. 50 fed by the Gunnison River. I took a bathroom break at Red Creek campground and took a quick drive along Red Creek Road (Rte. 723).

The hill behind me is named Tenderfoot Hill.

At the west of the reservoir are the Dillon Pinnacles which were a site to behold.

I reached Ouray, CO in the afternoon which was amazing. My motel had a great view of the amphitheater and a waterfall.

I found out that the sun goes down late in Ouray and so I took my first excursion to the Red Mountain Mining District. As you'll see from the pictures, there were mines everywhere along this pass. I don't know the names of all of them and I didn't take pictures of all of them either.