Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAP-ECU3 Install on supercharged 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5

MAP-ECU3 Install on supercharged 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Hi guys, I'm creating this new thread to cover my experiences regarding the installation and tuning of the MAP-ECU3 for my supercharged '98 4Runner with the TRD supercharger and various fuel upgrades.

(For those that aren't aware I'd been running a URD fuel upgrade kit for almost 8 years after which I started running into trouble with the old FTC, see thread here: My piggyback ECU (SplitSecond FTC1-E) has gone bad recommend a replacement!)

Engine mods I have that affect tuning:
    • TRD Supercharger
    • URD 2.2" pulley
    • Denso 4430 350cc Fuel Injectors
    • Denso Iridium IK-22 Spark Plugs

Tools I have in addition to get the tuning done:
    • Innovate! Motorsports LC-1 Wideband with XD-16 Digital Gauge
    • PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBD-2 reader, Torque Android App
    • Basic Windows 7 Laptop

Pictures of the MAP-ECU3 when it arrived:

I decided to purchase URD's wire harness for my year 4Runner as well, this allowed me to do the wiring work on my table and then install with minimal work under the dash. The hardest part was getting the factory harness wired back to stock when removing the old piggyback; "back in the old days" plug-n-play harnesses weren't available and so the old FTC was wired directly into the wires going to the ECU.

Wired harness per URD instructions ready for install. The red wire sticking out is the power wire, it is wired to my Painless Cirkit Boss fuse block rather than directly to the ECU's power, this allows me to have a separate power fuse for the MAP-ECU3:
    Last edited by mastacox; 08-31-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I ran into a couple of problems with URD's install instructions, I'm documenting them here for posterity but I've already discussed with Gadget and he will be updating the instructions so that going forward I <hope> these won't be an issue for anyone else.

When I installed the MAP-ECU3 in the vehicle, it was working but the measured RPM on the unit was off by a factor of 4. There were a couple of problems:

1) the ignition system setting in URD's instructions were wrong (directions said to set to "4-cylinder coil on plug" when it was supposed to be "6 cylinder wasted spark")

2) two of the three ignition wires specified to be tapped into in the instructions were wrong.

With some careful troubleshooting and reading in the Toyota FSM's wiring diagrams I tracked it down. I'm fortunate to have the factory Toyota Repair Manual for my exact year 4Runner, which includes very detailed diagnostic wiring diagrams. Looking into the Diagnostics section under "Igniter Circuit Malfunction" for the P1300 trouble code, there are two wiring diagrams which show the 3 signal lines I want to tap into for ignition control (and they're different than on URD's instructions). URD's instructions have me connect to signals IGT1, IGT2, and IGT3 which according to the wiring instructions correspond to pins E9-24, E9-25, and E9-26 on the ECM's "E9" connector; but this is an error and actually IGT1, IGT2, and IGT3 are on pins E9-24, E9-16, and E9-15. I re-wired the harness last night and this fixed the problem!

First diagram, showing the basic layout of the ignition system (but no connector numbers or pinout numbers):

Second Diagram, includes connection and pinout numbers for the connections at the ECM:

Third: Table of ECM terminals and individual troubleshooting guidelines:

Fourth: Table of ECM terminals and individual troubleshooting guidelines:
    Last edited by mastacox; 08-31-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

What are you able to control with it? Obviously timing advance and retard as well as injector pulse width. What else?

I'm not directly controlling injector pulse width, although that might be possible. Typical application is called "MAF Intercept Mode" where the MAF signal is modified (original signal into the MAP-ECU3, modified voltage out to the ECU).

I also have the factory oxygen sensor routed through the unit, I plan to try and tune the signal to trick the ECU into making the fuel mix richer under closed loop low boost (low enough throttle input where open loop hasn't happened yet) , this feature never worked with my previous piggyback unit, but I have high hopes for this one.
    Last edited by mastacox; 05-30-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Brian

I've done some basic tuning over the past few days and am happy to report it's pretty straightforward. I have a PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBD-2 reader and an Android app called Torque on my phone, in addition to on board wide band for AFR monitoring. This gives me a quick and easy method for monitoring fuel trims and the like in real time.

My tuning step-by-step so far has been as follows:

• Zeroed out all three of the tuning maps (fuel, timing, O2 sensor adjust). I tried downloading a map that <seemed> like it might work, but it was no where close, so from scratch it is.
    • Starting with freshly reset ECU (battery power pulled) to avoid long-term fuel trims, started engine. It ran very rich (no surprise due to larger injectors), so with the engine running I adjusted the fuel map down until at idle the factory short term fuel trim was hovering near zero and the AFR is oscillating around/near 14.7. Seeing the adjusted results in real-time while the engine is running is a huge advantage over the old unit! I can literally just press +/- in any portion of the map and see the immediate effect on the engine while running!
    • I revved the engine up to about 2500 rpm and took a look at the AFR's and fuel trims, based on that I copied a basically uniform fuel map across the board. I will be adjusting smaller regions individually once I get into open loop testing, but for the moment I'm happy if fuel trims stay under +/-15%, since that means the ECU is successfully adjusting fuel mix to where it likes it. No open-loop tuning yet, but it will be needed because right now it runs wayyy rich when I floor it.
    • I dialed in a basic timing retard map based on my experience in tuning the previous unit. No obvious ping yet, but will keep an ear out and adjust as needed.
    • I also want to try enriching the fuel mix once I enter boost, it really helps with the low-end grunt (and keeps EGT down too). I'm currently running a map which adjusts smoothly down to about -0.25, which appears to have an effect of taking the AFR to about 13.0:1, but I need to let the fuel trims catch up some. There will be some back and forth between the O2 adjust map, the fuel map, and the long-term fuel trims to get everything playing nice. I'm taking it slow for the moment and the 4Runner seems to be running well.

Current fuel map:

Current Timing Map:

Current O2 Adjust Map:
    Last edited by mastacox; 08-31-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Brian

Thanks for posting; I always enjoy seeing tuning platforms that I haven't seen before, or likewise seeing others' tuning maps.

Are the -1 and -2 numbers whole degrees of timing retard? In other words, -2 is 2 full degrees of timing retard?

Yes, the - 1, - 2 are full degrees of timing retard. I think the unit might not do decimal degrees, just whole ones.
    Brian

Any updates on the ECM tune and how you are doing with it now? Just put a supercharger on our 3.4 Tacoma and it needs more fuel. I have experience with ViPec ECUs, but just don't want to spend that kind of money on this project. Looking for ideas to give this engine more fuel.
    Last edited by HawkEng; 11-28-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkEng View Post
    Any updates on the ECM tune and how you are doing with it now? Just put a supercharger on our 3.4 Tacoma and it needs more fuel. I have experience with ViPec ECUs, but just don't want to spend that kind of money on this project. Looking for ideas to give this engine more fuel.

I'm not sure if Brian gets post notifications or not and I can't comment on the MAP-ECU, but I know several people that are pretty happy using methanol injection as a cost effective way to fuel a SC'd 3.4. If I'm driving conservatively my boost rarely goes above 2.5 PSI on long high elevation grades loaded in 5th gear, which leaves extra power available for passing. If you set methanol injection to start spraying at higher RPMs and above say 3 psi, I don't imagine you'd go through a lot of the stuff. These systems can be put together for as little as $150. Downside is the need to monitor methanol consumption so you don't run out if you're relying on it.

If you have the low RPM ping under boost then you'll probably need a piggyback to allow timing retard. I just don't think you'd want to have a low boost pressure set point to remedy that situation, otherwise you'll be using a lot of methanol. I use the URD 7th injector setup, which has been a set-and-forget solution for me since 2011.

Yes, we use meth injection on other turbo applications and had considered it. But, it is lean just under normal driving. I can feel it as well as the see the AFR are lean. I was leaning towards the 7th injector setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast