Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need new shocks for 1999 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by habanero View Post
    Who says you can't go with rear Tokico and front Bilsteins? You know, if you can't wait for the front Tokicos.
    I guess I could. I had been looking at complete replacements by brand so mix matching hadn't entered my mind.

Would Bilstein's up front make sense? They would have all the engine weight, and the Tokico's would mostly have an empty rear end so softer would be nicer.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    The Bilstein #24-187244 FRONTS are the yellow ones right?

When I was reading around before getting my 5100's I read that the yellow (4800's) were a bit rough. That's just what I was reading. I liked my rear Trekmasters. They weren't as long as the 5100's but were stiffer and seemed a bit better when loaded. Now that I have 890 springs in the rear everything feels pretty good.
    I don't know much about the Bilsteins. I don't want to harsh a ride on the rear end since I don't pack around a lot of gear most of the time.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Sorry I only have experience with the Bilstein 5100's and the Trekmasters.

To throw another one in the mix you might want to check into OME as I think they have a near OE (non-lifted) model.

I decided to go with these from Shox.com : Bilstein #24-187244 FRONTS, #24-024518 REARS for $319.

We were able to talk about the shipping issues to Alaska and Mark gave me a great rate.

We'll see how they run when I install them next month.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I've always had good luck with Bilstein.
    Adam

Tourist
    Like 4x4Mike I felt the 5100 Billies to be a little soft in the rear for the 96- but the set-up is totally different from the stock Highlander. Went to Tokicos in the rear recently and am so far liking those more. Billies in the front were fine for me.

Will be curious to see how you feel about the Billies Erich, as our 99 Highlander is in desperate need of new shocks....still not sure if staying stock or a small lift or what.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

I still run the stock tokico in the back of my 98 and thought it was soft but it turned out to be worn springs. When I went to the 906 springs my travel is limited but the tokicos feel great. I will be getting the lc stockers to replace my shocks when I get around to needing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12